News Plugger Lockett 3 Hour Video

Who is your all time favourite Saint from last 30 years?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

In the words of the Queen of St. Kilda, "Do yourself a favour and check this out. " in fact, check out the entire Saints YouTube archive. It's brilliant. I just watched a feature of the sublime Nicky Winmar. One hour of magic that would make David Copperfield blush with envy.

What struck me about both highlights' packages was how many stars we had circa 1987-98. Lockett, Winmar, Harvey, Loewe and Burke were all legitimate champions.

Even those just a rung below were A Graders. Hall, Everitt, Pekin, Rice, Frawley, Grant, McAdam, Grieg etc. The skills on show were amazing and highlight how much the way the game is played has changed.

I wonder who our next lot of champions will be. None of the current crop, apart from Gresh, really stand out, or seem to be in the class of the five I first mentioned.

Never mind 2004-10. How we didn't land a flag in '91-2 is a bigger mystery than the Bermuda Triangle.

The Plugger video is pretty much pr0n for Saints fanatics like us.

It brought back so many great memories for me. There was a goal I remember the great man kicking against Collingwood when I was a kid in 1987 (his brownlow year). I was in the stand behind the goals and he torped it from outside 50 goalpost height on the run. It’s still the most skillful thing I’ve seen on a footy field. It was amazing to see it again - albeit blurry footage without commentary - in this video. Sometimes I thought I’d dreamt it, it was that good.

He was simply the most awesome player to watch in any sport, hands down. That he was one of ours just made it all the more special.

The Plugger video is pretty much pr0n for Saints fanatics like us.

It brought back so many great memories for me. There was a goal I remember the great man kicking against Collingwood when I was a kid in 1987 (his brownlow year). I was in the stand behind the goals and he torped it from outside 50 goalpost height on the run. It’s still the most skillful thing I’ve seen on a footy field. It was amazing to see it again - albeit blurry footage without commentary - in this video. Sometimes I thought I’d dreamt it, it was that good.

He was simply the most awesome player to watch in any sport, hands down. That he was one of ours just made it all the more special.

I was in the Animal Enclosure with the usual suspects. Rather than a roar or a cheer, most in the AE burst out laughing, it was that ridiculously good.

What made it better was the lone filth supporter, who came in purely to antagonise us. After they jumped ahead early, he was full of pith and vinegar (mainly pith). He even repeatedly called plugger a fat, useless campaigner.

When the goal NH described sailed through, we had reeled in the 30 odd point deficit and were well on the way to crushing them. The fat campaigner kicked eight from memory. The lone filth fan scurried away and didn't return. We gave him a send off that was every bit as savage as the one Danny Hughes got several years later. Plugger is the gift that keeps giving.

Back