Switch Pokemon Scarlet and Violet

Remove this Banner Ad

Very much a theme of Scarlet - past, Violet - future through the trailer
This is the first thing I noticed. Scarlet professor in caveman style clothes, big dinosaur (with a wheel?) as a legendary, vs Violet professor in a futuristic jumpsuit and the legendary looks sort of modern and alien (with jet engines?). Wonder if that plays into the gimmick - I was thinking a game where instead of regional forms you had past and future forms of some Pokemon would be cool.

High res image of the map.
FZPXpwMUIAIAVDb

Looks great. Was worried at first that they were ditching gyms again so glad they're still there but they've expanded the story as well.
May be the first 'gym' poke game I buy on Switch that isn't Kanto. Arceus and LGP the only two I have.
Went years and many handheld iterations out of the ecosystem.

As an aside, awaiting the arrival of a backlit display mod + USB C charger mod for my GBA. Should make my FR, LG, Gold re-playable as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When did we get the first battle gimmick? X and Y? That was when I stopped buying the games so I’m not to sure.

Depends what you define as a gimmick. Gold and Silver introduced double battles didn't it? Or Ruby/Sapphire?

Depends what you define as a gimmick. Gold and Silver introduced double battles didn't it? Or Ruby/Sapphire?
R/S had double battles
D/P had split Special defense and attack
B/W had rotation and triple battle
X/Y had Megas
S/M z-moves and new forms of old Pokémon.
SW/SH had gigantimax
S/V have terastilise and some rumours of another new thing aswell yet to be revealed.

I think Dynamax / Gigantamax was probably a better design concept than Megas, both from the concept of turning these monsters into big kaiju Godzilla types that they were clearly insured by, and the fact that any Pokemon could use it, but they were both similar enough in that they had the same problem - there's some good designs that aren't really being seen again (as well as some awful ones admittedly), and some evolution lines feel incomplete because they were capped off with Megas/ Gigantamax forms that we won't see in other games.

I'd really like things like Mega Mawille and Mega Sableye to be retconned into proper evolutions.

Last edited:
Seems to have gone under the radar but the biggest thing announced is that you can have up to 4 players in the same world travelling and battling.
Great, another element from other genres to distract from the reality that the core experience hasn't gotten stronger since the 4th gen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Switch Pokemon Scarlet and Violet

Remove this Banner Ad

Back