Switch Pokemon Scarlet and Violet

Remove this Banner Ad

How so?

The game has been universly trashed by the gaming comunity the only people who are defending it are the hardcore Pokemon fans.

The game needed to be delayed for at least another year its Nintendos' Cyberpunk 2077 moment

Shut up.

Scarlet and Violet after 6 weeks on sale is the 4th bestselling Pokémon game of all time.

1.jpg

Except it was very good.

In your opinion.

Finding it a chore to push through personally.

Really gives the vibe they didn't expect Arceus to be as popular as it was so didn't fully lean into the gameplay from that.

Shut up.

Scarlet and Violet after 6 weeks on sale is the 4th bestselling Pokémon game of all time.

View attachment 1604654
Imagine if the game was actually good though. And hey don't get me wrong, I enjoyed my play through of Scarlett. But imagine if it had a story line that drew suspense, a difficulty level that wasn't ludicrously easy and an entire pokedex. Could have pushed Sword and Shield as the second most game sold of all time.

I have had fun with it in the few hours I’ve played, but the graphics give me a bit of a headache surprisingly.

This is coming from someone that has played multiple sub 30 fps games on an N64 and multiple modern bad looking games. I guess it’s just the perfect storm of frame rate, graphical fidelity and design.

Imagine if the game was actually good though. And hey don't get me wrong, I enjoyed my play through of Scarlett. But imagine if it had a story line that drew suspense, a difficulty level that wasn't ludicrously easy and an entire pokedex. Could have pushed Sword and Shield as the second most game sold of all time.

I admire their ambition to making it free roam to an extent, but Pokemon has always worked with a storyline throughline. Makes it more engaging. Even just having it be free roam but each area that you enter for the first time be set to the level of the gym you've just beaten or whatever.

For instance I just picked it up again after a month or so of not playing and jumped to the other side to the map to progress up and encountered Pokemon 10 levels below what my team's at which just makes me rush through it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In reality I think both the "the game sucks" and the "it is amazing" opinions are hyperbolic.

I thought the game was fun, and I had a good time with it. There were lots of great changes that advance the series in positive ways. But it was a huge letdown in a lot of other ways. The performance is just not up to scratch, and not all of that can be pinned on the hardware given how some other massive open world games run. The open world itself was bland and lifeless and devoid of much character at all - the biomes were not particularly diverse, too many of them were just empty paddocks, creating a 'needle in a haystack' experience. The map design was a clear step down from Arceus (which was not particularly amazing either). The quest design was repetitive and tedious and does not stack up to any other well-performing open world RPG. There was no attempt at any type of level scaling, making the marketing around "you can do things in any order" completely fictitious. And that's without going into them continuing to ignore long-running criticisms about the games and the fact that we've gone from 802 catchable Pokemon to 400.

Often these things are excused with the line that "they're trying something new, they will get better in time," but that is not a valid excuse for such a big moneymaker. Can you imagine if Ubisoft "tried something new" and released something that performs this poorly and has so many limitations? They certainly wouldn't be cut slack like this.

The game was fun, and many of the changes are headed in the right direction. There is nothing in this game, though, that suggests that this dev group are capable of putting together a top-of-the-line open world game, which is what we should be striving for as fans. They make so much money that there really are no excuses.

I admire their ambition to making it free roam to an extent, but Pokemon has always worked with a storyline throughline. Makes it more engaging. Even just having it be free roam but each area that you enter for the first time be set to the level of the gym you've just beaten or whatever.

For instance I just picked it up again after a month or so of not playing and jumped to the other side to the map to progress up and encountered Pokemon 10 levels below what my team's at which just makes me rush through it.
Exactly, I think they should go back to Routes. Make them wide and open to run through in the open world style, but for me i like the restriction that routes provided. I'm currently doing a Nuzlock of Heart Gold, which is probably one of the most frustrating maps given you have to go backwards and forwards so many times - but its still way more fun than open map.

Just souped my Greyninja up with an life orb .

Oh boy, almost invincible now :)

The game is not perfect and does have some flaws, but it's also the only Pokemon game I have played yet (for over 20 years) that I am determined to fill my Pokedex up 100 %

And hopefully more DLC content coming soon :)

Far out, Pikachu The Unrivaled (7 star Tera raid) was extremely tough to defeat and catch ...

Was rather lucky I got him on my 3rd attempt (admittedly with the vast help of decent online teammates)

Read on Twitter that someone has tried for more than 3 hours and still not defeated it yet lol

Far out, Pikachu The Unrivaled (7 star Tera raid) was extremely tough to defeat and catch ...

Was rather lucky I got him on my 3rd attempt (admittedly with the vast help of decent online teammates)

Read on Twitter that someone has tried for more than 3 hours and still not defeated it yet lol

It's easy to solo with a Clodsire. Took 1 go, took ages though. Boring fight.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Switch Pokemon Scarlet and Violet

Remove this Banner Ad

Back