Switch Pokemon Scarlet and Violet

Remove this Banner Ad

For all the talk of the performance (which is disgustingly bad), my biggest gripe is the lack of any kind of level scaling.

I went east from the starting town, and advanced up to level 30 areas, then wanted to go and finish the Titan Pokemon line (because, y'know, the game made a big deal of doing everything in whatever order you choose). So I returned to the opening town and then went west. My options at that stage were to breeze through level 5 areas with level 30 Pokemon, or essentially start the game all over again.

The open world is nice and all but zero thought has gone into how it actually plays. The "do things in any order" approach only works if you actually can do them in any order. Not only should this be completely obvious from a developer's perspective, but at the very least, it should have been picked up within a few hours of play testing. If you don't want to add level scaling, then have a loose structure to follow while sticking with the open world.

It is completely lazy game design, which is par for the course. **** Game Freak.

Pokemon has always been behind the times in terms of performance. First 2 games on the DS still looked like GBA games most of the time with some new things like buildings being 3D.

Doubt we get a great looking mainline Pokemon game until Switch 2.

I don't think we'll ever get a decent game until game freak are either ****ed off entirely or told to get there shit together.

They're a tiny company just pushing out the same shit game after game. With their current cycle of pokémon games I'd almost bet that there working in "crunch mode" 100% of the time.

They need more staff and a lesser schedule before well get anywhere near the pokémon game we deserve.

Unfortunately, people continue to buy these games and they basically print money so why change?

For all the talk of the performance (which is disgustingly bad), my biggest gripe is the lack of any kind of level scaling.

I went east from the starting town, and advanced up to level 30 areas, then wanted to go and finish the Titan Pokemon line (because, y'know, the game made a big deal of doing everything in whatever order you choose). So I returned to the opening town and then went west. My options at that stage were to breeze through level 5 areas with level 30 Pokemon, or essentially start the game all over again.

The open world is nice and all but zero thought has gone into how it actually plays. The "do things in any order" approach only works if you actually can do them in any order. Not only should this be completely obvious from a developer's perspective, but at the very least, it should have been picked up within a few hours of play testing. If you don't want to add level scaling, then have a loose structure to follow while sticking with the open world.

It is completely lazy game design, which is par for the course. * Game Freak.

This was my concern too so not great to hear there's no level scaling. It makes me wonder how you're meant to approach the gyms as I assume they get progressively harder?

This was my concern too so not great to hear there's no level scaling. It makes me wonder how you're meant to approach the gyms as I assume they get progressively harder?
Basically the map is a big donut. You start down the bottom of the donut, and can go right or left and then slowly advance north on either side. Regardless of which direction you go in, the further away from the bottom you get, the higher the level - so it's just like a classic Pokemon game, but with two different orders/streams.

One of the biggest problems is that the gyms, Star bases and Titans are dispersed across the map. So if you want to do them 'in order,' you have to keep switching backwards and forwards. But some gyms seem to be inaccessible until you've done certain Titans etc.

It's a cluster****. Their attempt to address the linearity of previous titles is very superficial - now, not only is it just as on rails as always, it is now impossible to follow the logical order.

As much as I love having so many Pokemon to collect, it's also daunting the sheer volume of them these days. Would have perhaps worked better with certain Pokemon also being scalable. So as you progress further in the game more Pokemon are available at locations.

Yeah they throw a LOT at you early...

I thought I'd catch everything early on and then just add what I wanted as I went, but there's so many lol. Issue as well is there's a lot of 'duplicates' in terms of multiple birds, bugs, Rattata clones, etc. you don't need each of them to fill a role party. I suppose it's so people can choose which they want to take with them but it just feels a bit overwhelming.

How does this work / play?
You use the the machine on the end of the poke stops to invite other people into you’re game or join another players game and than it works just like it does in single player.

You can run around and battle/catch Pokémon, find items, beat gyms and it all counts towards your own progress.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think we'll ever get a decent game until game freak are either ****ed off entirely or told to get there s**t together.

They're a tiny company just pushing out the same s**t game after game. With their current cycle of pokémon games I'd almost bet that there working in "crunch mode" 100% of the time.

They need more staff and a lesser schedule before well get anywhere near the pokémon game we deserve.

Unfortunately, people continue to buy these games and they basically print money so why change?
If I remember correctly it isn't even Nintendo that is making them push out annual titles, its the Pokemon Company.

Still i wait for the Pokémon game of my childhood dreams, my new added criteria is Aussie based region with cool starters on top of proper open world experience. Until then, the wait continues.

These games look crap (just going by what I have seen obviously so not really an informed opinon) and the starters dont do it for me, the fire crocodile is ok i guess.. the other two are gross.

Nintendo of America offering refunds rofl.

Was going to buy this but after seeing countless clips of how unfinished and broken the game is im like "nope"

At this point it seems Pokemon is just a cash grab now. apprently there is this 3 year Pokemon cycle that Gamefreak have to follow where they need to make a new game every 3 years which over works the developers and makes them rush the game out.

I’ve watched a heap of it on twitch and the gameplay looks great, such a shame about the performance.

Wonder if they’ll patch it into a reasonable state at some point.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Nintendo of America offering refunds rofl.

Was going to buy this but after seeing countless clips of how unfinished and broken the game is im like "nope"

At this point it seems Pokemon is just a cash grab now. apprently there is this 3 year Pokemon cycle that Gamefreak have to follow where they need to make a new game every 3 years which over works the developers and makes them rush the game out.
Game is fun as f***.

I am having a good time with the game, but i do feel like the aimlessness of the open world is a bit dull. Particularly when it doesn't feel like an open world like Red Dead Redemption or GTA where you can find interesting quests / tasks along the way. It sort of just feels like really big spaces between ordinary action points. I dunnot. I'm having fun playing pokemon again, but guess i just miss having focussed routes and forced trainer battles.

Perhaps the worst gameplay mechanic in this game is the lack of audio queue for a shiny. One of the new smaller Pokémon only has an eye colour change to differentiate its normal from shiny so it’s near impossible to tell unless your specifically shiny hunting for that Pokémon and have researched what the shiny looks like.

It was an awesome idea for Legends Arceus and the fact they don’t have it here is baffling.

Perhaps the worst gameplay mechanic in this game is the lack of audio queue for a shiny. One of the new smaller Pokémon only has an eye colour change to differentiate its normal from shiny so it’s near impossible to tell unless your specifically shiny hunting for that Pokémon and have researched what the shiny looks like.

It was an awesome idea for Legends Arceus and the fact they don’t have it here is baffling.

If you send your lead Mon out to attack something, it will not attack a shiny, so that's one extra way to tell. But yeah, I'm sure there have been thousands of missed shinies by now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Switch Pokemon Scarlet and Violet

Remove this Banner Ad

Back