Polec v Yeo v Docherty

Who of the above ex-Brisbane players would you take?

• Polec

Votes: 6 4.5%
  • Yeo

Votes: 55 41.4%
  • Docherty

Votes: 72 54.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I'll take Docherty's more consistent form line for the time being.

Have always been a big fan of Yeo even back in his Brisbane days. Thought pick 28 was a steal at the time of the trade.

Polec's not recognised at all outside Alberton but anyone who follows Port knows how important he is, best kick in the side, gets huge metres gained each week and goes in when it's his turn, he's surprisingly effective inside.

Playing Brisbane would be an entirely different proposition with these three back in the side.

Docherty has been playing @ a high level for 2 + seasons

Yeo had a great start this year but needs to keep playing at the same level to be compared to Docherty

Not sure why Polec is in this poll ??
Yeo was very good in 2015, then fell away last year and is having another excellent this year so far. Wouldn't be surprised if he was leading the B&F for the Club up to date?

Polec is coming back from a near career ending injury. And is showing what he can do when fully fit. probably the most talented player on our list.

Yeo. Pretty simple. Docherty is good. But Yeo is a intercepting mastermind
Docherty has more marks and your comments show a simple lack of knowledge he is an intercepting wizard and great set up of play from backline. Yeo lacks the elite level Docherty keeps up week in week out. Yeo is good though, just not that good.

Docherty has more marks and your comments show a simple lack of knowledge he is an intercepting wizard and great set up of play from backline. Yeo lacks the elite level Docherty keeps up week in week out. Yeo is good though, just not that good.
He has 1 more mark than Yeo lmao, and less than half as many contested marks. He also averages 3.5 less intercept possessions, has 25% of his possessions contested to Yeo's 40%, less one percenters, less tackles, less metres gained despite averaging 1.5 more disposals and 4 more kicks. Seems like your comments are the ones displaying a simple lack of knowledge, all the stats suggest that Yeo has been the superior player to this point of the season, not to mention the fact he's leading the AFLCA votes more than a third of the way into the season.

Docherty has the runs on the board to this point of their careers, but if Yeo maintains this output, he is undoubtedly the better player.

Exactly, so as far as intercepting marks he is certainly no better than the shorter Docherty. Docherty is a brilliant intercept mark for his size.
Why did you cut out everything else I said? Who cares about docherty having 1 more mark for the year when far more of his marks are uncontested marks from chip around kicks in the backline compared to yeo's. Considering Yeo averages 50% more intercept possessions than docherty (is also leading the comp for this stat), I think he certainly has shown to this point in the season to be a better interceptor.

Why did you cut out everything else I said?
As that was only part relevant for me in relation to the context of my point. Intercepting mastermind, if someone going to throw that phrase around they need to actually watch the games beyond their own club and see some of the great players of intercept marking. Docherty is one of those. He is awesome at it for his size and why he is one of the elite defenders in the league. Yeo is going to have to play at this level week in week out to be up there as a player of elite level like I rate Docherty for over a year now. Yeo cannot go missing for several games in a row like he has in the past and be a bit part player that inconsistent over the long haul. Recent form he must keep up to be rated elite like the Doch. He is not there yet, but he can be.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

http://www.afl.com.au/stats/player-ratings/overall-standings#

Docherty 71 places above Yeo.
Polec 56 spots behind Yeo and 127 spots below Docherty.

Enough said.
Player ratings take into account the last 40 games, and any eagles supporter will be first to admit Yeo's 2016 was terrible, he was played out of position and found no consistency. Now he's made a spot at half back, he's been the best performed player, nevermind defenders, up to this point of the year, according to the coaches.
As that was only part relevant for me in relation to the context of my point. Intercepting mastermind, if someone going to throw that phrase around they need to actually watch the games beyond their own club and see some of the great players of intercept marking. Docherty is one of those. He is awesome at it for his size and why he is one of the elite defenders in the league. Yeo is going to have to play at this level week in week out to be up there as a player of elite level like I rate Docherty for over a year now. Yeo cannot go missing for several games in a row like he has in the past and be a bit part player that inconsistent over the long haul. Recent form he must keep up to be rated elite like the Doch. He is not there yet, but he can be.
Your point was based around intercepting abilities, and I repeat, Yeo averages 50% more intercept possessions this year. you can argue all you like about Docherty being the better intercepting defender last year, no one will disagree with you, however I think you'll be hard pressed to find anyone except another Carlton supporter that will say Docherty has been the better interceptor so far this year.

Player ratings take into account the last 40 games, and any eagles supporter will be first to admit Yeo's 2016 was terrible,

Hence I do not rate him up with Docherty. If you wanted to be rated highly as a player do it consistently like Docherty does. This is why those ratings by Champion Data as official ratings by AFL have him well behind Docherty. He has got to keep up recent form to be rated up with Docherty.

If Yeo can keep up then great, he will get up there too in the ratings but he has some work to go and a few games in a row of very good footy does not change my overall view.

Exactly, how long ago was in that Yeo played a dud game? Not long ago, do not let a hot streak of good form blind you from reality where he sits overall.
Sits top of the coaches votes?
Everyone agrees that Docherty has done it for longer and has been more consistent over the past few years, but Yeo has shown this year he has far more upside than either Docherty or Polec.

Exactly, how long ago was in that Yeo played a dud game? Not long ago, do not let a hot streak of good form blind you from reality where he sits overall.

You would fit in well down at The West Australian newspaper editing posts and taking quotes out of context!

I am a Dockers fan, when someone of Yeos ability plays like shit you can bet your **** im letting the WCE fans know about it. However, that doesnt mean im blind to the fact he can produce football neither of the other two can. I dont think anyone here is saying Doc is an average footballer, but Yeo has attributes that he could only dream about!

Yeo is fantastic but Docherty is exactly the type of player Collingwoods defence needs. We already have Howe who is the same type of player as Yeo. Scharenberg too, who I still think will become very good.

taking quotes out of context!
It is actually you out of context. I actually understand the context of my point which was when someone tried to suggest Yeo was intercepting mastermind in comparison I pulled them up on that point to get some clue Docherty already is elite in that category and pointed out if you actually watch games you will notice how many times he intercepts marks in traffic in backline that most players his size could just not do it on a regular basis. The point being not that the taller Yeo is not good in that area but to show they both are elite in that area. Hence you will find they are both high up in marks but if someone thinks Yeo is a mastermind at that compared to Docherty they out of touch.
Furthermore it is just one elite aspect of both.
The overall reality is Yeo as a footballer in general does not rate as high in the rankings as a footballer. He may get up there at some stage but Docherty every chance to keep improving. He is only getting better. Yeo will have to not drop back into old ways to get within reach of how elite Docherty has been going.

Last edited:
It is actually you out of context. I actually understand the context of...

You need to get some sleep, I pulled you up about the way you used the ranking points as if to say that settled the argument, absolutely nothing to do with anything else!

The same system that has Daniel Rich, Jake Stringer, Olly Wines, Shane Mumford and Zac ****ing Williams above Nathan Fyfe, now do you understand the short memory piece?

Now, what was that about taking things out of context?

You need to get some sleep, I pulled you up about the way you used the ranking points as if to say that settled the argument,
Garbage. Does not settle anything. You assumed that.
It was used to highlight a genuine ranking system with no bias from us does not have Yeo even near Docherty for fun. Still does not settle anything for arguments sake but added purely for fun and enough said was just a shit stir. :p
Our opinions are something else independent that far more subjective.
There is no wrong or right here. Just opinions. Amused you assume any of us can be right or wrong apart from at end of their careers.
I ain't swapping Docherty for some flighty Yippy Yeo type that plays some good games here and there and goes missing again for several weeks, especially in grand finals and last years final. :p
More than happy with what we got. Far more substance in our guy.

Back