Polec v Yeo v Docherty

Who of the above ex-Brisbane players would you take?

• Polec

Votes: 6 4.5%
  • Yeo

Votes: 55 41.4%
  • Docherty

Votes: 72 54.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Doc would be the first player coaches say "we need to stop him and we'll beat Carlton"... Yeo is getting to that level. Don't undersell Doc as he is elite at what he does

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app
It appears no coach has ever said that about Doc given most teams a happy to let him play free and get uncontested possessions.

Hes a great player, but HBF are rarely tagged unless they are genuine line breakers. He's not that type of player

Yeo 10th overall on the year, averaging 17.1 rating points per game. Doc not in top 5 at Carlton, so below 12.2 rating points per game. Polec is averaging 13.7 for the year and 58th overall.

They are not overall rankings but still interesting to see recent form trends.
Yeo got to keep his form for his ratings to rise in the overall ones.

It appears no coach has ever said that about Doc given most teams a happy to let him play free and get uncontested possessions.

Hes a great player, but HBF are rarely tagged unless they are genuine line breakers. He's not that type of player

And yet Collingwood not only tagged him, they put their prime shutdown player on him.

Think we can all agree Docherty has the better previous form and Yeo is having the best season out of all 3 of these players.

Polec seems to be up and down depending on the teams performance,such is the life of most outside players.

Why just make things up?

The week after Greenwood destroyed Selwood, guess who he lined up on the following week?

Think we can all agree Docherty has the better previous form and Yeo is having the best season out of all 3 of these players.

Polec seems to be up and down depending on the teams performance,such is the life of most outside players.
Agree with this. I love Yeo and even though he was a little down last year, the year before he showed he is capable of what he's producing now. This is no fluke.

Even though Yeo is having a brilliant season, Docherty is also having a great season.

Whilst I don't know what is Yeo's role in terms of leadership and dictating the back line, Docherty is our general. He manages everyone in our defense and will be our next Captain one will hope.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The coaches award is an in-game voting system. It doesn't rank one player's performance against another who played in a different game.

Great effort from Yeo all the same though.
You're right, but when the difference is that large it suggests that one player is having a bit more impact on the outcome of games than the other.

You're right, but when the difference is that large it suggests that one player is having a bit more impact on the outcome of games than the other.

Perhaps, but not necessarily. For example, players from the winning side generally end up higher on the vote tally. The second best player on the winning team might get 7 votes while the best player on the losing side may wind up with only 2 or 3 votes. It's just the way it is. Doc is pushing shit uphill at Carlton in this regard. Too many nuances in the voting system here that render direct comparisons as little more than an interesting side-note.

If you want to assess impact on games, then nothing beats watching them play; or even a statistical or Champion Data comparison would be better than just looking at coaches votes. (Doc averages more CD points btw and compares very well with Yeo statistically).

Both very very good players these two.

Perhaps, but not necessarily. For example, players from the winning side generally end up higher on the vote tally. The second best player on the winning team might get 7 votes while the best player on the losing side may wind up with only 2 or 3 votes. It's just the way it is. Doc is pushing shit uphill at Carlton in this regard. Too many nuances in the voting system here that render direct comparisons as little more than an interesting side-note.

If you want to assess impact on games, then nothing beats watching them play; or even a statistical or Champion Data comparison would be better than just looking at coaches votes. (Doc averages more CD points btw and compares very well with Yeo statistically).

Both very very good players these two.
Not this year. It's not even that close

Not this year. It's not even that close

LOL. I can't even make sense of that. I can't see Docherty, but it looks like Ed Curnow rates ahead of him? Idk. That's pretty stupid system if he does. I guess I was going off something different on the AFL website. Can't say I know a lot about it, but Docherty was ranked higher and averages more SC pts and compares very well statistically. So if I'm wrong, I'm wrong. As I said though, best way to assess is to watch players play. Looking for votes tallies in games where one of the players didn't even play doesn't tell you much in a comparison.

LOL. I can't even make sense of that. I can't see Docherty, but it looks like Ed Curnow rates ahead of him? Idk. That's pretty stupid system if he does. I guess I was going off something different on the AFL website. Can't say I know a lot about it, but Docherty was ranked higher and averages more SC pts and compares very well statistically. So if I'm wrong, I'm wrong. As I said though, best way to assess is to watch players play. Looking for votes tallies in games where one of the players didn't even play doesn't tell you much in a comparison.
That list is the top 5 from each club on AFL Player Ratings for the year. The full list takes into account their last 40 odd? games, so Docherty's good year helps him on that, Yeo's year this year has been immense.

Docherty has been great, but just making false statements isn't required. Yeo though has had a better year, and that's no slight on Doc.

Reading this thread you'd think Polec was a horrible player.

His last two years he's been battling a career threatening injury. So obviously has some catching up to do on the other two.

Been amazing this year. Would probably be the first one tagged of the three it they were on the same team.

Yeo for me from Docherty......then Polec.

Think Docherty is behind Polec too on best form but is more a week in, week out solid contributor.

If the Hawks could have one though Yeo quite comfortably for me.

It's getting a lot closer. On recent form it would be almost impossible to split them. Polec the best wingman in the game atm, Docherty and Yeo arguable the best loose defenders in the game atm.

It's getting a lot closer. On recent form it would be almost impossible to split them. Polec the best wingman in the game atm, Docherty and Yeo arguable the best loose defenders in the game atm.
Havent seen a lot of Carlton But Yeo actually takes the third tall on more occasions than not. In recent weeks he has been thrown to every end of the ground from defence, to midfield, to forward and has success.

Back