Political Correctness gone mad??

Remove this Banner Ad

With all this garbage, it is really turning me off footy. It's not the game that sucks at the moment (Carlton vs Brisbane last night was brilliant!) but the administering of the game that is turning me away.

Wake up, AFL.
I totally agree...all the crap that has taken place before the season even started to the AFL's limp wristed approach to serious Issues within the game is starting to make me sick....now we get this crap which shouldn't even be worth a thread.....Deller was a prick of an umpire anyway...didn't like the maggot then and i dont like him now........wait on.... oops! i said MAGGOT do u think the umpires death squad will see this and come to my front door and drag me out onto the street with semi automatics pointed at my head?

Its also in todays Herald sun

Footy moots 'white maggot' ban

By Adrian Tame and Anthony Black
April 29, 2007 01:00am

AFL Umpires Association chief Bill Deller has called for spectators who use the time-honoured sledge at any AFL match to be thrown out.

The Gabba has ruled fans who yell the age-old term at Brisbane Lions' games will be evicted instantly.

Mr Deller said the ban should be introduced across Australia.

"It's not fun and it's not tradition. It's pathetic and I would welcome a ban on its use across the country," Mr Deller said this week.

The Gabba's surprise move is part of a zero tolerance approach to crowd behaviour at the stadium.

Officials have told Brisbane Lions member Garry Edwards, 58, that fans will be evicted if they use the term.

But the ban has prompted widespread anger.

Well-known Collingwood supporter Joffa Corfe described Gabba officials as "the Gestapo" and said the term should not be compared with use of foul language.

And the Salvation Army has backed him.

Fans at every ground in the country have used the words "white maggot" to describe umpires for generations.

But Mr Deller will have none of it.

"It's not affectionate. It's abuse, plain and simple, and it's bad for both the recruitment and retention of umpires," he said.

Mr Corfe disagreed.

"Calling an umpire a white maggot is as Australian as having a barbecue," he said.

"They'll need to start giving away Band-Aids at the gate so we can stick them over our gobs."

Mr Corfe said he was evicted from the Gabba two years ago for the offence of standing up.

"I've had my run-in with the Gestapo at the Gabba. A four-foot-nothing usher had me thrown out by Queensland police for standing up and supporting one of our boys in the goal square," he said.

"So this doesn't surprise me, but it would be a tragedy if it spread round the country.

"These people are catering for the theatregoer, not the footy fan.

"The problem with umpires nowadays is that they think the game is about them. It's not."

The Salvation Army is opposed to any move to make the ban national.

Spokesman Major Brad Halse said: "Sometimes political correctness runs mad in this country and there is over sanitisation in a lot of areas and this is one of them.

"I think it's extraordinary.

"The AFL should concentrate on outlawing obscene language, not a term like 'white maggot'."

A spokesman for Telstra Dome refused to comment on the issue, referring the Sunday Herald Sun to the ground's website, which includes the following: "Patrons must refrain from using foul or abusive language and from making racial or threatening remarks or gestures."

Two MCG spokesmen failed to respond to several requests for comment.

0,,5464711,00.jpg

They dont get called white maggots anymore because they never wear white.

White maggot is not allowed...

Next week I might just yell Green/Orange/Red Maggot.

Seriously, how soft are the umps, they are unaccountable for their decisions, and now they wish to not have to endure any criticism on game-day? Weak and pathetic.

The AFL can solve all of their perceived problems with the fans.

Just put up a big piece of ply at each gate, with a cutout representing the "perfect fan". Anyone not fitting the cookie-cutter ideal will not be able to get in.

Once in the grounds fans are required to empty the contents of their wallets into a special chute that feeds straight into a big truck for delivery to Spotless Catering HQ, in return for which they get a warm light beer in a plastic cup and a Four n Twenty with not enough sauce and one ticket for the toilets.

All seats to be fitted with seat belts. The "Fasten Seatbelts" sign (sponsored by Toyota) will remain on for the duration of the game, except at half time when patrons may elect to use their toilet ticket for one visit to the conveniences.

Patrons are allowed one minute of polite applause only upon the scoring of a goal.

Sound like the perfect world?

Trouble is there ARE some knobs who seemingly only go to the game in order to abuse the umpire, and do it whether the umpire is doing a bad job or not.

There was a tool at the Eagles-Crows game last year who just screamed abuse non-stop - when the umpire blew the whistle, when he didn't blow the whistle, when the play was at our end, when the play was at the other end, it was just non-stop. I had my seven year old son with me and quite frankly we shouldn't have to listen to it. Stupid thing was, the umpiring was having absolutely no influence on that game whatsoever. I can safely say that no-one around us that day would have cared if that guy had been thrown out.

Trouble is, of course, the security tools then can't differentiate between that guy and the rest of the crowd who may shout out in frustration at one time or another, or, god forbid, stand up when things get exciting.

this is just the usual crap from the nazi's who run the gabba, my mate (melbourne supporter) got kicked out last season for "inciting" - all he did was stand up and cheer his team when they kicked goals.. afterwards a lions offical apologised for the security guards behaviour.

The term "white maggot" to be banned- Herald Sun

If the "white maggot" reference is banned at every venue then there would have not been a single Richmond supporter at half time at the MCG yesterday.

If the term is banned and they throw people out becasue of it then half the crowd will be thrown out. I can not see how they can enforce it.

BTW I hve called umpires worse things then "white maggot".

Trouble is there ARE some knobs who seemingly only go to the game in order to abuse the umpire, and do it whether the umpire is doing a bad job or not.
Should be dealt with under a common sense guideline of ejecting people who cause a nuisance of themselves. No need to ban a term - people will just use a new term anyway!

Political Correctness went mad a long, long time ago. But this is pathetic. like someone else said, what is the difference between abusing umpires and abusing opposition players? or are they going to ban that too, in case the player gets offended at being abused in their 'workplace'?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The AFL can solve all of their perceived problems with the fans.

Just put up a big piece of ply at each gate, with a cutout representing the "perfect fan". Anyone not fitting the cookie-cutter ideal will not be able to get in.

Once in the grounds fans are required to empty the contents of their wallets into a special chute that feeds straight into a big truck for delivery to Spotless Catering HQ, in return for which they get a warm light beer in a plastic cup and a Four n Twenty with not enough sauce and one ticket for the toilets.

All seats to be fitted with seat belts. The "Fasten Seatbelts" sign (sponsored by Toyota) will remain on for the duration of the game, except at half time when patrons may elect to use their toilet ticket for one visit to the conveniences.

Patrons are allowed one minute of polite applause only upon the scoring of a goal.

Sound like the perfect world?

haha:D

....and just how long would it take for Vlad to offer limited edition gold patron "sledge the umpire entitlement passes" for an extra $200 bucks a pop???

Meh, I don't have a problem with chucking out the odd punter of the type Illinois Nazi referred to, and I guess that Deller is speaking from a workplace relations point of view, but this sounds like a massive over-reaction.

I'm not fussed about the tradition aspect of it, although it is clearly a part of the footy vernacular, but it is a major kick in the guts for going to footy in the first place. Footy isn't just about 'entertainment', its about getting emotionally involved in fortunes of your team, its about being part of the team. We can't go on the field and kick the ball but we can do our bit in the stands. Part of that is releasement of pent-up frustration, often with no relationship to the game itself. When the ump gives a free kick against your team, whether it was ticky touchwood, uncalled for or inconsistent, then there is a need to say, "hey ump, what are you doing?" To deny that outlet not only lessens the benefits of going to the footy but also causes frustration to build up, which may be expressed by other means, possibly physical

If Deller is really concerned about umpires welfare, why is he jeopardising their physical well-being?

Well, everyone here who doesn't mind yelling all kinds of abuse at umpires or opposition players better not be the same people who were crying foul when Brauny let slip with the f-bomb a couple of weeks ago.

You also can't make the argument that they're two totally different things, as the same basic principles are behind both plans - that there should be complete sanitisation of the game.

Well, everyone here who doesn't mind yelling all kinds of abuse at umpires or opposition players better not be the same people who were crying foul when Brauny let slip with the f-bomb a couple of weeks ago.

You also can't make the argument that they're two totally different things, as the same basic principles are behind both plans - that there should be complete sanitisation of the game.
Really? And what principles are those?

Really? And what principles are those?

That emotion is not allowed to enter its way into anybody's psyche during football games. As I've said before, what Braun did was no worse than what's said hundreds of times during matches by fans either abusing the umpires or leaning over the fence to abuse players.

The same people who were up in arms about Braun's slip should be the same ones making a case that abuse against the umps should be ruled out.

On the other hand, if the AFL laugh off this "stop abusing the umps" thing, and I were Michael Braun (or Jarrad McVeigh for that matter), I'd consider going to the AFL and asking for my money back.

Perfectly said...........

There was a tool at the Eagles-Crows game last year who just screamed abuse non-stop - when the umpire blew the whistle, when he didn't blow the whistle, when the play was at our end, when the play was at the other end, it was just non-stop. I had my seven year old son with me and quite frankly we shouldn't have to listen to it. Stupid thing was, the umpiring was having absolutely no influence on that game whatsoever. I can safely say that no-one around us that day would have cared if that guy had been thrown out.

Trouble is, of course, the security tools then can't differentiate between that guy and the rest of the crowd who may shout out in frustration at one time or another, or, god forbid, stand up when things get exciting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Political Correctness gone mad??

Remove this Banner Ad

Back