Not open for further replies.

Sweetback

Cancelled
Dec 23, 2014
RADELAIDE OVAL
4.10PM AEST

http://www.afl.com.au/match-centre/2017/2/port-v-fre

SUMMARY

The Power were the surprise packets of the opening round of the competition with a superb victory over Sydney at the SCG. They hunted in packs and beat the Swans at their own game with a tough and tenacious brand of football. Senior players Travis Boak, Ollie Wines and Brad Ebert were outstanding, while Sam Powell-Pepper is the early favourite for the NAB AFL Rising Star. The key now for Ken Hinkley's men is to back up that performance in front of their supporters in a game they will be expected to win. The Dockers were pretty ordinary against Geelong and will need to improve significantly if they are going to be any chance. Nat Fyfe will be better for the run after his long lay-off, while Stephen Hill, Shane Kersten and Cam McCarthy are still getting used to their new surroundings. It's a huge challenge for the Dockers if they're going to get their first win of the season.

LAST FIVE TIMES

R13, 2016, Fremantle 12.14 (86) d Port Adelaide 9.15 (69) at Domain Stadium
R23, 2015, Port Adelaide 18.14 (122) d Fremantle 8.5 (53) at Adelaide Oval
R1, 2015, Fremantle 11.9 (75) d Port Adelaide 10.8 (68) at Domain Stadium
1SF, 2014, Port Adelaide 15.15 (105) d Fremantle 11.17 (83) at Domain Stadium
R23, 2014, Fremantle 16.9 (105) d Port Adelaide 14.13 (97) at Domain Stadium

WISH LIST: No injuries, fewer turnovers, more goals.

Stephen Hill, Shane Kersten and Cam McCarthy are still getting used to their new surroundings.
Got to feel for Stephen Hill. Guess the move to Cockburn has hit him hard

Friendly correction B hill not s.hill.

I don't care if we lose, I just want a close game with improved skills, with some of the younger blokes featuring highly.

GWS played crap round 1. Got a bullet up em and then 102 point win round two.

Lots can happen unexpectadly tround two

Issues from last week reviewed and worked on at training.

Boys wont want to lose again

I think port will win because its in adelaide but not by much

Port by 6

On HUAWEI NXT-L09 using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sadly, Port by a lot is my tip. I'll be on the ground, though, one of the few flying the flag and chanting, won or lose. Tragic!
Good luck! Hopefully we surprise ourselves and put in a good effort.

I've been to a few in Adelaide and have always found the Port fans a pretty feral bunch!

It'll be interesting to see if we structure up differently across half back....Mundy & hilly to rotate off the hbf...
I really hope we don't. We need to win in the midfield to have any chance imo and those two guys are in the best form of all our mids (Neale, Fyfe and Sandi are still building back their form). And if you shift them back, where do the 6 immovable objects that we have lined up in defence go? The selections will bewilder me even more if that is what we do. I just think Brad Hill and our other outside mids just need to help Weller run the ball out with overlap rather than the ridiculousness of trying to kick through the congestion (and with no spread) that we saw last week. If you run the ball from defence you generally reduce your chance of a turnover (something we need to do), it gives players down the field time to spread, draws the opposition toward the ball carrier and opens up the field so you can then kick over the top, allow your attacking mids and forwards to run on to it and fast break to goal. Every decent transition we did in the JLT followed this formula from memory. I think we even did one in the first quarter last week but think we missed the goal. I can't imagine Ross is telling them not to do it and can only assume it is a lack of confidence from our players - too worried they are going to make mistakes (but they are anyway!).

By some miracle, last week was just getting up to game speed and this week we boss the midfield, lower our eyes and move the ball quick with skill, lace out to McCarthy, kersten and Sonny. D Pearce to have a ripper in his 250th.

Freo by 36 points :thumbsu:

Good luck! Hopefully we surprise ourselves and put in a good effort.

I've been to a few in Adelaide and have always found the Port fans a pretty feral bunch!

To be fair, I haven't been to game live that we haven't yet won - and all those times we were the underdogs except one... so here's hoping the streak continues! ;)

Is anyone tipping us? I'm thinking of changing mine, such is the fickleness of these two sides.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back