Review Port Adelaide vs Crows - Trial Match 1 @ Alberton

Remove this Banner Ad

Mate that's just a fact of football. It's really not about hinkley despite "hInKleY bAd"

Alternative scenario:

We recruit no new players last year

We don't plug any holes in defense / ruck

You still blame hinkley because he knew the team was inadequate and did nothing
Agree we had to address our key defensive stocks & it was always going to cost. That is a result of neglecting this area for the last 10 years.

With any incident involving a Port player, to get my honest opinion on it I think of if teams were reversed would I be screaming for weeks?

And I absolutely would be screaming for weeks.
Agree, I use the same strategy. He should be suspended as the head must be protected. Just ask that the level of outrage remains consistent across the 18 clubs & unfortunately that never happens.

Overall the game was ok once we lifted our intensity around the ball. I'm still very frustrated with our ball movement into the forward line. Our forwards all congregate in the middle about 20 metres forward of goal & the ball is then bombed there. Why don't our forwards spread out across the 50m arc & stretch the opposition defense. Some dummy forward runs to create confusion & offer an alternative option. I just don't get our forward strategy.

Overall the game was ok once we lifted our intensity around the ball. I'm still very frustrated with our ball movement into the forward line. Our forwards all congregate in the middle about 20 metres forward of goal & the ball is then bombed there. Why don't our forwards spread out across the 50m arc & stretch the opposition defense. Some dummy forward runs to create confusion & offer an alternative option. I just don't get our forward strategy.

Our forward line has never looked good structure wise since Gray retired

Our forward line has never looked good structure wise since Gray retired
I don’t think it was any good even when he played. The difference then was that we won games from Robbie’s miraculous talent. Same as now we rely on Butters, JHF and Rozee’s brilliance to get us out of trouble.

Our game plan revolves around repeat inside 50 entries. Combined with a key forward who has never learned to lead and often plays from behind, this results in congestion

Why not play out of the goal square and give yourself 20 metres extra to lead into or smash your knee into the kidneys of an intercepting defender whos blocking the hole? You know make your opposition play accountable footy.

For all the “reverse coleman medal winner” BZT cops i think hes going to do a 360 and become a fan favourite not only for his defence nous but more throwing his body on the line for a club hes been at for 5 minutes. Got smashed by Soldo and Dixon a couple of times last week and wasnt afraid to put his head in the hole this week. Thats one way to earn respect
This is actually my main criticism of him - he throws his body out too much and goes to ground when he doesn't need to.

Just a couple of thoughts. That cross breeze (actually a stiff wind) was causing havoc all day, especially at the northern end ( it’s now time to shift the bowlers out and put up some type of wind break)
ROH dominated early but Soldo & Sweet gradually made the ruck contests equal. Lachie Jones is a real problem in the back lines with his mistakes, so possibly could he SPP’s replacement.

Just a couple of thoughts. That cross breeze (actually a stiff wind) was causing havoc all day, especially at the northern end ( it’s now time to shift the bowlers out and put up some type of wind break)
ROH dominated early but Soldo & Sweet gradually made the ruck contests equal. Lachie Jones is a real problem in the back lines with his mistakes, so possibly could he SPP’s replacement.
Jones either plays as our “small” lockdown defender or not at all. He needs to lift to meet what’s required of him in that role.

Chad, in his press conference, again, said the idea was to "get it ground" and let the small forwards get involved.

Hinkleyball 101. It's a team direction. Sigh.

Is there a strategy?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Chad, in his press conference, again, said the idea was to "get it ground" and let the small forwards get involved.

I hate our coaches so much. Such a crap gutless plan for our club. Get used to 3 goal 12 scores, umpteen inside 50s just to lose to a team scoring plenty of Joe the goose. Except the bottom 8 teams that we win easy. Rinse and repeat. 11 year ffs. **** off hinkley. Just **** off

Meady seems to have changed his mindset from reactive to proactive, a watcher to "make something happen."

Great to see.

Now Jones needs to the same. Great attributes but not using them to the full.

Jones either plays as our “small” lockdown defender or not at all. He needs to lift to meet what’s required of him in that role.
It was only a suggestion as he has shown that he is so mistake prone throughout his ALF career so far. I reckon you could count on at least two bobo’s a game that would cost the team goals. He has just not lived up to his pre draft form. Remembering that he was playing against grown men and excelling.

I also wanted to point out that the first quarter was more in and close and O'Reilly started well in the ruck but the umpires really gave us the business with the whistle and I don't think the stats were kept but it would've have surprised me if the tally was 10 -2 frees to the Cows or something of that description.

The positive element though is that we were ahead of the Cows on the scoreboard. I thought it was quite impressive by the boys.

And then the game opened up a bit in the 2nd and our skills were just too good. They almost just seemed to wait for the counter and not much else.

It was only a suggestion as he has shown that he is so mistake prone throughout his ALF career so far. I reckon you could count on at least two bobo’s a game that would cost the team goals. He has just not lived up to his pre draft form. Remembering that he was playing against grown men and excelling.
Tv Show Hello GIF by Laff

I was super impressed by Scully. Moved well for a tall, good when it hits the ground, leads well and clunks marks out in front of him. Was nice seeing the kids have options to kick to.

Butters rozee and jhf were a cut above everyone out there. Serious serious talents.

Boak moved well to, run hard and seemed to have found a step of pace.

BZT was the pick of the Backman, impressed me.

Aliir looked rusty as did Finlayson.

Dixon looks cooked.

Lord needed to do more

Wings still a big concern.

Ruck looks to have taken care of itself for awhile. Soldo gets first crack but visintini looks solid to.

McEntee made the most of his chances and played well. Rioli was awesome.

As soon as we lifted in the middle we had the game on our terms fairly easily

Agree, I use the same strategy. He should be suspended as the head must be protected. Just ask that the level of outrage remains consistent across the 18 clubs & unfortunately that never happens.
Well his surname isn't Brad Maynard so - 18 weeks suspension.

Tbh I reckon 2 weeks is fair.
But we are talking about the inconsistencies of an organisation that is very dubious to say the least.

The northern end? Time to recalibrate your compass ;)

**** me.

Gameplan of losers.

Objective should be to always mark the ****er and if that fails don't be outmarked.

Not 'bring it to ground' as your first option and if you're lucky maybe mark it.

Uninspiring game, but given the timing & blustery conditions it was a good hit out for both clubs.

Unlike the scoreboard, losing SPP is a significant loss for us. Always plays on the edge, & just got a little bit unlucky on this one. If he gets slapped with more then two games I’d be challenging the result.

From a positive standpoint, I thought George looked exceptional . He’s physically ahead of schedule, but more importantly he’s come back full of confidence which is half the battle post ACL.

A month ago I was lambasted for suggesting Mead should spend some time on ball with Rozee rotating onto a wing, I’m still going to stand by that. Jackson can win his own ball & is our most natural & proficient two sided player on our list. He still needs to tidy his decision making at times but I see a lot of positive upside in his game.

On the topic of Rucks, Soldo & Sweet are both upgrades on Lycett, but we have a promising rough diamond in Dante. If he keeps tracking like he is, he’ll be our number 1 choice ruck in two years. I’ve got big wraps on this kid.

Allir got better as the game wore on, BZT is going to be a great pick up, but there is still a ? mark hanging over Esava. He looks far to laconic at times and needs to add some aggression & urgency to his game if he’s going to hold down a KPD spot.

Finally, I think Cripps has nailed it again with Tommy A. This kid has all the tools of evolving into a high quality small forward that we’ve been craving for years. I can see him getting games this year.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Port Adelaide vs Crows - Trial Match 1 @ Alberton

Remove this Banner Ad

Back