Resource Port Adelaide's 1990 AFL bid via 'The Canberra Times'

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, I'm staggered the delusion that the SANFL's head-in-the-sand stance was tenable is still the party line some 25 years later.

Once Skase and Indian Pacific Pty Ltd agreed to stump up the staggering amount of $4,000,000 upfront (in 30 days) in 1987 the SANFL was dead in the water in terms of the mythical "they'll come crawling begging us to join for free!" licence conditions expected. The draft/recruiting conditions the SANFL expected were also a pipedream given the National Draft had been running since 1986 and the limited zones still enjoyed by the Victorian clubs were already in the process of being phased out.

Had the SANFL waited until 1993-4 to review an AFL entry as planned, this state would've been as valuable as the TFL by then, what with Woodville-West Torrens already merging, Sturt dead in the water, South Adelaide homeless and the patently unaffordable era of professionalism imminent.

Port's 'treachery' was the best thing that ever happened to South Australian football.

And Basheer's got his name on that stand [shakes head]. At the moment I console myself with the thought that one day they'll put someone more deserving up there. Perhaps 6 time premiership coach Ken Hinkley for example.

Had the SANFL waited until 1993-4 to review an AFL entry as planned, this state would've been as valuable as the TFL by then, what with Woodville-West Torrens already merging, Sturt dead in the water, South Adelaide homeless and the patently unaffordable era of professionalism imminent.

This is a great point. I remind my Crow friends, who still dribble out the old "97-98" lines that had it not been for Port "going behind the SANFL's back" to accept an invitation to join the AFL, the SANFL would have waited until 1993 to look at the issue, then 1994 enter into discussions and 1995 to gear up a business case and possibly club colours, nickname etc. By 1996 WA will have had their second club entering it's second season, the VFL-AFL having it's centenary season and the entry of another club probably pending the demise of Fitzroy; so 1997 would have been the first season for any SA-based club(s).

this is probably an appropriate thread, still got this from back in 1995

9085053438_de6f183b1a_c.jpg
Is the turkey in a Crows Guernsey?

Last edited:

Port's 'treachery' was the best thing that ever happened to South Australian football.

Nah if SA had waited to 1993 the SA market wouldn't have been as valuable as the TFL, it would have still been a valuable part of the puzzle, but it would have meant the AFL could have screwed the SANFL harder or a better chance to openly by pass them and talk to Port and Norwood. Tassie may have got a team in 1993 if we kept saying no.

Nah if SA had waited to 1993 the SA market wouldn't have been as valuable as the TFL, it would have still been a valuable part of the puzzle, but it would have meant the AFL could have screwed the SANFL harder or a better chance to openly by pass them and talk to Port and Norwood. Tassie may have got a team in 1993 if we kept saying no.
Oh no, you mean Port killed Tassie football too? So much blood on our hands ;)

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/ru...ed-port-adelaide/story-fndv8s6g-1226974216248
Rucci: Former AFL boss Ross Oakley admits ‘we owed Port Adelaide’
IN 1994, SA football was amid a lengthy and costly bidding process for the second SA-based AFL licence that was won by Port Adelaide.
Actually, there was no race. The AFL always wanted Port Adelaide - and now then AFL chief, Ross Oakley, admits as much in his memoirs, The Phoenix Rises, that were released yesterday.
“It was a little bit, we owe Port Adelaide one,” Oakley told The Advertiser on Tuesday.
This is in reference to the Port Adelaide Football Club breaking the SANFL impasse on VFL expansion in 1990 but not being rewarded with the first SA-based AFL
More...
http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/ru...ed-port-adelaide/story-fndv8s6g-1226974216248

While the V/AFL did owe us one, we made the decision easy for them with our proposal.

Glenelg/North had a couple of A4 pages stapled to a manila folder.
Bucky walked in with a 3inch thick leather-bound tome.

The unofficial premiership.

Clearly remember Michael Aish blowing a fuse on 5AA after we were awarded the 2nd license.

Now Aishy was, is and will always be my favourite non-Port player, but to borrow a great payout from when I was a kid:

SUCK EGGS!!!

shit... even as a 10/11 year old during the time of the 2nd license proposals, and without even really knowing what had happened in 1990 (was too young) I knew that there was no way that it wasn't going to be Port Adelaide to get the it...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

SANFL endorses composite bid (over 100 years of SANFL football for a Baltimore knock-off?)
did lol.
You do realise Baltimore were set up in 1996 right?

this is probably an appropriate thread, still got this from back in 1995

9085053438_de6f183b1a_c.jpg
Every time I go home to Adelaide, my old bedroom still has the news paper pic after we won the 96 premiership, stuck above my desk.
The picture has the AFL teams sitting in a boardroom and outside is a massive Port Magpie knocking on the window. The frightened doorman is saying something like. "A Mister Port Adelaide to see you all..."

I will see if I can get Mum or Dad to scan it.....then spend 4 hours explaining how to attach it to an email......

Interesting that Richmond were the only Club to supprot our bid over the SANFL's. They've been helping us out even before we were in the league!
From memory, Richmond were the most vocal in the mid 90s in trying to limit any recruiting concessions afforded to us.

From memory, Richmond were the most vocal in the mid 90s in trying to limit any recruiting concessions afforded to us.

St Kilda wasn't it? Their president at the time was absolutely aware of who we are and what we were about and called for a huge watering down of what was originally offered.

We got the last laugh in 2004 at least.

Might have been St Kilda too, but I'm fairly sure I can recall newspaper articles at the time where Richmond was particularly vocal in their opposition. May have been Leon Daphne.

Yeah Norwood, so loyal.
I remember being at Norwood Oval in the early 1990's, when the then Norwood GM, Glen Rosser walked past me. Now Rosser had made a statement a week or two earlier in the SA Footy Times, saying that "hell will freeze over before we let Port into the AFL". As he got next to me, I said "look out hell is about to freeze over". He told me to "get stuffed" and I said something like "you are a wa*ker. He just kept walking, but it was quite a turbulent few years from 1990 until we were awarded the licence in December 1994.

I remember being at Norwood Oval in the early 1990's, when the then Norwood GM, Glen Rosser walked past me. Now Rosser had made a statement a week or two earlier in the SA Footy Times, saying that "hell will freeze over before we let Port into the AFL". As he got next to me, I said "look out hell is about to freeze over". He told me to "get stuffed" and I said something like "you are a wa*ker. He just kept walking, but it was quite a turbulent few years from 1990 until we were awarded the licence in December 1994.

Some of the blues with opposition supporters were memorable. :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back