Port Adelaide's China game strategy

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He didn't say premiership points and he didn't refer to AFL it was a general comment. I'm sure Travis Boak knows there was an Olympics in China. There's the Asian Champions League et al.
Wow, another monumental blow. Could this be the end of Port's China experiment?
Port Adelaide are not short of possible partners for next year’s venture into China. Melbourne would consider packing their bags once the full details and obligations were made clear and found to be suitable. Even Collingwood could be tempted if the Demons were to lose interest.
Cool. I've heard Adelaide and Essendon are also very interested.

He didn't say premiership points and he didn't refer to AFL it was a general comment. I'm sure Travis Boak knows there was an Olympics in China. There's the Asian Champions League et al.
Really really splitting hairs
So 5k got tickets and the club is using this figure to say 5k are traveling over from SA? I suspect many of those were purchased for people already in China. I doubt the airlines can absorb an extra 5k trips in a week or 2.
Over 5,000 Port Adelaide supporters are expected to make the journey to Shanghai, which Mr Thomas says is a significant endorsement from the club's fan base.

“To have over 5,000 of our passionate fans make the journey over – many with our new international airline partner Cathay Pacific – is a massive stamp of approval from our supporter base," he said.

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2017-04-20/shanghai-tickets-sold-out

So Travis Boak saying he's looking forward to this being the first western pro sport to play for official points in China?

******* hell this has exposed the ignorance of the AFL outside of Australia. A ******* embarrassment.
I assume he means in a domestic competition. Rules out Asian Champions league, Olympics and F1.

NBA, NFL, EPL, MLB have all looked at playing for points in China. None of them have got there.

You can argue whether that's a good or bad thing but the AFL, Port and GC are making it happen. There's some mayo on the statement but I think it's not entirely unfair.

Really really splitting hairs

Over 5,000 Port Adelaide supporters are expected to make the journey to Shanghai, which Mr Thomas says is a significant endorsement from the club's fan base.

“To have over 5,000 of our passionate fans make the journey over – many with our new international airline partner Cathay Pacific – is a massive stamp of approval from our supporter base," he said.

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2017-04-20/shanghai-tickets-sold-out
Yes I know the club has stated 5k fans are travelling over, my question was how do they know 5k fans are travelling over? Is it simply an assumption that each ticket sold through the registration thing equals a person travelling over?

I assume he means in a domestic competition. Rules out Asian Champions league, Olympics and F1.

NBA, NFL, EPL, MLB have all looked at playing for points in China. None of them have got there.

You can argue whether that's a good or bad thing but the AFL, Port and GC are making it happen. There's some mayo on the statement but I think it's not entirely unfair.

The V8 Supercars held a round for points in China during the 2005 season at the Shanghai International Circuit, so the AFL isn't even the first Australian domestic competition to compete for points in China. Whatever way you want to write it, Boak got it wrong and the AFL looks stupid because of it

Yes I know the club has stated 5k fans are travelling over, my question was how do they know 5k fans are travelling over? Is it simply an assumption that each ticket sold through the registration thing equals a person travelling over?
Why is this even an issue? There will be close to 10K in the stadium, who cares where they come from?

Just interested in all the figures being thrown around. 5k travelling over, $2m profit already, someone claiming 17-25k crowd yet you and others are saying 10k. Lots of claims but not much to back them up.
Who has said anything about a 17-25k crowd?

The ground this year has been configured to hold 11k.

At the Port AGM we were told that the ground can accommodate 25k for games in coming years.

The ONLY time the Chinese will ever take an interest in this sport is in 10 years when we're all in Chinese Concentration Camps and the guards watch over us as we're allowed to play a game on a muddy field before going back to the field to toil for 12 hours a day.

The AFL will never work overseas and it's an embarrassment to even consider it a possibility.

When a ticket is paid for one would assume that means they are travelling. The second allocation of tickets were sold out within two hours. Plus most of the travel packages were booked through the club's travel agent partner. Port has pretty passionate supporters who are right behind the venture. I tried but couldn't get leave from work this year to go but I am hoping to next year.

The ONLY time the Chinese will ever take an interest in this sport is in 10 years when we're all in Chinese Concentration Camps and the guards watch over us as we're allowed to play a game on a muddy field before going back to the field to toil for 12 hours a day.

The AFL will never work overseas and it's an embarrassment to even consider it a possibility.
Sigh...People just don't get what this is about.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The V8 Supercars held a round for points in China during the 2005 season at the Shanghai International Circuit, so the AFL isn't even the first Australian domestic competition to compete for points in China. Whatever way you want to write it, Boak got it wrong and the AFL looks stupid because of it
Grasping at the proverbial straws. It's so very amusing.

Just interested in all the figures being thrown around. 5k travelling over, $2m profit already, someone claiming 17-25k crowd yet you and others are saying 10k. Lots of claims but not much to back them up.
Where has this $2m profit figure come from?

It's cost $4m for the game and by all reports we will break even thanks to all the sponsorship we've managed to secure.

The only reports we've had on crowd are that the capacity is somewhere between 10,500 and 12,500. There will not be 17k.

Mate every other club and football observer has expressed their surprise at why this is happening. Only Port Adelaide Power officials and supporters see it differently. Your ignorance is astounding. Then again, perhaps not.
Your surprise is because you have only been following it on the surface and what the anti port media keep spouting.. perhaps read our Legendary China thread, hundreds of pages of it with links,instead of continually going in circles derp derp.
Let me help you understand. All you are doing is looking at the surface of a game in China. Port has a whole year of bilateral events with China this year. Sports diplomacy, understanding, business, sponsorship.
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...y/news-story/19bd9ffd541402b51c80f279a0af8910

You think the primary goal of this game is to attract x amount of Chinese members/supporters and players, right? So far off the mark it's not funny.

Mate every other club and football observer has expressed their surprise at why this is happening. Only Port Adelaide Power officials and supporters see it differently. Your ignorance is astounding. Then again, perhaps not.

They think the world is aginst Port amd there are a bunch of conspiracy all placed fairly and squarely against them, infact the adelaide drows area secret organisation that own and control the media which is we get so much given to us on a platter. They dont understand the media is there to make money its a money making business that do things tomake money. If Adelaide have majority of support they will get majority air time, its all about making money for them and nothing else. One great club is a classic I actually thought he was like myself but then realised he actually truly seriously believes in conspiracies

They think the world is aginst Port amd there are a bunch of conspiracy all placed fairly and squarely against them, infact the adelaide drows area secret organisation that own and control the media which is we get so much given to us on a platter. They dont understand the media is there to make money its a money making business that do things tomake money. If Adelaide have majority of support they will get majority air time, its all about making money for them and nothing else. One great club is a classic I actually thought he was like myself but then realised he actually truly seriously believes in conspiracies
Unknown.png

Your surprise is because you have only been following it on the surface and what the anti port media keep spouting.. perhaps read our Legendary China thread, hundreds of pages of it with links,instead of continually going in circles derp derp.
Let me help you understand. All you are doing is looking at the surface of a game in China. Port has a whole year of bilateral events with China this year. Sports diplomacy, understanding, business, sponsorship.
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...y/news-story/19bd9ffd541402b51c80f279a0af8910

You do realise hwo much government support there is for this. or as I said proffessionals like KPMG or even banks like Bank of China they do this sort of thing daily with dozens of staff who are both qualified and know the culture and language difficulties

Do you think Port are offering grants to these businesses like both the state and federal gocernments are handng out or Loans lile EFIC do to get business funding to enter the overseas markets

You would be negilgent as a business to think Port Adelaide can acheive what these others can

Port are just skimming at bit off the top acting as a broker to try and capitalise on their profile with a few SA businesses who will put faith in them, good luck to them if they can make a few hundred out of it. Please dont say its a community thing, it is what it is!

You would think the AFL would get it right in sunny queensland first, although it does amaze me it hasnt more support in that state, with the Grey Nomads retiring to the sunny climate from Vic and SA

So concur Queensland first and then rest of the world will fall? It won't. The AFL think that the sport has some small footprint outside of its border when everyone except seems to know it doesn't. Shit even New Zealand couldn't be arsed with the sport.

I think its cute that PAP supporters so desperately need everyones elses approval. The keyboard hard on here trying to prove that China is the future of AFL football.
Just let them have this costly exercise to enjoy while they post another financial loss for the 10th year in a row. Will be knocking on AFL and SANFL doors soon with their hands outstretched for more money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back