Port Adelaide's China game strategy

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mate you haven't made a cent from this game although we here some BS of 2 million from port posters

So it comes out of your cash flow that cash flow has a portion received from other clubs equalisation fund that money could have be spent on wages but if it was t received that wages would need to come from somewhere so effectively the funds used to go to china and promote the game. If you didn't receive equalisation funds any moneys spent on china would need to cover those areas. It's really not hard to understand

If you are receiving other clubs money I hope you are responsible with it not just a junket

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I guess your club isn't complaining about taking AFL's money for your AFLW team because I'm not, good luck to you.
As for Port, You only need to look at our list of sponsors 4 years ago and compare them to now to see how successful our China strategy is becoming. These things take time. AFL will do well out of this too.

So they have a deal to broadcast into China or not?
I could be wrong, but my understanding is that this game might not be broadcast directly but a special version will be compiled with extra stuff in it that will be aired separately on one of the major stations, although at the moment KT is still negotiating all this. People are still not really understanding that having the game beamed live into China is not the main point of the exercise. The big picture is the stuff that is going on around the game with Port and GC and Chinese and Australian companies. It has taken a while (years) for us on our own board to even begin to understand the nuances of the China strategy, so I am not surprised by the lack of insight from other clubs.

5000 port supporters have gone over? thats a lie.

Will be lucky to have 2000 actual port adelaide power supporters that have gone over. Merchandise expenses will be through the roof for PAP with all the free scarves and beanies they will be giving away out front of the stadium to anyone that will wear them. Bit like the tarps at football park, will appear as though the supporters really got on board.

this will be a failure. we all know it except for PAP supporters.

I could be wrong, but my understanding is that this game might not be broadcast directly but a special version will be compiled with extra stuff in it that will be aired separately on one of the major stations, although at the moment KT is still negotiating all this. People are still not really understanding that having the game beamed live into China is not the main point of the exercise. The big picture is the stuff that is going on around the game with Port and GC and Chinese and Australian companies. It has taken a while (years) for us on our own board to even begin to understand the nuances of the China strategy, so I am not surprised by the lack of insight from other clubs.

I think part of the problem is the two tier discussion around this event

For those saying its a massive corp hospitality function, you are 100% bang on. Attendance, tv, even the game are minor issues, everything is about the underlying dollars funding the event - and all of this is well in place

For those saying this is port adelaide growing its brand and membership base into china, tv is essential. Firstly i find this whole discussion don quiotesque, because imo aussie rules will never be a thing in china (outside expats). People talking 1% of shanghai become power members are kidding themselves. Now none of this can be done without tv IF this fantasy as a snowflakes of happening.

Fwiw this and the gc flights are on the afl for me. Afl controls broadcast rights, not port. If cctv have no interest, they should have worked faster for a plan b. Ffs worst case make afl live stream free worldwide to the game as a last resort. The afl cant bang its stupid "taking afl to the world" talk without local tv supporting it

On the flights, i havent looked into this tbh, but i thought virgin had exclusivity on all flights for afl teams in its deal with the afl. Its why i was surprised port flew with CP. Afl should have owned the logistics for both clubs and its officials. Fwiw i think the afl needs to do interstate travel for clubs better, so im not surprised they let this plod along outside their control

I think part of the problem is the two tier discussion around this event

For those saying its a massive corp hospitality function, you are 100% bang on. Attendance, tv, even the game are minor issues, everything is about the underlying dollars funding the event - and all of this is well in place

For those saying this is port adelaide growing its brand and membership base into china, tv is essential. Firstly i find this whole discussion don quiotesque, because imo aussie rules will never be a thing in china (outside expats). People talking 1% of shanghai become power members are kidding themselves. Now none of this can be done without tv IF this fantasy as a snowflakes of happening.

Fwiw this and the gc flights are on the afl for me. Afl controls broadcast rights, not port. If cctv have no interest, they should have worked faster for a plan b. Ffs worst case make afl live stream free worldwide to the game as a last resort. The afl cant bang its stupid "taking afl to the world" talk without local tv supporting it

On the flights, i havent looked into this tbh, but i thought virgin had exclusivity on all flights for afl teams in its deal with the afl. Its why i was surprised port flew with CP. Afl should have owned the logistics for both clubs and its officials. Fwiw i think the afl needs to do interstate travel for clubs better, so im not surprised they let this plod along outside their control
I'm assuming we have the CCTV deal during the season, but this game is a bit different as there was talk of it being on one of the Prime stations.
I doubt anyone at Port sees this as a way of gaining many more paid members, especially not in China (might get a few Chinese in Adelaide, who knows) Perhaps that's what people outside of our club are assuming we are after, but that's not the real point of the exercise at all. It's about building business relations through sport. It takes years and years to achieve, not months, especially with China. All sporting codes are trying to connect with China, so why not Australia too. And the fact that we are the first code to play for Premiership points over there considering we are new in that market is outstanding.

It's not a quick fix but Port a few years past were sinking fast and mocked and abused by all and sundry for needing AFL assistance, so we got off our bums and are trying something. Something that will benefit the AFL as a whole too. People knocking it because we're not an instant success are so far off the mark, it's ridiculous. Port's management and our China team are well aware of the work still to be done. At this stage it's a game of centimeters gained, not meters so already Port have done exceedingly well. Adelaide FC are our worst knockers, but that is because it's personal for them, they fear Port having any success at all.

Yes, as for the GCS flights. it seems it was very poorly planned, be that the GCS or the AFL's fault, who knows.
The amount of sooking by the GCS and the Vic media about this is crazy though. Really makes the AFL a laughing stock when you see how frequently and far other sporting codes travel. It's not Mars they are going to. Shows how insular and small minded the AFL community is. Still, someone has to be brave, test the waters and forge ahead. Without risk there is no gain. This holds true for all great and new ventures.

I guess your club isn't complaining about taking AFL's money for your AFLW team because I'm not, good luck to you.
As for Port, You only need to look at our list of sponsors 4 years ago and compare them to now to see how successful our China strategy is becoming. These things take time. AFL will do well out of this too.

I'm not complaining about afl money as you would be aware we contribute to the equalisation fund you take from it , so it's adelaides money you are taking

I'm assuming we have the CCTV deal during the season, but this game is a bit different as there was talk of it being on one of the Prime stations.
I doubt anyone at Port sees this as a way of gaining many more paid members, especially not in China (might get a few Chinese in Adelaide, who knows) Perhaps that's what people outside of our club are assuming we are after, but that's not the real point of the exercise at all. It's about building business relations through sport. It takes years and years to achieve, not months, especially with China. All sporting codes are trying to connect with China, so why not Australia too. And the fact that we are the first code to play for Premiership points over there considering we are new in that market is outstanding.

It's not a quick fix but Port a few years past were sinking fast and mocked and abused by all and sundry for needing AFL assistance, so we got off our bums and are trying something. Something that will benefit the AFL as a whole too. People knocking it because we're not an instant success are so far off the mark, it's ridiculous. Port's management and our China team are well aware of the work still to be done. At this stage it's a game of centimeters gained, not meters so already Port have done exceedingly well. Adelaide FC are our worst knockers, but that is because it's personal for them, they fear Port having any success at all.

Yes, as for the GCS flights. it seems it was very poorly planned, be that the GCS or the AFL's fault, who knows.
The amount of sooking by the GCS and the Vic media about this is crazy though. Really makes the AFL a laughing stock when you see how frequently and far other sporting codes travel. It's not Mars they are going to. Shows how insular and small minded the AFL community is. Still, someone has to be brave, test the waters and forge ahead. Without risk there is no gain. This holds true for all great and new ventures.

The afl dude was talking about it hopefully being on a local shanghai station live, and a highlights package only appearing on cctv

That doesnt sound like targeting the main channels

As for chinese members, read this board. A number of port posters have been talking up getting 10000 plus chinese members just to start with

I'm not complaining about afl money as you would be aware we contribute to the equalisation fund you take from it , so it's adelaides money you are taking

We work in circles don't we. You get free rent at AAMI (SANFL money). You have been given an AFLW team (AFL money)
You are a relatively well off club but you have received Money from SANFL and AFL.
Port have contributed millions more to SANFL over the years than we have ever received. You have benefited from that.

You also seem to act as though you are the personal treasurer of The AFL. Leave that job to the big boys.

As I have said Port want to be a 'have' club and to give back to the AFL and that is what this China push is about.
You can't have it both ways. That is a very small minded attitude you are displaying.
On the one hand you want money from Port. On the other hand you mock Port's attempt to achieve that money you are demanding. It's petty and shows the real issue is that you despise Port and you will cut off your nose to spite your face.
Do you want us to succeed, or do you want us to fail because you can't achieve your aims if we fail? Or are you, as I think is closer to the truth, just point coring and mud raking? I am curious.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So you think North would not be interested?

They had 15k turn up to their last home game at Etihad against the Suns.

They would have made a considerable loss that night.
Would be interested to hear what north supporters on this board feel about gifting one of their home games to port to take to china

We already sell three games to Hobart for $500K a match.

North members won't stand losing another home game out of Melbourne.

The Partrick Smith article from The Australian

--------------------------

Demons, Pies keen on playing in China
The Australian
12:00AM April 19, 2016

PATRICK SMITH
Senior sports commentatorMelbourne
@Smithersss

Port Adelaide are not short of possible partners for next year’s venture into China. Melbourne would consider packing their bags once the full details and obligations were made clear and found to be suitable. Even Collingwood could be tempted if the Demons were to lose interest.

The potential for the “leaping, jumping, flying game” to generate revenue both in China and locally is proving hard to ignore. The initial cynicism is drying up quickly as the AFL commitment appears more than just a shortcut to give poorer clubs some quick cash.

While the three-year contract between Port and Shanghai Cred — the company of Chinese property developer, Gui Goujie — will drag the heavily indebted Port into the black, the offer is also enticing for clubs that give up a home game to make the trip to China.

It is expected the club that plays Port will be well compensated, easily covering any home-game receipts that are forfeited.

Melbourne chief executive Peter Jackson has been investigating the potential of the club’s link to China since he took over the dysfunctional club early in season 2013. Port Adelaide is the bridge he needs to link Melbourne the club and the city to an audience in China.

The reason Port want the game in China to be treated as an away game is so that they can satisfy their contract with the Adelaide Oval. Similarly, to play in China their opponents most likely will have to square off their own stadium arrangements. Collingwood president Eddie McGuire told The Australian yesterday: “We would consider it (playing in China) if we were given home ground privileges for an away game at the MCG against a Victorian team.”

An AFL official confirmed Melbourne’s willingness to play in China but said “others are also keen”.

The game is expected to be played around the middle of the season but establishing a suitable ground is an immediate and difficult problem.

The only ground capable of staging the match is in Shanghai but it has an athletics track around the outside. The track could be replaced by grass but the logistics of doing that in China are considerable if not overwhelming. AFL chief executive Gillon McLachlan said last week an unsuitable venue would be the only reason next year’s match would not go ahead.

The agreement to play a match in China for premiership points was announced by Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull last week.

“I think as we all know, and I say this as a former mediocre rugby player, AFL is the most exciting football code. An enormous field, extraordinary athleticism. It is the leaping, jumping, flying game where the big men fly, as they say, and where possession is everything. It is a game that moves faster than any other,” he said.

When David Koch took over as president and Ken Hinkley as coach in 2013 they did promise that Port were going places. But China?

Hinkley, after a fine playing career in which he was All-Australian and a Geelong best and fairest winner, had long been well regarded as an assistant coach at Geelong and Gold Coast. And Koch, and his chief executive Keith Thomas, have the business and entrepreneurial skills to plot a grand commercial course.

Yet Hinkley took over a team and Koch a club that could not get out of reverse. From winning a premiership in 2004 and then reaching the grand final again in 2007, the club had not finished higher than 10th and reached as low as 16th.

Hinkley soon ran through the gears. In his first year Port finished fifth and in his second year they were in the preliminary finals. Turbo-charged Power.

In round four last season they played a half of football that was not repeated — by any club — for the rest of the season.

It was of the purest quality and by halftime Port had kicked 12 goals to Hawthorn’s three. And that’s about where the journey stopped. The club finished ninth on last year’s ladder.

The 2016 season has spluttered, too. The club that was going places only got as far as Canberra on Sunday and appeared lost in the suburban environs of Manuka Oval. The Giants, a five-year-old in a century-old competition, rattled up their highest score (22.19) and their biggest winning margin (86 points).

Hinkley’s thoughts? “It was embarrassing and not up to the level we expect of ourselves, but you know what, it’s been a bit consistent.

“It’s been something we haven't been able to get right, we haven’t been able to play hard enough and strong enough for long enough when it goes against us.

“As soon as it went against us we weren’t prepared to work as hard as we needed to and hang on, and we wrestled it back at the start but the next challenge came and we just weren’t up for it.

“You can’t turn up in AFL football and be inconsistent in your ability to compete, and right now that’s not there.”

Port are now 11th on the ladder, with two wins from four games. Next stop on their journey is a trip back to Adelaide Oval to face Geelong.

What has been unstated but is central to the China deal is Port Adelaide’s success. And that might just be a bigger problem than finding a ground.

--------------------------

I like how Eddie's Pies idea includes shafting a third team in the deal. Typical.......

Clearly that's not true. If you want the game then I think you would be grateful, rather than petty and dishonest.
Grateful??

Port invested the time and money driving the entire initiative, taking calculated risks along the way. Who are we supposed to be grateful to?? Gold Coast?? Port paid them$500k for the rights to their "home game" due to the fact that a Port home game contractually couldn't be shifted from AO.

Dishonest??

What are you referring to? Provide sources backing up this claim.

You may not have liked the way Kochie has handled the jumper issue, but your post is completely uninformed.

Grateful??

Port invested the time and money driving the entire initiative, taking calculated risks along the way. Who are we supposed to be grateful to?? Gold Coast?? Port paid them$500k for the rights to their "home game" due to the fact that a Port home game contractually couldn't be shifted from AO.

Dishonest??

What are you referring to? Provide sources backing up this claim.

You may not have liked the way Kochie has handled the jumper issue, but your post is completely uninformed.
Dishonest is claiming the side that gave up a home game for you, has 10 supporters.
That is both ungrateful and dishonest.

Dishonest is claiming the side that gave up a home game for you, has 10 supporters.
That is both ungrateful and dishonest.
You are unable to distinguish between a bigfooty poster making a tongue-in-cheek comment vs the claim that the club is dishonest and ungrateful??

Again, who are we supposed to be grateful to?

Put some thought into your post this time.

We work in circles don't we. You get free rent at AAMI (SANFL money). You have been given an AFLW team (AFL money)
You are a relatively well off club but you have received Money from SANFL and AFL.
Port have contributed millions more to SANFL over the years than we have ever received. You have benefited from that.

You also seem to act as though you are the personal treasurer of The AFL. Leave that job to the big boys.

As I have said Port want to be a 'have' club and to give back to the AFL and that is what this China push is about.
You can't have it both ways. That is a very small minded attitude you are displaying.
On the one hand you want money from Port. On the other hand you mock Port's attempt to achieve that money you are demanding. It's petty and shows the real issue is that you despise Port and you will cut off your nose to spite your face.
Do you want us to succeed, or do you want us to fail because you can't achieve your aims if we fail? Or are you, as I think is closer to the truth, just point coring and mud raking? I am curious.

You are aware after the $20 odd million the SANFL had to put into Port but they could no longer afford to act as guarantor for the debts being made, so the AFL needed to take over that underwriting responsibility and be held as guarantor, which is why you are now pretty much under their control, so to say the SANFL havent given you anything eexcept that actually kept your club from going into bankruptcy for many years, you actually coulldnt have even been in the AFL if the SANFL didnt put ther balls on the line and back your club as you would never have been able to lease a licence, the SANFL were required to guarantee any debts you incurred which they did to their detriment

So Im really wandering where you are coming from but thats besides the point

The point is the cost of this trip and excersize is costing $$$ apart from the BS posters saying its some sultan or king that is funding which is laughable and you have already made $2 million.

If it comes off great if it doesnt you are failing to make money and wasting money furher funds, thus requiring money from Clubs like Adelaide, West Voast, Essendon, Collingwood, Geelong who contribute to the fund for your punts in life .

You are unable to distinguish between a bigfooty poster making a tongue-in-cheek comment vs the claim that the club is dishonest and ungrateful??

Again, who are we supposed to be grateful to?

Put some thought into your post this time.
If I said Port achieved ut's franchise by stabbing the competition that fed it in the back and should only exist as a SANFL club,
Would that be an acceptable "tongue in cheek" comment?
As it happens I've moved on from that view and I use the example to point that claiming offensive remarks are ok when "tongue in cheek" is rubbish. It might be acceotable as a joke, but it was a statement in the middle of an apparently serious post, and with no indication it was.

If I said Port achieved ut's franchise by stabbing the competition that fed it in the back and should only exist as a SANFL club,
As it happens I've moved on from that view and I use the example to point that claiming offensive remarks are ok when "tongue in cheek" is rubbish. It might be acceotable as a joke, but it was a statement in the middle of an apparently serious post, and with no indication it was.

The SANFL purrchased the licences as they were the only ones capable of supporting such a financial venture

They created the Crows to lease the first licence to, and took applications for the second licence and it was probably fair Port got it as the were the largest of the 9 SANFL clubs but obviously were never going to be a strong club and will probably always battle. Diffrent to their SANFL days, how the wheel turns

5000 port supporters have gone over? thats a lie.

Will be lucky to have 2000 actual port adelaide power supporters that have gone over. Merchandise expenses will be through the roof for PAP with all the free scarves and beanies they will be giving away out front of the stadium to anyone that will wear them. Bit like the tarps at football park, will appear as though the supporters really got on board.

this will be a failure. we all know it except for PAP supporters.
So you have the figures our you just blowing shit out your mouth.

You are aware after the $20 odd million the SANFL had to put into Port but they could no longer afford to act as guarantor for the debts being made, so the AFL needed to take over that underwriting responsibility and be held as guarantor, which is why you are now pretty much under their control, so to say the SANFL havent given you anything eexcept that actually kept your club from going into bankruptcy for many years, you actually coulldnt have even been in the AFL if the SANFL didnt put ther balls on the line and back your club as you would never have been able to lease a licence, the SANFL were required to guarantee any debts you incurred which they did to their detriment

So Im really wandering where you are coming from but thats besides the point

The point is the cost of this trip and excersize is costing $$$ apart from the BS posters saying its some sultan or king that is funding which is laughable and you have already made $2 million.

If it comes off great if it doesnt you are failing to make money and wasting money furher funds, thus requiring money from Clubs like Adelaide, West Voast, Essendon, Collingwood, Geelong who contribute to the fund for your punts in life .
KT put out the sums a couple of years ago of what Port has put in comparing what we have taken out of the SANFL and let's just say, we are still owed.
Our sponsors have footed the $4 million bill for the game and we are still ahead. Any oppo team playing is also expecting to assist their sponsorship income so this is a further benefit to the other clubs and AFL in general. This isn't the Bay. Your comments belong there as they are just displaying an incredible lack of understanding of the whole venture which is surprising considering how much time you devote to our club.

I hope we succeed, in fact we already are.We want to be a big club too with a well resourced football department.
So I reiterate, are you hoping we fail, or hoping we succeed? Simple question really.

The SANFL purrchased the licences as they were the only ones capable of supporting such a financial venture

They created the Crows to lease the first licence to, and took applications for the second licence and it was probably fair Port got it as the were the largest of the 9 SANFL clubs but obviously were never going to be a strong club and will probably always battle. Diffrent to their SANFL days, how the wheel turns
Dont really want to go over it again, but could certainly argue their framchise was a reward for forcing the SA leagues hand in the first one.
My point is a lot of the bigotry which is ok on a club board isn't on the main board accessed and used by supporters of all clubs. You got to give some thought to others point of view here. On this occasion it's the Suns, it's often us. I honestly beleive a lot of the reason is interstate people dont interact with either clubs supporters much and haven't had to "humanise" them.
I do think it should be confronted.

I'll repeat my question. Who within the club is being dishonest and who is the club supposed to be grateful to, in the context of the China game?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back