Roast Port Adelaide's failure to do a HIA assessment on Aliir - [AFL confirms both players FAILED concussion tests on Monday]

Remove this Banner Ad

Your president went on TV to say they got it wrong and to plea for mercy. You're not taking anyone to court.
TV personality plays starring role in AFL drama, in other news, water is wet.

Were not going to court coz we aint gettin' belted.

Swept under the rug by the AFL just like the siren saga in freo vs. north.
At least they didn't doctor the footage this time. Although I would've liked to see the version edited with Aliir's eyes open.

Youre all still looking backwards people, Barrett clearly said there were mitigating circumstances according to the AFL who have obviously agreed.
The AFL doesnt want you to look backwards people so they are fining us and suggesting the ARK intervene in future.
Its about getting better through experience people and will form a large part of their defence in any future lawsuits im sure...we cant change the past but are striving together to do better.

Just unfortunate that it doesnt appease the pitchfork brigade I guess.

This is embarrassing mate, the doctor is a hack, end of.

Try thinking about the welfare of the players instead.

So Barrett says less than 100k fine, says mitigating circumstance is lack of vision from the bench and having to deal with 2 players, which is exactly what I've been saying for 2 days.
He also says the ARC reviewers to be given additional powers to overrule Drs as I also suggested should have happened If they we're indeed there.

Save the apologies, I dont rate you anyway.

Good to see I have been vindicated. Kenny did nothing wrong.

Interesting it says limited vision from the bench. Does this mean the port box had perfect vision and carr chose to do nothing. Very concerning.

No, the AFL's flawed process in not having put in place the power to intervene has made the AFL look bad and are currently attempting to distance itself from it.
Were learning, we all make mistakes..

Keep an eye on the FF/FA ledger though..

If the AFL wanted to reduce its risk exposure the tackle would go altogether and there'd be no knees in the back of a defenders scone in the name of spekkies, but the same outraged fans arent ready for that...yet, go figure.

Does this come in team colours?

1691018337402.jpeg

This is embarrassing mate, the doctor is a hack, end of.

Try thinking about the welfare of the players instead.
I agree in part and have already said he should go, but that has little to do with how the AFL will navigate a smooth way out, we'll probably just part way with him when the dust settles.
Im just pointing out the numerous mitigating points that the AFL and club will use to get the outcome that suits both.

Thats vastly different to what should happen but it is the AFL were talking about here.

I look forward to our deserved punishment. 100k, doctor stood down and anything else that isn't Premiership points.

I also look forward to being far more vigilant and concerned next time a player is hit high, falls to the ground without any control of their movements with the classic "arms out in front posture", doesn't show any response or care regarding the high contact for a couple of seconds, then gets back up, doesn't leave the field and keeps playing.

I saw this exact scenario play out just the week before, with a deliberate but far lesser impact incident. I know better now.

The doctor mistake narrative is complete bullshit. As has been pointed out, Fisher is very experienced and knowledgeable. The concussion protocols are clearly written in such a way that someone with zero medical training could easily determine if a player is safe to continue playing. There is no plausible scenario where two doctors, surrounded by a team of physios and trainers, genuinely believed that at a minimum, Allir did not need to do a SCAT5 test. They deliberately made the decision to go against the protocols because they wanted to win. Simple as that.

The AFL will not call this out, because admitting this exposes the fact that they allowed an obvious conflict of interest, where the clubs were asked to decide whether players can return to the field, when ruling them out was detrimental. It’s a conflict of interest that other leagues have not allowed. This isn’t an anti-Port thing, it was only a matter of time before a club was desperate enough to win to try this.

The doctor mistake narrative is complete bullshit. As has been pointed out, Fisher is very experienced and knowledgeable. The concussion protocols are clearly written in such a way that someone with zero medical training could easily determine if a player is safe to continue playing. There is no plausible scenario where two doctors, surrounded by a team of physios and trainers, genuinely believed that at a minimum, Allir did not need to do a SCAT5 test. They deliberately made the decision to go against the protocols because they wanted to win. Simple as that.

The AFL will not call this out, because admitting this exposes the fact that they allowed an obvious conflict of interest, where the clubs were asked to decide whether players can return to the field, when ruling them out was detrimental. It’s a conflict of interest that other leagues have not allowed. This isn’t an anti-Port thing, it was only a matter of time before a club was desperate enough to win to try this.
Oh well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably already discussed. The exact same thing happened in port vs Richmond last year.

Two port players head clashed and despite being obviously dazed neither were concussion tested. It was a close game, and the tiges' just won.People were saying they weren't tested as they didn't show signs, isn't that the whole point of the test to check if they show signs ?

In the broadcast Abbey Holmes brought it up a few times, and I remember the rest of the broadcast team just kept shutting her down. Then in the press conference Hinkley said something like 'you dare question our club doctor who has been here 20 years ??" - paraphrased.

Probably already discussed. The exact same thing happened in port vs Richmond last year.

Two port players head clashed and despite being obviously dazed neither were concussion tested. It was a close game, and the tiges' just won.People were saying they weren't tested as they didn't show signs, isn't that the whole point of the test to check if they show signs ?

In the broadcast Abbey Holmes brought it up a few times, and I remember the rest of the broadcast team just kept shutting her down. Then in the press conference Hinkley said something like 'you dare question our club doctor who has been here 20 years ??" - paraphrased.

Tbh if you went back over the last 10 years, you could find a minimum of probably 20+ head knocks from every single team where they weren't concussion tested.

There's been about 10 instances mentioned purely from memory on other clubs over the last couple of years on the Port board already.

Tbh if you went back over the last 10 years, you could find a minimum of probably 20+ head knocks from every single team where they weren't concussion tested.

There's been about 10 instances mentioned purely from memory on other clubs over the last couple of years on the Port board already.
The Essendon defence, but everyone is doing it without any proof.

Pretty average comment from the head of the AFLPA imo:

Full on protection mode now. Clearly the AFL has decided that they need to sweep this under the rug.

There is no conceivable way that anyone following the AFL’s own concussion protocols and had no conflict of interest would have sent Allir out there without a concussion test.

The Essendon defence, but everyone is doing it without any proof.
Nonsense. I can go back just one week before to prove it.
But Ill wait until we get our deserved punishment first, don’t want you to think Im trying to downplay our very serious breach of guideline and common sense.

Good to see I have been vindicated. Kenny did nothing wrong.

Interesting it says limited vision from the bench. Does this mean the port box had perfect vision and carr chose to do nothing. Very concerning.
Limited vision from the bench ?
How does he explain being able to coach from the bench ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back