Roast Port Adelaide's failure to do a HIA assessment on Aliir - [AFL confirms both players FAILED concussion tests on Monday]

Remove this Banner Ad

It does happen from time to time. Or, where a player is announced to be suffering delayed concussion (similar to what put Rampe in front of the tribunal the other week after McNeill at the Bulldogs was diagnosed post match).

Point being, do Port test on these kind of incidents less than others, given they have a history of not even testing on all of the obvious ones?
The "Not concussion testing in-game and then reporting delayed concussion to the MRO" thing also happened with the Naitanui tackle on Amon a few years back. Tackle happened with 10min left in the last quarter and he spent a few min on the bench then came back on to finish the game.

Oh of course it does and the added benefit of your club moving up the ladder as a result has not influenced your opinion at all!

We will move above you anyway as we have North and you guys have Geelong at GMHBA and are unable to win away matches + lost your last 3 and have no key defenders so it’s irrelevant really.

The point is it happened before and the sanctions obviously didn’t deter Port from doing it again, so AFL needs to come down hard to show how serious it is on protecting players heads. If it is not serious then watch every 2nd concussed player return to the field moving forward.

Fair

Loss of premiership points is probably overs, however given all the tackle suspensions the AFL has to come down hard on this.

Doctor needs to be suspended and potentially sacked at a minimum.

I would also have a serious conversation about whether Hinkley needs a couple weeks off too, 50,000 knew he shouldn’t be going back on, but Ken was happy to stand by and let it happen. Surely the head coach has to take some responsibility for this?

I'm more than happy for Ken to be sacked for this.

We will move above you anyway as we have North and you guys have Geelong at GMHBA and are unable to win away matches + lost your last 3 and have no key defenders so it’s irrelevant really.

The point is it happened before and the sanctions obviously didn’t deter Port from doing it again, so AFL needs to come down hard to show how serious it is on protecting players heads. If it is not serious then watch every 2nd concussed player return to the field moving forward.

We play better away from home and win a lot of away games.

The thing is, if the doctors ticked it off, what can the AFL realistically do in this scenario? Port Adelaide will just say we took our doctors word that Aliir was okay, who are we to argue with him as our hired medical professional?
If anything, it's the doctor that should be facing the consequences for okaying it. I don't think the club can be held accountable when we've hired this doctor specifically as our medical professional to give us the best advice.

This might surprise you, but companies are liable for what their employees do. If they are a terrible doctor which gives bad advice, then that's on Port for hiring them.

Did anyone notice on the coverage of the incident at how happy the racist Walker was in the background? He was smiling and geeing up Thilthorpe at how great it was that both their direct opponents would be going off with concussion.

The TV footage focused in on it and the commentators also pointed it out. One of the most appalling opposition player reactions I've seen on a footy field to players being seriously injured.
You are a liar and an idiot. Tex was not smiling, he pulled Thilthorpe away from the pack of players and what looked like was giving him instructions as good leaders di. Go get some help for your obvious obsession with Tex!

Fair dinkum, if the topic of discussion weren't so serious, I'd suggest this thread be moved to the bay.
Expelled from the national draft indefinitely, serious.

We'll get a big fine, they wont take points off us as the AFL is a business that relies on money, they won't turn their back on the revenue from 50k ticket sales from SA people.
Its like you people have never watched AFL before..lol
Personally, I'd take the points hit, we're not winning the flag this year anyway so would be akin to a slap with a wet lettuce leaf.

Now, continue with the outrage.
This very attitude, this meager deflection over a serious situation with the full expectation of (if not entitlement to) lenient sanctions is very much of the AFL's making with its handling of equally serious matters in the past 10-15 years being keen to sweep under the rug and not disturb the cash flow.

Make no mistake: This issue is something that could (more likely will) have a serious impact on the AFL long term. If they were wise: Port would have the book, the shelf and the kitchen sink thrown at them. But...myopia has historically been a significant factor in their decision making so I expect you may (but shouldn't) be right.

Last edited by a moderator:
You’d think that Port Adelaide would take concussion incidents serious with all the problems the AFL faced recently. I think the AFL will give them a tough financial penalty for their handling of this incident like they did with lockdown protocol breaches.

You’d think that Port Adelaide would take concussion incidents serious with all the problems the AFL faced recently. I think the AFL will give them a tough financial penalty for their handling of this incident like they did with lockdown protocol breaches.
AFL need to do more than that.

A clear message needs to be sent, so all clubs do the right thing by their players.

A huge fine, suspension of doctor and points stripped.

This is vital for the health and safety of every AFL player.
Clubs need to not be cowboys.

Head injuries are serious, starting from impact, to years ahead. Correct medical care immediately is paramount.

Disgusting by Port and their fans to no value those players well being.

Last edited:
Fair

Loss of premiership points is probably overs, however given all the tackle suspensions the AFL has to come down hard on this.

Doctor needs to be suspended and potentially sacked at a minimum.

I would also have a serious conversation about whether Hinkley needs a couple weeks off too, 50,000 knew he shouldn’t be going back on, but Ken was happy to stand by and let it happen. Surely the head coach has to take some responsibility for this?

The doctor should be written up and issued a warning. Jut like when any employee in a normal workplace fails to follow clear WHS protocols.

The club I can see gettinga suspended fine. Do it again and you lose $250k from your soft cap.

And privately behing closed doors. The AFL should be ripping them a new one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A clear message needs to be sent, so all clubs do the right thing by their players.

Head injuries are serious, starting from impact, to years ahead. Correct medical care immediately is paramount.

I don't think the AFL would do that tbh. Even Carlton's salary cap breach or the lockdown breaches didn't attract a deduction of points (though Richmond was indirectly threatened with it if it happened again). Port Adelaide has to take concussions more seriously though because this is the second time it's happened in two years. I recall the other time being Richmond's game against Port Adelaide at AO last year. Not sure, but think it was Burton.

This incident highlights a huge risk to Port Adelaide players' welfare and is a huge reputational risk to the AFL. Hinkley's comments about this is also problematic. He shouldn't have publicly backed the doctor's calls - especially if he didn't see the incident. I suspect he wouldn't have said this if he saw how bad it was.

Pretty simple really.

Sack the doctor. He has history.
Need to find whether he’s been given a directive on this from those higher up at the club or is just negligent in his assessments. I think it will be the latter, although nothing surprises me with some clubs and the directives those above give.

Fine them $100k and take it straight out of 2024 soft cap (no need to pay the actual $$$ to the afl, just put the reduction in place).

I don't think the AFL would do that tbh. Even Carlton's salary cap breach or the lockdown breaches didn't attract a deduction of points (though Richmond was indirectly threatened with it if it happened again). Port Adelaide has to take concussions more seriously though because this is the second time it's happened in two years. I recall the other time being Richmond's game against Port Adelaide at AO last year. Not sure, but think it was Burton.

This incident highlights a huge risk to Port Adelaide players' welfare and is a huge reputational risk to the AFL. Hinkley's comments about this is also problematic. He shouldn't have publicly backed the doctor's calls - especially if he didn't see the incident. I suspect he wouldn't have said this if he saw how bad it was.

He was sitting on the bench 20 to 30m away. And if he missed it he could have seen it on the big screen when the entire stadium 50000 people when "ooooof" in unison.

He could have made the call, "that looks real bad doc, we'll just take them out anyway."

On SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app

A fine seems too little a punishment and premiership points seem too much.

Who’s in charge of the AFL right now? I’m sure they are going to be able to navigate this tricky situation with poise and finesse.

A fine seems too little a punishment and premiership points seem too much.

Who’s in charge of the AFL right now? I’m sure they are going to be able to navigate this tricky situation with poise and finesse.
It's a fine line.

$100K out of the soft cap costs some bloke doing video/odds and ends his job as they don't have the funds to pay him premiership points make a mess of what is already a cluster**** of a ladder. AFL would just be fining themselves too.

I don't have the answer but it needs to be big enough that shows the AFL are serious (for once in their history) but what that is good question.

I suspect at some time in the not to distant future the AFL is going to have to prove in court that it's serious about protecting players from head injuries and this sort of thing doesn't help.

It's a fine line.

$100K out of the soft cap costs some bloke doing video/odds and ends his job as they don't have the funds to pay him premiership points make a mess of what is already a cluster* of a ladder. AFL would just be fining themselves too.

I don't have the answer but it needs to be big enough that shows the AFL are serious (for once in their history) but what that is good question.
This was exactly the conversation I had with a group yesterday. Premierships points is too harsh and a fine is shit.

The only thing in between is the draft, but it seems so removed from the incident, and doesn't punish those involved.

Tricky one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Roast Port Adelaide's failure to do a HIA assessment on Aliir - [AFL confirms both players FAILED concussion tests on Monday]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back