Port or Collingwood: which is the better club?

Remove this Banner Ad

Originally posted by captain ebert
it doesnt exist, stop wasting your time.
:rolleyes:

by the way, where is "essendon bombers"? sounds like a weird suburb.....:eek:
I'm glad you tell me i'm wasting my time.Oh,about as Wierd as Woodville.

collingwood havent won any flags in the best comp, & neither have port.

i assume we both understand that the comp became its "best" the year port joined it....
Well it was better for us. Christ knows when we would have made a GF without your help. 'Bout time Choco gave something back anyway.

collingwood havent won any flags in the best comp, & neither have port.

i assume we both understand that the comp became its "best" the year port joined it....

Well actually, Collingwood won the inaugural AFL premiership 1990. The same year you nearly joined the comp, but ran back to the SANFL when told to by your master who realised that you were not quite ready for the national stage.

By the time you joined it, even minnows like Freo were already admitted.

Originally posted by MarkT
Is that relevant? Name one sport where the current day competitors are not a long way ahead of their forebears. A current AFL side would smash a 70's VFL side which in turn would smash a 50's VFL side who would smash a 30's VFL side etc etc. That means nothing except that humans continue to get bigger and stronger, sports continue to get more professional and technological advancement marched on.

You are right we have more no Victorians. I don't know those Victorian teams have many more non Victorians than teams from the 80's or even 70's had though. Maybe they do but I doubt it would be significant. There are now 4 additional teams that the extra talent is spread over. That is a 1/3 increase. Unless the non Victorian talent has increased by more than 1/3 then there is no difference in quality overall bar that which results from the advancement of time. If there is a greater increase then how much would it account for? It isn’t as cut and dried as you would like to make out.

Even if my gut feel for the proportion of non Vic players is wrong, it means little in the context of whether the VFL is the AFL or vice versa. It is a factual argument.
Apart from players getting bigger, stronger and better trained.
Nowadays all the best players from around Australia end up in the AFL.

Years gone by, NT kids went to WA and SA. Not many ended up in the VFL. Had it been 10 years earlier, Maurice Rioli would probably not have ended up in Victoria, but stayed in WA.
What NT kids?
Let's see....Buckley, McLeod, White, Brennan, Peter Burgoyne,... I'm sure you can keep naming them, there are a few out there. They would have probably kept playing in "inferior leagues" and thus been "inferior players".
Same goes for a number of recent past players. They would probably had stayed in the original comp they went down to.

Players like Tredrea and Ottens would have ended up in the VFL perhaps later in life, chances are once they were past their prime but still with a big reputation. Some not gone over at all on "principle".
Did Carey go to the VFL/AFL or go via the SANFL? (I'm really not too sure on this one).

There really is no comparison between the modern day AFL and the former VFL, same as there isn't between the AFL and the other former "premier" leagues.

EDIT: And we would be here listening to people telling us how much better Richo was to Tredrea because he played in the big league. And forget about the Hird/Voss Vs Buckley debates. :rolleyes:

Port started out using a Blue and White then Magenta before after seeing Collingwood in Black and White changing to Black and White in the early 1900's.

Collingwood started out using the very same Jumper, Colors and mascot they use today.

Port dominated the SAnFL, a comp where players such as Nathan Buckley used as a stepping stone to the VFL/AFL. Judging by the fact that 95% of players playing in the SAnFL moved onto the VFL when invited. Surely the SAnFL was inferior to the stronger both financially and talent wise VFL.

Collingwood dominated the VFL, a stronger more evenly set up Comp than the SAnFL.

Port embarrassingly have been made to change their Colors and Mascot in order to enter the AFL. Although attempting to enter in 1990 as the Port Adelaide Magpies wearing Black and White, Collingwood along with Clubs such as Essendon, Carlton and Fitzroy voted against such an entry.

Collingwood are the holders of the License they play under in the AFL.

Port play in the AFL as a franchise of the SAnFL who hold the License Port play under in the AFL.

Port's players not playing at AFL level are "drafted" out among the other 8 SAnFL Clubs. Even though the Port Adelaide FC set up a new Club to replace them in the SAnFL, "The Port Magpies" PAFC cannot use that Club as part of the PAFC AFL set up. PAFC have NO Control on how their players playing at SAnFL level are played.

Collingwoods players not playing at AFL level play at VFL Club Williamstown as a suedo seconds side to Collingwood. Collingwood pretty much control Williamstowns coaching panel in order that both clubs share a common goal.

Port are still based at their spirtual home although improvements are paid for by Alan Scott and named after him not the Club. The Clubs home is 30 minutes drive from AMMI stadium where the Club must play all it's home games according to the agreement with the SAnFL as holders of Port's AFL License.

Collingwood moved from their spiritual home into an ex-olympic venue. Imporvements paid for by the Victorian State Government to Collingwood's specs. At the MCG, the Ponsford stand is home to the Collingwood Social Club on match days when Collingwood play at the MCG, home and away. Collingwoods new home is 5 minutes walk from the MCG the Club plays it's home games at.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Port Adelaide first played in 1870
Collingwood first played in 1897

Port Adelaide were Champions of Australia 4 times
Collingwood were Champions of Australia 0 times

Port Adelaide won 34 state premierships
Collingwood won 13 state premierships

Port Adelaide won 1 AFL premiership
Collingwood won 1 AFL premiership

I used to support both clubs until we in Port Adelaide got an AFL side of our own.

Who is the better club - well Collingwood easily.

Collingwood v Port Adelaide - Finals Record
Played: 2 (MCG 1, FP 1)
Collingwood: 2
Port Adelaide: 0
Drawn: 0

Count Zero said:

I used to support both clubs until we in Port Adelaide got an AFL side of our own.
:thumbsu: Without a doubt mate

yob said:
When did Lexus play?

Idiot.

Lexus DID NOT pay a cent for the modernisation of the Glasshouse, the Victorian State Taxpayers did. Instead Lexus pay a ridiculous amount to have us call The Glasshouse the Lexus centre rather than The Collingwood Football Club. Knowing what they pay and what the rent is, I begrudgingly agree to call it The Lexus Centre along with most Pies supporters.

Yob what Toyota pay Collingwood FC via Lexus in sponsorship money makes the Camry Crows sponsorship amount look minuscule.

Also you will never hear Lexus being thrown into our Club song. Unlike
here we go
here we go
here we go
Camry Crows,
Camry Crows,
Camry Crows.

Anyone else remember them singing that? :D

Now nick orf, this is about Port and Collingwood. Not the Echo Crows.

Count Zero said:

cant argue with that

In the heritage round next year, wherein both Port and Collingwood will wear the black and white, Port's guernsey will be better than Collingwood's.

yob said:
Okay ******, let's try this one again.

Port's facilities are named after Alan Scott - a man who never played for the club, as you pointed out.

Collingwood's facilities are named after an airline. It's a bit rich to give them ******** aobut naming their HQ after a sponsor when your club did exactly the same thing.

Hmmmmm...... pot kettle black!

yob said:
Oh and for the millionth time you dip ********, it's called the SANFL because it's the league for australia's national code of football, not because it's a national league. How many ********ing times.

hmmmmmm

Remove this Banner Ad

Port or Collingwood: which is the better club?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back