Port or Collingwood: which is the better club?

Remove this Banner Ad

captain ebert said:
SANFL, lop-sided? not due to port's dominance by any chance, ****?

collingwood, 1 premiership in 40 years? awesome stat that one - "oh the premiership's a cakewalk, when playing good old collingwood...."

only someone like you would try to beat the drum under these circumstances!

As an unbiased observer, I'd have to say Port. Easily.

Only Collingwood supporters or other parochial Victorians would argue otherwise.
Any logical, non-emotional assesment of the respective histories would have to agree that 34 premierships is way better than 13.

I have lived most of my life in Victoria and only one year in Adelaide. I hated Port when I was there, loathed them with a deep hatred in fact. The kind of hatred that only arrogant supporters coupled with mongrel players like David Granger can inspire. But you have to admire them for their success.

Collingwood have had success, although not recently (most premierships were more than 40 years ago now). They were almost broke about 20 years ago, They have had good sides and great players but they have not been able to maintain the success over such a long period nor command such fear and respect from foes. Port Adelaide's prison-bars jumper is imo the most famous in Australia and inspires hatred (from their vanquished foes) and pride (from their players and fans) more than any other jumper with the possible exception of the Big V.

So my vote, for what it's worth (stuff-all really, especially to Collingwood fans!) - goes to Port.

St.Kilda supporters would argue that they have the better club. So, would any of the 16 clubs's supporters.

Who the better club is, is not measured in terms of premierships. It's what your club means to you, and to the rest of your supporters that makes them special, or "better" than anyone else. It's what the club represents and how they make you proud, regardless of where they are on the ladder, which makes "your" club better than everyone else.

I give you reasons why Port is the better club than Collingwood

Port saved Collingwoods title of "4 premierships in a row in VFL" where collingwood tried to stop the lions twice, failed.

If Port entered into AFL 1991, Collingwood wouldnt have Nathan Buckley at the time, he is BIG HELPER to collingwood otherwise god knows wat happened

Since playing its first game in 1870, the club has gone on to win an australian record of 36 SANFL premierships including six in a row and achieve an honour of being champions of australia on four occaisons.

The port adelaide football club is arguably the most successful senior football club, not only in south australia but australia wide.

Dan26 said:
St.Kilda supporters would argue that they have the better club. So, would any of the 16 clubs's supporters.

We've won more games than Port have. So yes, we're a better club.

Heck, we should have, we've had an extra century to rack up wins and they're still within sight ;)

Port Adelaide has won 1 premiership in the VFL/AFL, Collingwood has 14.

Collingwood has existed in the VFL/AFL for over 100 years.

Port Adelaide has existed in the AFL for 10 years...

you do the math.

who cares about what they achieved in the minor leagues.... its not the VFL/AFL, its counts for nothing.

Drizt said:

you do the math.

who cares about what they achieved in the minor leagues.... its not the VFL/AFL, its counts for nothing.

Totally agree

All you ever hear from Port supporters is Port are this and Port are that

This is the team that gets 25k to most of its matches. They claimed "we have the biggest supporter base in south australia and will be number team once we join the AFL". They are miles off the support of the AFC and Freo have bigger and much more consistant crowds and more members.

The supporters promised that they will dominate the AFL yet West Coast and Adeaide have both been more successful premiership wise if you compare similar time frames to Port Adelaide.

The fact is that yeah Port won a lot of flags in the SANFL, but as Central are now showing in the SANFL its very possible to a truckload of flags in a short period of time. The AFL is a totally different ball game.

The mere fact that they would even suggest that Port Adelaide measures in to Collingwood in any way is a total joke. Collingwood have about 10 times their supporter base, much more profitable club and have the most recognised name in the history of australian football.

Port have some tiddleywink flags won in the SANFL that doesnt come close to measuring up to the AFL/VFL. They have one premiership that actually means something credible. All the rubbish they sprout about it being the same and if it was apparently the same then why were the SANFL interested in the joining the VFL as early as 1982 ?

Until Port actually have some bragging rights besides one flag and build something larger than a moderate supporter base there is nothing credible that Port is anything close to Collingwood.

Port Adelaide are the Glasgow Rangers of Australian Football

port_brad said:
I give you reasons why Port is the better club than Collingwood

If Port entered into AFL 1991, Collingwood wouldnt have Nathan Buckley at the time, he is BIG HELPER to collingwood otherwise god knows wat happened

Your joking right ????

If Port entered the AFL in 1991, Buckley would have gone into the draft. He joined Port from Darwin in 1992. Port would have had no means in which to draft him into their side due to him not being associated with the SANFL at the time they joined.

You are obivously trolling surely no-one would actually believe that to be true.

did Collingwood win 16 premierships in AFL? nah only one. you wouldnt made 16 premierships if other states outside of VIC join VFL

Brisbane is the most successful national league team in AFL, not VFL. VFL shouldnt count anything for AFL - I know you collingwood fans wish to bring 15 premierships into AFL. you bring up your history in your home of VIC, we bring up our history in our home of SA

our history in our home of australia
Port - 1
Collingwood - 1

case closed.

Porthos said:
You know so little, and you're not even in school today. Honestly, school isn't just a place you go to until they shift you to juvenile detention, you can learn there.
Seems appropriate at this point.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Johnson#26 said:
Collingwood by a mile.

If the SANFL is/was as good as the VFL, then why did the VFL become the AFL, and why did Port enter a team in the AFL, if their league was the best? Doesn't fit in.

And if the VFL was so great then, why did it have to get interstate teams to join the competition because the Victorian teams were struggling financially?

port_brad said:
did Collingwood win 16 premierships in AFL? nah only one. you wouldnt made 16 premierships if other states outside of VIC join VFL

Brisbane is the most successful national league team in AFL, not VFL. VFL shouldnt count anything for AFL - I know you collingwood fans wish to bring 15 premierships into AFL. you bring up your history in your home of VIC, we bring up our history in our home of SA

our history in our home of australia
Port - 1
Collingwood - 1

case closed.

All flags won in the SANFL under all names are counted as one. The SANFL even has Port having won 36 flags, including those they won in the time the club has been in the AFL.

SANFL apply the same rule the AFL does. Name change, but they all count.

Good luck though.

Drizt said:

you do the math.

You one-eyed moron.
AFL Premierships (ie. since 1991) - Port 1, Collingwood 0 and Port only joined in 1997!
VFL / SANFL Premierships (ie. state-based comps) Port 34, Collingwood 13.

The VFL is only "superior" to the SA or WA leagues because it evolved into a national comp. During the 70's and 80's players were coming to Victoria to play, but earlier traffic had been both ways. Haydn Bunton left Victoria to go to WA.
And despite losing several key players to Collingwood, Port were still able to win several more premierships, while Collingwood, despite recruiting from Port and other clubs, did not win any flags during the 70's or 80's. Sorry to spoil your little fantasy.

So before you start quoting grade 2 maths, learn a few more facts.

And yes - I am Victorian and not a Port supporter.

mark73 said:
Port Power or Collingwood? Collingwood by 400 straights.Port Adelaide and Collingwood is irrelevant as they're an SANFL team.

Port POWER????

Now that is an entirely different question.
If you only count the period of 1997 - now, since the Port POWER club was formed from Port Magpies, then the answer is very close. Port have one premiership plus night flags and minor premierships (woopee-doo) while Collingwood have had 2 GF losses and a wooden spoon.
So...... Port would still win.

Sorry.

tess said:
Any Port supporter going to answer this or not.

How does this bear any relevance to how Collingwood is superior to Port Adelaide (I assume this is to be your contention)? Are you prepared to answer that?

I'd be interested to hear your skewed logic beforehand. Thanks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Port or Collingwood: which is the better club?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back