Opinion Positive aspects of the Adelaide Football Club.

Remove this Banner Ad

What are you on about? We're the best at it. No one does it better than us.
We'd be ranked #1 in lots of things. Not many of them would be positive.

We're clearly the best at confusing selections.

Some major positives you all missed out on:

• We were established a whole 7 years before port
  • We have never had to ask permission from another club to wear a guernsey that isnt ours
  • We have never lost a grand final by 119 or more points
  • Max Michalanney
  • Ben Keays

It actually takes 3 Positives to negate one negative in the human mind. Our brains have been hardwired through evolution to focus on the negative. Traced back to prehistoric days, primitive man had to be able to register threats to avoid danger and increase survival rates. Individuals who were more attuned to danger (negative stimuli) stayed alive longer and passed on their genes

A player could kick a very low percentage goal from the boundary, and miss a very high percentage goal from dead in front. We will remember the miss even though going by the percentages we are still 1.1 from those shots. Had the easy goal been kicked and boundary shot missed, no one remembers.

There are plenty of Positives from Nicks time at the club. I'm sure none of us want to go back to 5 years ago. Our brains just focus on negatives a lot more than Positives.

It actually takes 3 Positives to negate one negative in the human mind. Our brains have been hardwired through evolution to focus on the negative. Traced back to prehistoric days, primitive man had to be able to register threats to avoid danger and increase survival rates. Individuals who were more attuned to danger (negative stimuli) stayed alive longer and passed on their genes

A player could kick a very low percentage goal from the boundary, and miss a very high percentage goal from dead in front. We will remember the miss even though going by the percentages we are still 1.1 from those shots. Had the easy goal been kicked and boundary shot missed, no one remembers.

There are plenty of Positives from Nicks time at the club. I'm sure none of us want to go back to 5 years ago. Our brains just focus on negatives a lot more than Positives.

Hmmmmm - ya sure about that?

2019 - Rd 17 - 9 wins, 7 losses - 7th spot on the ladder.

2024 - Rd 17 - 5 wins, 10 losses and a draw - 15th spot on the ladder.

Our worst season and Nicks first year we won 3 games from 17 games. In 2024 we currently have 5 wins from 16 games.
Thats a long bloody time to only improve 2 or 3 wins.

Hmmmmm - ya sure about that?

2019 - Rd 17 - 9 wins, 7 losses - 7th spot on the ladder.

2024 - Rd 17 - 5 wins, 10 losses and a draw - 15th spot on the ladder.

Our worst season and Nicks first year we won 3 games from 17 games. In 2024 we currently have 5 wins from 16 games.
Thats a long bloody time to only improve 2 or 3 wins.
Yes. I am sure.

And what was the list like 5 years ago? What was the culture like? Where did the team finish the following year?

Close losses are still losses. But much better than being flogged to a spoon and a percentage of 64%

You have just provided a perfect example of how people look to the negatives more than the Positives

A positive is that our biggest losing margin isn't in the ten largest losing margins for this season. In fact, by now its probably not in the top 15.

A positive is that our largest losing margin this season, to Sydney, one of the top teams, whilst playing our least experienced team of the season, which was 42 points, was far from the worst losing margin to them. There were four other games which Sydney beat other teams by larger margins, including a couple of teams in the top 8.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Another positive is that, despite the delusions of this board, Nicks is way more open to change than a few of our previous coaches. Now, he may still be a bit too slow to change, even for me, but he does change, unlike Pyke or Craig.
I can guarantee you if Pyke or Craig were coaching this season none of Curtin, Dowling or Taylor have debuted. I can guarantee we wouldn't have tried Hombsch's gameplan against Carlton. As long as a bloke is willing to try some new things, there's potential there, once he does a few he gets used to it and does more.

I can guarantee we wouldn't have tried Hombsch's gameplan against Carlton. As long as a bloke is willing to try some new things, there's potential there, once he does a few he gets used to it and does more.

I don't know that story. Can you please fill me in?

I know we had a fantastic win, but I have nit heard anything about an alternative game plan from Jack Hombschs.

So nicks isn’t running at 3:1 then I’m guessing.

Another positive is that, despite the delusions of this board, Nicks is way more open to change than a few of our previous coaches. Now, he may still be a bit too slow to change, even for me, but he does change, unlike Pyke or Craig.
I can guarantee you if Pyke or Craig were coaching this season none of Curtin, Dowling or Taylor have debuted. I can guarantee we wouldn't have tried Hombsch's gameplan against Carlton. As long as a bloke is willing to try some new things, there's potential there, once he does a few he gets used to it and does more.
So he’s departed from the winning game plan?

We're only three ladder positions above where we were in 2020. That was a covid season, which frankly no one was really paying attention to.

I don't think I'm better off.

We've had one outlier season, and it was a low outlier without even making the finals. In a full AFL era.

But hey, it's just evolution making us think we suck, that's probably it.

Attachments

• 1720479293469.png
    1720479293469.png
    1 KB · Views: 6
We're only three ladder positions above where we were in 2020. That was a covid season, which frankly no one was really paying attention to.

We've had one outlier season, and it was a low outlier without even making the finals. In a full AFL era.

1720493045743.png

This data shows that this year is still better than 2022, which was better than 2021, better than 2020. A dip below last year is obvious, but tied in with our new players in the team this is not as bad as you say.

I'm pretty sure even the hardest-bible-thumping, creationist, evolution-denying Crows supporter would also think that we suck, so I don't think we can blame evolution.

View attachment 2043367

This data shows that this year is still better than 2022, which was better than 2021, better than 2020. A dip below last year is obvious, but tied in with our new players in the team this is not as bad as you say.
If only it mattered in any way

The positive is we’ve had an extra home game these last 2 seasons

Remove this Banner Ad

Back