Positives from tonights match??

Remove this Banner Ad

Thought deledio was our best tonight even though the stats dont show.

And another thing do u reckon the guy who got all the touches cant spell his name was really any good today didnt see him do anything damaging.

He wasn't bad. Won most of the contests he was involved in, and his disposal was better than most.

Don't usually disagree with your views, Spluff. Edwards was shocking though. I can think of 3 goals he cost us through skill errors. Twice he missed the target by hand and another occasion he missed an easy target by foot.

Honestly can't see many besides Nason who had a real crack.

Hardwick's plan was deplorable. No ruckman? WTF? No wonder we were smashed in the clearances.

I feel sorry for Riewoldt too. Had a good game, but needs some help
as game went on i thought nason did well. as for jack, as much as i think he,s agun i just dont think he,s a no 1 target up forward. as a second tall forward he would be hard to beat. maybe polak could take a bit of pressure of him. why throw him a lifeline and dont play him?

Don't usually disagree with your views, Spluff. Edwards was shocking though. I can think of 3 goals he cost us through skill errors. Twice he missed the target by hand and another occasion he missed an easy target by foot.

When I say better than most I don't mean he was anywhere near perfect. He had a few poor handballs that cost us goals under pressure, but even our supposedly skilled players turned in some awful decisions - not to mention some of our lesser players. Cousins and Cotchin both missed several targets by foot under no pressure, and left my jaw hanging open.

Anyone else hear Mick Malthouse on SEN post match? (ok, I left 10 mins early, so shoot me)

He made some very valid points, which helped me understand some things I noticed during the game. So often we were out numbered around the ball, and also looked tired. We just could not get possession at all in the first half of quarters, and spent so much time and energy moving to areas and chasing backside, once Carlton let us into the contest, we were often too tired to be effective.

MM was a little concerned that with so many young bodies with only 1-2 pre-seasons in them, and the type of zones we were trying to affect require a lot of endurance to pull off. It requires some seasoned players to do so effectively.

But he congratulated the coach for not changing things around, and trying to plug gaps when things didn't come off. DH stuck by the gameplan and forced the players to do the same.

He was adamant that we should not be looking 1, 2 or 5 years down the track before expecting success, just stick to our guns, don't be put off by the media, supporters, etc and let it happen when it happens.

He also suggested JR needs help down forward.

I am so surprised that not only did we not play an extra tall (eg. Polak), but we started every quarter with Mitch Morton on the bench for 5+ mins. Strange.

I think there was a couple of glowing postivities !!
Vickery at times admittedly not alot, showed he could compete effectively in the ruck , Cotchin and Martin played the best tonight whilst on ball together, the defensive pressure out of our forward line was better at times , we showed glimpses with a young side , consistancy should improve with experience !!

Listen Boys,

1) New Coach
2) New Game Plan
3) New Young players

Don't loose heart, doggies were exactly same at the start of 2006 & we made the finals.

There is a lot of upside, just have to get games into the new boys and learn the new game plan

Cheers

Martin got better as the game went on - was by far our most dangerous player with the ball in hand. Thursfield actually got a few kicks early which is what we need from him to become a player, there's no real query on his defensive side. Nason was lively and could have kicked 3 goals, won some good posessions. Cotchin had good patches and poor patches but will be better for the run.

I think Connors has the potential to be an elite player and no I don't think I'm going overboard. Moves so smoothly through traffic, beautiful left leg, I'd love to see him pushed into the midfield at some stage because that's where he'll thrive.

Martin looked pretty good too, got awesome pace which he didn't really use tonight but looked good in close, you know he'll improve each week.

as an impartial watcher, you guys can be happy that you've turned the corner. far better to watch nason, martin etc have a real crack and make mistakes than mid-level players like mcmahon etc.

i liked what i saw from nason. got some go, plays in front, looked likely despite some errors.

martin will be fantastic. reckon it'll take him all of about three weeks to start backing himself and not give the quick handball. exactly the type of player who will back up week after week and give you consistently good football.

relton made me laugh. how good to see a non-standard body shape out there? hasn't got the outright class, but a few things reminded me of Dean Rioli, just how he moves. made some errors, but i think he should be given a few games to settle. ran out the game better than i thought he would.

how are your ruck stocks? i reckon dimma will drop the guillotine on simmonds if he doesn't harden up in the next couple. better off getting vickery and someone else some game time.

cotchin looked better at times. just needs continuity, all the talent is there.

you really need deledio and tambling to stand up every week. the weeks where they go missing is too destructive. these guys are now key figures because too many of the mid-range players don't have the class to carry the side.

overall, i reckon most players busted a gut. but they struggled understanding the defensive running patterns (understandable in a new gamestyle that also has to accomodate the oppositions moves) and turned the ball over too often. a little composure and skill would have made a big difference.

stick with the kids. and play more of them if you can. do not go back the mcmahons of the list.

For mine, kids were ok. Vickery looks similar to patto in that he's too small to be a ruckman and too lumbering to be a forward.

Also, Jackson. Bloody hell this bloke simply hasn't improved his disposal or decision making at all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No surprises for me tonight except the scoreline was a little disappointing.

Coaches will shorty realise Martin needs to go ruck rover and then rest. Cousins, Foley, and Cotchin can rotate in the rover positions as well and through in Jackson. Yes i have Martin in my DT but apart from managing Martin's condition throughout 2010 for his and Richmond's development and game prospects should be thrown in the middle.

If nothing else Houlihans walk through the park in the later half is enough to see we need a bigger body in there.

Go Tigers

I hope Roberts sticks around for DT purposes but I can see Taylor coming in at some point for Nason, Nahas or Roberts at some point.

Connors was okay and Thursfield did some nice things, Riewoldt was handy, worked hard and Morton chipped in as a threat at times, apart from the usual suspects like lids and cus, cotchin nice mark better than Gibbs . I didn't think he could get up there. I tell you if Cotchin ever gets right look out. Still I would put him in cotton wool until we challenge seriously for the cup!!!

I like Edwards in the back pocket in particular helping the capt and Tambling up forward. Richmond should stick with that development wise

It wasn't that bad really.

The kids debuting were impressive. I thought Vickery showed a bit, will overtake Simmo during 2010.

Connors was good besides that shocking defensive effort. Riewoldt will be a star, once we get proper Inside 50s.

Disappointing that Gus didn't cement his spot in the pre-season, he really should be ahead of Simmonds.

Connors and Martin looked good. Nason has a lot of grunt and heart, but his kicking is going to be a constant black mark unfortunately.

Edwards on the last line was pretty tough to watch. It's hard to gauge the Tiger's backline though, I didn't think the big men were too bad back there, but there is only so much they can hold out. The battle in the backline is won through the middle, if the mids were working harder to affect the ball coming in, their performances would be far better received.

Deledio needs take a stand and demand the captaincy I believe as well. Newman doesn't do enough or exert any sort of presence IMO.

Agree with MM's comments on Hardwick too, stuck to his guns and put his faith in some young boys which was good to see. Didn't resort to dropping loose men back or anything, I think he'll be great for the Tiges going forward.

Just got back from the game. Disappointed but not surprised; was expecting a loss.

Positives:

Attack on the ball. At one point thomson sprinted from one side of the ground to the other to lay a tackle. Almost all the boys went in hard. Hislop great here, so too Nason.

Pick 71. Turning that into Nason is looking like a big win. Fluffed it once or twice under the big lights but showed plenty.

Directness into attack. Very surprised no-one else mentioned this (did they discuss it on the radio or TV?). We were getting absolutely smashed in every stat, 100 disposals down by 3 qtr time, yet almost equal on inside 50s and scoring shots. That is a huge turnaround from last year, when we would rack up huge numbers of disposals chipping it around for no result. This was one of the most frustrating things about the Tigers under Wallace and I'm actually a little amazed it's turned around so fast.

It wasn't that bad really.

The kids debuting were impressive. I thought Vickery showed a bit, will overtake Simmo during 2010.

Connors was good besides that shocking defensive effort. Riewoldt will be a star, once we get proper Inside 50s.

Gun. Would of kicked 8 in Carlton's forward line.

To be fair I think Titch did alright. He made a few mistakes but you could tell his body was on the line, he didn't care about his health, was simple skill errors that in the end cost him. Obviously he has done a lot of weights training this pre season, he needs a lot more focus on skills and he will be alright :thumbsu:

Hes going no where, and were going no where with him in the side.

Positives:

1. All of the debutants (Nason, Martin, Roberts, Farmer) showed something
2. Our heads didn't go down and we fought back in the first and second quarters after being pumped.
3. Reiwoldt and Jackson

I thought Titch did okay to. One of the goals should never have been allowed and physically he is a good match up on players like betts.

He just needs to red the play a bit better and space himself properly between himself and his opponent. This will come with experience. good move by Hardwick IMO. I think actually Hardwick was a good choice. He did a few things that made sense. At the end I think the size of the task dawned on him but thats okay. Till death we will be behind the Tigers and I for one am prepared to be patient and not rush like the CEO!!

Cotchin shows signs if he gets his body right he will be a super duper star!!

Go Tigers!!!

Disappointing that Gus didn't cement his spot in the pre-season, he really should be ahead of Simmonds.

Connors and Martin looked good. Nason has a lot of grunt and heart, but his kicking is going to be a constant black mark unfortunately.

Edwards on the last line was pretty tough to watch. It's hard to gauge the Tiger's backline though, I didn't think the big men were too bad back there, but there is only so much they can hold out. The battle in the backline is won through the middle, if the mids were working harder to affect the ball coming in, their performances would be far better received.

Deledio needs take a stand and demand the captaincy I believe as well. Newman doesn't do enough or exert any sort of presence IMO.

Agree with MM's comments on Hardwick too, stuck to his guns and put his faith in some young boys which was good to see. Didn't resort to dropping loose men back or anything, I think he'll be great for the Tiges going forward.

He's actually a very good kick is Nason, think it was just the nerves. Other than that, agree with what you said.

Cotchin- just makes the right decisions.

Nason- thought he had more of the ball then he did. Maybe its the hair but every time i look over to him he seems to be doing something good.

Martin- worked hard I thought, nice to see him desperate to make the block for Deledio in the last I think.

Some skill errors were bad. Edwards to Tambling was horrendous. Simmonds is really getting on my nerves, I use to rate him but he ain't up to it. We clearly need a ruckman. Although we got smashed in possession I think we could have been around Carlton's score (as someone said on another thread). I think we need a CHF as too often we went to Hislop ( who did well). Astbury seems like he can fill this role in the near future. This will give us a clear target moving forward which will make a big difference.

Remove this Banner Ad

Positives from tonights match??

Remove this Banner Ad

Back