Possible Trade

Remove this Banner Ad

I would suggest that the Dees heirachy no longer base their trades on what the big footy public declare a "good deal".

Last year every side was 'crazy' not to part with their first round pick for Adelaide's John Meeson, who was talked up like nothing else. Dees fell for it in the end, but I'd suggest that they'd want a bit more proof than a handful of good showings in the VFL before they went down that track again.

Last year every side was 'crazy' not to part with their first round pick for Adelaide's John Meeson, who was talked up like nothing else. Dees fell for it in the end, but I'd suggest that they'd want a bit more proof than a handful of good showings in the VFL before they went down that track again.
:confused::confused::confused: We gave up a 3rd round pick in a weak draft

Thorp is a player confident in his own abilities, but he's very much a team player.

You can keep believing he has an attitude problem though if it floats your boat. :thumbsu:

Mates of mine who are Hawk supporters tell me he has an attitude problem, if the info is wrong then good for him and the club. Hopefully he can eventually break into the team, can't see it happening in the near future though.

I would suggest that the Dees heirachy no longer base their trades on what the big footy public declare a "good deal".

This doesn't make any sense, Melbourne didn't give a first round pick for Meeson. From memory it was a third rounder, so how does this show that we 'fell for it'?
The kid hasn't played footy for about 2 years, and as ruckman ganerally develop slower it's ridiculous to write him off now.

Wow, just wow. :confused:

Mates of mine who are Hawk supporters tell me he has an attitude problem, if the info is wrong then good for him and the club. Hopefully he can eventually break into the team, can't see it happening in the near future though.

geez, i didnt realise you were part of the hawks selection team, mate no disrespect but you wouldn't have a clue what the club has planned for Thorp. It would be hugely unfair to rush him into the team this year, given he had no pre season and is continually battling fitness and injury in the VFL, given a full pre season he would definately be in the team round 1, 2009.

As I said, Thorp has a lot of confidence in his own abilities, but he's also a natural leader and is quite vocal when he's playing.

Winning premierships is all about strength in depth. If Thorp is good enough, he'll get in to Hawthorn's best 22.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Winning premierships is all about strength in depth. If Thorp is good enough, he'll get in to Hawthorn's best 22.

I totally agree that without depth you will struggle to win a premiership, just look at the luxury geelong had last year of picking king or blake. Maybe if they played Blake they would've only won by 100pts

But have any of you hawthorn fans considered that because you have so much forward depth, maybe you are robbing yourself of the chance to get some great talent from the draft in other areas?

I mean if Buddy and Roughie stay fit and Thorp, Dowler and Boyle all stay on your list stealing a game here or there, wouldn't you be better trying to get a 1st or 2nd round pick to give you the chance to get other young players from the draft. Especially since hawthorn are likely to be high up the draft order in coming years the first pick might not be until pick 30 once GC get their concessions. Add to that the strength of this years draft, even if it's only a 2nd round pick you could still get a star with any pick inside the top 25

Why couldn't hawthorn trade one of the younger 2, who are more valuable, for picks which still leaves them with 2 more then decent back ups for the premier 2 you have on the park now? 2 back-ups is more then most teams have and it's still 4 more KP forwards then WB have.

And then they can take a young player from this years draft, one of a multitude of promising midfielders that'll still be available then or maybe a Vickery, who is a ruckman who can hold his own forward, meaning you don't lose much forward depth, but pick up some rucking depth or maybe Lisle to add to your KP defenders which appears to be the 1 question mark at hawthorn.

All i'm saying is that is there a chance that hawthorn could be being a touch greedy wanting to keep so much KP forward depth that in a few years it might bite them on the arse?

geez, i didnt realise you were part of the hawks selection team, mate no disrespect but you wouldn't have a clue what the club has planned for Thorp. It would be hugely unfair to rush him into the team this year, given he had no pre season and is continually battling fitness and injury in the VFL, given a full pre season he would definately be in the team round 1, 2009.

Don't be a moron, it's purely my opinion. :rolleyes:

As I said, Thorp has a lot of confidence in his own abilities, but he's also a natural leader and is quite vocal when he's playing.

As I said, if he breaks into the team good for him

Don't be a moron, it's purely my opinion. :rolleyes:

look mate, your putting expectations on a 19 year old kid here. Roughead only broke through to start playing good football mid last year, infact he was playing Box Hill mid last year, so given the fact he had 3 solid pre seasons before last year and Thorp still hasn't had one i think your being a little unreasonable.. plus i dont think there is any real rush to get him into the team? wait for him to develop physically. Don't wanna kill his confidence by playing him and then dropping him a few weeks later.

Most KPP take at least 2 or 3 pre seasons to develop themselves enough to be able to play a full season... Thorp is no different

look mate, your putting expectations on a 19 year old kid here.

LOL!!! I'm putting expectations on him by saying I think he'll struggle to break into the Hawthorn team?

Try again. Going by your logic what does it say about all the Hawthorn people stating that he is clearly better than Rivers?
Talk about putting too much expectations on someone :rolleyes:

Quite clearly you have no idea what you're talking about.

In reality if Thorp is as good and as confident as eveyone says he is then he may end up wanting to leave because he'll be impatient with waiting for an injury to get into the team ahead on Franklin and Roughhead. If he can walk into another team and immediately claim a KP why would he bother playing several more seasons at VFL level.
Seems like the Hawks are goign to struggle to keep him in the future, better sign him up on a long term contract.

LOL!!! I'm putting expectations on him by saying I think he'll struggle to break into the Hawthorn team?

Try again. Going by your logic what does it say about all the Hawthorn people stating that he is clearly better than Rivers?
Talk about putting too much expectations on someone :rolleyes:

Quite clearly you have no idea what you're talking about.

In reality if Thorp is as good and as confident as eveyone says he is then he may end up wanting to leave because he'll be impatient with waiting for an injury to get into the team ahead on Franklin and Roughhead. If he can walk into another team and immediately claim a KP why would he bother playing several more seasons at VFL level.
Seems like the Hawks are goign to struggle to keep him in the future, better sign him up on a long term contract.

What you think he'd want to walk into your struggling club??? pfft pretty sure he'd rather fight for his spot, which he will get and be able to play in a team that will be challenging for a top 4 spot for at least the next 5 years!

and the supporters view is that he has more POTENTIAL then rivers!

I can tell you now that Thorp is as far away from being a leader as Fevola. There is every chance he will be offloaded at years end unless he is able to change his attitude. He is of great concern to the club at the moment.

I can tell you now that Thorp is as far away from being a leader as Fevola. There is every chance he will be offloaded at years end unless he is able to change his attitude. He is of great concern to the club at the moment.

No, he's not. He won't be offloaded at the end of the year. Of those tall players not playing senior footy at Hawthorn at the moment (Dowler, Boyle, Thorp and Dawson), Boyle and Dawson are likeliest to be given the chop by the club at the end of 2008. We will not, repeat not, be trading or giving away a 19 year old key position prospect and I do not believe the club will be trading or giving away Dowler, either.

People seem to confuse self-confidence with attitude problems.

Remove this Banner Ad

Possible Trade

Remove this Banner Ad

Back