Possibly The Most Underatered Player Of The Modern Era

Remove this Banner Ad

John longmire gets forgotten about a bit, kicked 100 goals aged 19, played in a fwd structure that was set up to favor carey, did a knee i think when knees were ruining careers and came back and nailed a new role as a defender as well

Nope got the yips and kicked like 1 goal 8 or something in the last round to finish on 98 or 99 goals from memory.

Not that that takes away from how much of a good player he was

Joel Selwood.

Not many rate him near highly enough and put the likes of Cripps/Oliver/Rioli/Hodge/Martin/Cotchin/Burgoyne/The entire GWS midfield before him.

When you look at his career as well his accolades you wonder if they're smoking crack

Joel Selwood.

Not many rate him near highly enough and put the likes of Cripps/Oliver/Rioli/Hodge/Martin/Cotchin/Burgoyne/The entire GWS midfield before him.

When you look at his career as well his accolades you wonder if they're smoking crack

On the one hand, you look at all those accolades and say that he is underrated career-wise. In the team of the 2000s thread, I think he was a pretty rare inclusion; I had Pendlebury and Swan ahead of him, among others. I'm still comfortable in saying Pendles has been slightly better (and is certainly playing better right now), but not so sure about Swan on reflection.

On the other hand, he's only added two AA selections (and captaincy) and continuing as Geelong captain to that list in the past five years. He's playing a very selfless role for the team this year and he might get some pretty important honours added to that list at the end of the season, but as things stand, it's difficult to see him adding to his 6 AAs now at 31 years old.

On the one hand, you look at all those accolades and say that he is underrated career-wise. In the team of the 2000s thread, I think he was a pretty rare inclusion; I had Pendlebury and Swan ahead of him, among others. I'm still comfortable in saying Pendles has been slightly better (and is certainly playing better right now), but not so sure about Swan on reflection.
Selwood has never had a single year of utter dominance a la Swan, Ablett, Fyfe, Dusty, Judd, Mitchell or Dangerfield, but has all of them covered bar Ablett and perhaps Judd for the sheer amount of time that he has spent as an elite midfielder IMO. His consistency has been incredible - hasn't polled less than 13 votes in the Brownlow since his debut season.

Pendlebury is having an absolute elite season that’s flying under the radar imo. I don’t think there’s ever been a player that’s as effective with ball in hand

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Craig Lambert
Anthony Stevens
Scott West
Nigel Smart
Joel Bowden

These would be my nominations
Lambert is an excellent nomination, almost the forgotten 'gun' from the Lions.

West is something like 4th on the all time brownlow medal vote tally.
Finished second twice (2000 to Woewodin who somehow got 2 votes for 17 touches in 3 quarters in the last round, and 2006). Also finished 3rd in 99.

Mal Michael.

In the best team for many a year he always took the best forward.

Pike, the CHB, in North's 1999 Grand Finals team was on the wing. Leppa, all Australian Best and Fairest etc took a nobody. Darryl White (see a head and jump on top of it) would line up on some poor sucker but Mal would get, and destroy, the opposition beast.

The Freo star with the big nose ( Pav, my favourite non brissie player) was named at full back in the All Aust team one year, instead of Mal, and Pav admitted it was the one position that he had NEVER played.

The key defender at Brisbane in their glory days was Michael. He was the foundation of a back line that was so strong. Brisbane had something that I called the porcupine, many fists raised to spoil. The present Brisbane full back (Andrews) often raises a fist by himself and that's why he is highly rated. Not so in the Brissie backline of 2002.

"They shalt not mark" was the Mal Michael commandment.

I remember that game at Kardinia park, apart from those 8 goals he didn't have a great game.

Leigh Matthews once replied to a comment that Simon Black had just had a game where Black had got 39 disposals while the best that Matthew had ever had was much less (low 30s) by pointing out that he had kicked eleven goals as well.

Pendlebury is having an absolute elite season that’s flying under the radar imo. I don’t think there’s ever been a player that’s as effective with ball in hand
Gary Ablett Junior

Remove this Banner Ad

Possibly The Most Underatered Player Of The Modern Era

Remove this Banner Ad

Back