Autopsy Post Game discussion Pies v Port. Down by 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Toughness or stupidity? It's great to fly the flag, but he gave away a free kick and will probably miss weeks now. It's pretty selfish and stupid if you ask me.

To add to that he absolutely lost his head and turned over his next 3 kicks.
There is a fine line sometimes. Tay crossed it and needs to walk it better. But I do love his toughness. That goal from the boundary was pretty special too, especially after all the booing.

I love Bucks but there was a big mistake last night with the selction of Brodie .
Forward line is really struggling, Cloke played like a dry weather game, White i dont even ****ing know what hes doing, Elliot in horrible form, but wouldnt drop him, Fasolo 2 poor games in a row.
The backline has been sensational, its so young but so good, even last night, if Marley played he wouldve nullified Wingards impact.
Frost just shuts down key fwds, big tick for him again last night.
Langdon gets unfairly treated on this board, puts his heart and soul into the game, yes he may be slow but is vital down back.

In other things, Adams what a disgusting act, will get 3 weeks, Greenwood will come straight in, a like for like youd think.
Our run home suggests we need another 5 wins for finals WCE WBD MELB CARL SYD RICH GEEL ESS The ones ive highlighted in red is the games that will get us there, a win is a possibilty next week, also against the tiges. We will still make finals imo.

Hows Kane Cornes chiming in on Twitter, this coming from the bloke that parachuted on his teammates 1/2 through a season when they were struggling.

Get f**ked you parasite

Yeah he just should've said nothing. Adams got absolutely crucified by channel 7 last night. Since when do they replay a incident 200 times like they did last night.

On another note. Our VFL keep winning all the close ones while the AFL keep losing. Wish it was the other way around.

There is a fine line sometimes. Tay crossed it and needs to walk it better. But I do love his toughness. That goal from the boundary was pretty special too, especially after all the booing.
The goal from the boundary was an absolute fluke in my eyes haha, but I'll take it!!

At the start of the game I too thought we may have gone in too tall but seriously don't think it cost us the game.
For those that do, can you tell me me how the game would have played out say with Kennedy in?
For mine it was the first qtr, lack of a functioning fwd line, the injury to Broomhead, a couple of dubious decisions, and perhaps given our youth and six day break we are not ready yet.

Yeah he just should've said nothing. Adams got absolutely crucified by channel 7 last night. Since when do they replay a incident 200 times like they did last night.

On another note. Our VFL keep winning all the close ones while the AFL keep losing. Wish it was the other way around.
Seven, grubs.

Yeah we could use some of that magic in the seniors, definitely

I don't understand why Elliott runs through the mid/back. His decision making isn't great for that. He is brilliant at getting it turning around and having the sticks as a target. His thought process is this.. get it.. make my mind up quickly and go for it. He isn't great at changing his mind and looking at a few options.. he gets flustered in the mid and back doing that. Leave the lil bugger up front.. stop with this mid/back bull.s... seriously.
If he's playing as a high half forward, they are now instructed to push as high as the half back flank for stoppages or chase their man when he's pushed forward.

What Adams was bloody stupid and he'll cop it but unfortunately so will the team.

While the last 3 weeks has been so very frustrating - who in all honesty when we saw the fixture in October last year really expected us to win any of these 3 games after the bye. I didn't.

0-3 is what many would have thought so really we haven't lost anything in the overall.

We have 8 wins which is 1-2 more than most would have expected us to have after R15.

There are many +ve's to take from the last 3 weeks - one is that our % has held up. That is probably worth 1 game, when compared to the other teams around us.

Let's not panic, after all 2015 is still a development year for many of our players.

About half of those would have been while the ball was in play :drunk:

I lost count how many times I yelled at the TV last night. Bruce and Wayne Carey were unbearable.

Nathan needs to make a statement at the selection table next week, otherwise we're going to get mauled by West Coast.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Freo and Hawks losses, I thought we played well, just lost by a few mistakes.

This game however was filled with such poor poor decisions. First three quarters some of the decisions by the players had me wanting to break the phone, just like Buckley.

Tackling was poor, multiple players running to the ball carrier instead of manning up. Lack of shepherding. The Team play was non existent.

Jesse White needs to stop trying to finesse the ball or try a fancy flick on. Just Grab the pill.

I thought there were some instances of Kicking in danger by the port players. Pies players stopped trying to pick up the ball in the end because their hands were getting booted.

Needed to play down the line for stoppages, but for three quarters tried to play uncontested footy. I feel it's the young kids just rigidly playing to a system and not thinking about the conditions.

I thought the defense played well, having Marley would've been a huge difference, they were a bit too mobile.

We were behind the 8 ball with the extra tall in selection, but our style of play for the most part was frustrating to watch given the conditions.

They really REALLY put the whistle away in the last quarter, to our disadvantage. Amount of times players were tackled before receiving the ball or copped high, or slid into was ridiculous. Yet we get pinned for that shit .. like honestly at one moment fasolo had to jump up to avoid the guy sliding into him.. umpires wake up.

Most frustrating thing out of the last three weeks is we should have won the games. Maybe fremantle was 50/50 but last week and last night we should have won. They played there best footy and we played like dogs...just should have been ours. Oh well

Still not one article has mentioned the free kick to Oxley that would have decided the game

Evidently that just has to be treated as an act of God :mad:

Disappointing loss because I thought we played the conditions poorly. Port showed how to do it by just clearing their forward line and knocking the ball forward, while we tried to over possess it with little handballs, etc.

Good learning experience, but the reality is 0-3 over the past month which can't be overlooked.

They really REALLY put the whistle away in the last quarter, to our disadvantage. Amount of times players were tackled before receiving the ball or copped high, or slid into was ridiculous. Yet we get pinned for that shit .. like honestly at one moment fasolo had to jump up to avoid the guy sliding into him.. umpires wake up.

Most frustrating thing out of the last three weeks is we should have won the games. Maybe fremantle was 50/50 but last week and last night we should have won. They played there best footy and we played like dogs...just should have been ours. Oh well

Especially since Moore got pinged earlier in the game for sliding into a Port guys legs when he won the ****ing ball. I hate that rule so much. It's a bullshit rule. Players don't wanna go get the ball anymore as they'll get pinged for a free.

I bet if we were leading in the last and it was down Ports end those maggots would've given them a free kick.

Just joined this thread guys but just thought I'd point some things out.
1. Playing Grundy/Witts/Cloke/White/Moore was never going to work in wet conditions. Kennedy or Scharenberg should have come in for Williams.
2. Something needs to be done about the third-man-up rule. Every throw-in had four ruckmen (Ryder Lobbe Witts and Grundy) jumping at it. Ridiculous.
3. Our forward line is terrible at the moment. Moore doesn't look ready for playing AFL yet. White simply isn't an AFL quality player.
4. Our kicking skills are simply sub par. The amount of missed easy targets last night were ridiculous.
5. Frost is turning into an A grade full back. Another great game.
6. We're really struggling to defend small forwards. Walters, Rioli and Wingard have killed us in the last three weeks.
7. These narrow losses have diminished our top four chances. WCE next week is a must-win at the 'G.
8. Cloke is pushing too far up the ground leaving no quality target i50 when we move the ball quickly.

What a joke we are, Port deserved to win.

Wet weather conditions and we played Grundy anyway?, seriously? Brainless morons.
Should have gone with Kennedy. 2 Ruckmen were not needed, White could have covered.

Disappointed Cloke didn't even come close to looking dangerous inside 50, nor did Elliot aside one goal. Blair missed two he'd normally kick without a doubt. Elliot's turned into butter fingers, don't know what's happened to him.

Please send Moore + Maynard back to the VFL.

Tayor + Varcoe continue to impress.

To all those who don't know or care to know.

Jamie Elliott's father was killed early in his life and last week it was clear that the murder had affected him more than others. I met him 4 weeks ago when he came into my store. If you saw one of his fingers (broken and smashed) you would understand why he might be dropping marks at the moment.
He came back last night to gain 22 possessions and if you look at things without hate, or whinge you would see that most of his possessions were effective, although he was playing much further up the ground than normal. Collingwood have to learn how to defend (which they do well) and be able to get back as forwards. Too often over the past few weeks we have bombed the ball into an empty or highly outnumbered forward line. Last night, I would have cleared out the forward line in the last 10 minutes, manned up Broadbent and left swan in the square...but hindsight and sitting on the couch is easy.

You know, I am 90% sure we will end up similar to last year. Just out of the eight. Expect losses against.....west coast, Sydney, Richmond, bullgogs (they smashed us same time last year and they are travelling better this year) and possibly Geelong. Wins against ess, carlt and Melbourne will not be sufficient to make finals this year I'm afraid lads. Also, if we don't move swan to a fwd position for the remainder of the year and next he may as well retire....everyone raves about his possession numbers, but they ate nearly always ineffective, or backwards these days. Sick of seeing him fail to chase his opponent and has lost 25% of his pace this year

Now finally Buckley's coaching:

I can't decide if Buckley (like his career playing at times) is too cute and smug. many have questioned last nights selection decisions...I tend to agree that I nearly drove off the road when I heard Williams out and grundy in with rainstorms heading to the oval. If BK was taken to Adelaide then he should have played.
two weeks back Collingwood selected two first game juniors in a game against the best team that has played for 10 years.....my god, Moore (who I think will be a champion) had 6 kicks the week before he played. Shaz and greenwood would have been better selections, although I do concede I donlt know how greenie has been pulling up after games. Shaz is a seriously good defender........as good if not better than maynard......Karnezis is kicking goals in the twos and playing well too
But to me it seems like Bucks and the selectors have conceded this year is stuffed and are planning to blood players for next year. Keep in mind that we had a good draw this year because we finished outside the 8 last year...perhaps the plan is to concede fall back to 9th, get a good draw next year and then dominate for the next 3 years or so.....

Knew it was a danger game and knew it was a loss after the first few minutes. Poor decision making, poor ball use, poor kicking for goal, regular campaigner umpiring.

There seems to be two sets of rules, one for when Collingwood has the ball and one for when the opposition does.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Post Game discussion Pies v Port. Down by 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back