Post here if your club has never had any player or coach that has been convicted of doping, racism or using homophobic slurs.

Remove this Banner Ad

My bad Bont2Bruce - my point stands though, if youā€™ve got LGBT family members that you supposedly value that much, why would you say that sort of stuff on the football field?
I think because its just a random insult and people are saying words without meaning to reflect the original meaning.

eg gay just means lame, ****** just means loser/soft and ********er just means you done something I disagree with.

Note for anyone who wants to grill me for what I've just written I am just trying to answer the question.

I think because its just a random insult and people are saying words without meaning to reflect the original meaning.

eg gay just means lame, ****** just means loser/soft and ********er just means you done something I disagree with.

Note for anyone who wants to grill me for what I've just written I am just trying to answer the question.
What's the word you mention after "gay"?

letā€™s be honest your track record of de-Brisbaning players hasnā€™t been great :$
Right now I think any posts about Akermanis would be more appropriate to post on BigGolfy, thank you very much

Right now I think any posts about Akermanis would be more appropriate to post on BigGolfy, thank you very much
given all the flogs making their way onto the AFLs boys club it's disheartening that the only ex-player with actual character is shafted to radio broadcasts

letā€™s be honest your track record of de-Brisbaning players hasnā€™t been great :$
Which was the issue with Brad Johnson and co + Aker. Aker was trying to Brisbaneise Western Bulldogs. Instead they wanted to de-Brisbane him. Weird when Aker has more flags than Western Bulldogs

(Log in to remove this ad.)

lol. A ****** is a bundle of sticks as well but I doubt Finlayson was talking about sticks when he said it.

We were still in the process of de-Brisbaining him at the time.
You shouldā€™ve just tried to de-Aker him instead. I mean you guys got rid of the post win handstands wtf!

lol. A ****** is a bundle of sticks as well but I doubt Finlayson was talking about sticks when he said it.
Yeah but he didn't mean "you are a disgusting homosexual you should be ashamed of yourself because of your sexual preferences. Your sexual preferences are wrong as is everyones that are homosexual"

He just meant 'You're annoying me so I'm going to say a random insult" or "You're soft /you're a loser"

Obviously theres the argument that the words still very much have their original meaning attached and have historically (and still currently in some contexts) are used in the 'you are a disgusting homoesexual' tone and do cause discomfort to people hearing those words which I don't want to get into that argument, but its very clear that a large portion of the time these words are just used as synonyms for soft / loser / lame / random insult.

Yeah but he didn't mean "you are a disgusting homosexual you should be ashamed of yourself because of your sexual preferences. Your sexual preferences are wrong as is everyones that are homosexual"

He just meant 'You're annoying me so I'm going to say a random insult" or "You're soft /you're a loser"

Obviously theres the argument that the words still very much have their original meaning attached and have historically (and still currently in some contexts) are used in the 'you are a disgusting homoesexual' tone and do cause discomfort to people hearing those words which I don't want to get into that argument, but its very clear that a large portion of the time these words are just used as synonyms for soft / loser / lame / random insult.
And yet itā€™s very easy not to use those words in that context.

And regardless of the context they are used they are hurtful and offensive to people so there should be consequences in the same way as if someone used the n word as an insult in any context.

Itā€™s really not that hard.

You shouldā€™ve just tried to de-Aker him instead. I mean you guys got rid of the post win handstands wtf!
The handstands were his only redeeming feature

Lulwut.

Your example of using those words to describe someone as "soft" is problematic as well. It I insinuates that gay people are inherently soft/lame/losers.

Even without the connotation that homosexuals = bad/wrong/disgusting.

It's the same reason using 'girl' as an insult (eg run like a girl etc) is ****ing stupid.

Itā€™s still really offensive. Youā€™re literally saying gays are lame!

Lulwut.

Your example of using those words to describe someone as "soft" is problematic as well. It I insinuates that gay people are inherently soft/lame/losers.

Even without the connotation that homosexuals = bad/wrong/disgusting.

It's the same reason using 'girl' as an insult (eg run like a girl etc) is ****ing stupid.
And yet itā€™s very easy not to use those words in that context.

And regardless of the context they are used they are hurtful and offensive to people so there should be consequences in the same way as if someone used the n word as an insult in any context.

Itā€™s really not that hard.
Yeah guys I made a fred during the week saying as much. I am not defending the use of words. I am just answering a posters question which was "why would you say that sort of stuff on the football field?" I am answering the psyche of why Finlayson and Powell have said it, not encouraging it or condoning it.

Kabanna

Yeah guys I made a fred during the week saying as much. I am not defending the use of words. I am just answering a posters question which was "why would you say that sort of stuff on the football field?" I am answering the psyche of why Finlayson and Powell have said it, not encouraging it or condoning it.

Kabanna
You can ā€œexplainā€ it all you like, but I reiterate, Finlayson wasnā€™t referring to a bundle of sticks when he called the Essendon player in question a ******. There are plenty of other non-homophobic sounding words he could have chosen.

I think Aker is on the spectrum

Has had too many incidents of foot in mouth disease (aka insulting Jim Stynes the morning after he passed away etc)

I am still a bit steamed about those comments btw, Jim meant so much to me in my troubled youth

Words can hurt/wound far more than physical attacks, which is why I suspect the AFL is cracking down hard on Homophobic sledges on field.

I think Aker is on the spectrum

Has had too many incidents of foot in mouth disease (aka insulting Jim Stynes the morning after he passed away etc)

I am still a bit steamed about those comments btw, Jim meant so much to me in my troubled youth

Words can hurt/wound far more than physical attacks, which is why I suspect the AFL is cracking down hard on Homophobic sledges on field.
Oh yeah I totally get the AFLā€™s stance on homophobic sledges. Aker was a great player but I couldnā€™t stand him off the field because of this type of behaviour. Now heā€™s a real estate agent and once got busted mentioning to prospective buyers that the seller of a house he had listed is a domestic violence victim and their ex had just gone to jail. Disgusting

Oh yeah I totally get the AFLā€™s stance on homophobic sledges. Aker was a great player but I couldnā€™t stand him off the field because of this type of behaviour. Now heā€™s a real estate agent and once got busted mentioning to prospective buyers that the seller of a house he had listed is a domestic violence victim and their ex had just gone to jail. Disgusting

It's such a shame such a talented and gifted footballer has ruined his legacy and goodwill amongst supporters by being a toxic gasbag.

Remove this Banner Ad

Post here if your club has never had any player or coach that has been convicted of doping, racism or using homophobic slurs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back