Potential 3rd WA team

Remove this Banner Ad

piesnz

Team Captain
Oct 9, 2006
AFL Club
Collingwood
With the financial strength of the 2 WA teams combined with the continued complaints we hear from their supporters (especially Eagles fans) that they cannot get in to the stadium to watch their team, it is clear Perth would be able to support 3 teams. However, the problem is in building a model that can recruit enough supporters away from Freo and more importantly Eagles to a new team. Not being from WA I don't know how the allegiances are established or whether there are clear North/South or East/West Perth divisions over there. To the West Australians, is there some model that could be established to recruit a significant number of Perth'ites to a new team?

Base it out of Karratha. All the supporters would be loaded and could FIFO to all of the away matches. In fact they could recruit guys like Judd and put him on Rio Tinto's payroll to dig a hole in the ground for $500k every year.

There has been talk coming from an amateur club in Perth's Northern Suburbs that THEY would be the logical choice for WA's third AFL licence.

Just for a laugh, go to www.footygoss.com and have a read of some bloke who calls himself Barry Dawson's drunken rants about the topic. He and his cohorts truly believe that they are the messiah's of WA footy. He even tries to go so far as to hide his true identity by saying he is a visitor from Victoria who just happened across this club by chance. Hilarious stuff....

They've canvassed everything from having West Coast move to their facilities as their headquarters, getting the 10th WAFL licence to the delusional dream of being the 3rd AFL club in Perth. Not bad for a club who's greatest moment so far is a D Grade Premiership. Even their President thinks he is Andrew Demetriou. Delusions of Grandeur at its very best!

I am sure even Bill Duckworth's North Beach would have a better case if it were to veer happen.

But its sure worth a read for some comedy value!

Instead of weakening the strong clubs, we should look at strengthening the existing clubs, the last thing the competition needs is another burden and further dilution. Given the upheavel at the moment, I'd hate to see another expansion club for at least 20 years (a Tasmanian relocation is another prospect)

WA football is in reasonable shape at the moment - in 4 years time with a full house at the new 60k seat stadium every week the sport will be in great shape.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1. A new club would not increase engagement enough to justify a new club.

2. No where to play, as the wa teams play home games on alternative weeks.

3. WA's regional centre with any great population is the peel region and that is only 1 hour from Perth.

For what it's worth there is no doubt financially and from a population perspective WA could accommodate a third team. But there is no requirement to have a 3rd team. For instance if they next ventured into north Queensland there is 400,000 people who would be exposed to AFL football.

We look like making a "profit" of 500k...where is this financial strength you speak of? All at West Coast...

Your mob have turned it around very well though in recent years.

Tassie needs a permanent team located there before anywhere else is considered. Whether its a new team or a relocated one.

I know at least a couple of AFL club CEOs think a 3rd WA club is the most likely next AFL inclusion.

Won't work.

Perth is divided into two by the swan river- the north is heavily West Coast supporting and the south is roughly 60-40 Fremantle supporting, though Fremantle's percentage is increasing.

Nowhere else in Perth for a team.

Albury-Wodonga would be ahead of Mandurah and regional WA for a team.

Only place a 3rd team could come from would be Bunbury/Mandurah with an elevation of Peel Thunder, but I don't understand why you'd want to dilute a successful market. Theres no real demand for it.

Won't work.

Just repeating what I've been told. They're obviously not the AFL's decision makers so I wouldn't be too worried if I were you. I only mention it because they'd have some different insights from your average punter.

Yep go for it I say, Bring in the mighty West Perth Football club, call us Joondalup for all I care, Red Jumper Blue sash.

Be awesome.

Never going to happen people, the two AFL clubs now don't even want a new stadium. they like the supply and demand format they have now better.

They really should just get a move on with building the new stadium asap so the current clubs can take advantage of there support.

Remove this Banner Ad

Potential 3rd WA team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back