Potential 3rd WA team

Remove this Banner Ad

Should and hopefully will happen. Some people will resist change but that doesn't matter.

Approved by AFL by the end of the decade and get the club up and running by 2025. I don't want a license that doesnt have the WAFC as the majority share holder, I fully expect the AFL to use this to buy a slice of WC and Freo.

Besides we need some real competition.

Won't work.

Perth is divided into two by the swan river- the north is heavily West Coast supporting and the south is roughly 60-40 Fremantle supporting, though Fremantle's percentage is increasing.

Nowhere else in Perth for a team.

Albury-Wodonga would be ahead of Mandurah and regional WA for a team.

Coming from the Easten Suburbs I find this concept totally pathetic, no real North/ South devide exists. The Northern Suburbs are perhaps a little larger and for that reason you see more middle class people. Economic and Socially the devide is greatest east to west. Thornlie has more in common with Midland that it does with Fremantle or Bull Creek.

Both Westcoast and Fremantle exist within the golden triangle.

Coming from the Easten Suburbs I find this concept totally pathetic, no real North/ South devide exists. The Northern Suburbs are perhaps a little larger and for that reason you see more middle class people. Economic and Socially the devide is greatest east to west. Thornlie has more in common with Midland that it does with Fremantle or Bull Creek.

Both Westcoast and Fremantle exist within the golden triangle.
there might be "some divide". not as big as people make out. I mean Freo is south, and people south generally have an association with city of fremantle. nothing to do with river itself though.

at the moment 3x teams is not viable but in 10-15 years, when we have population of 2.5mill, definately viable.

however, when considering hysteria regarding carbon tax & mining tax, a relocated east coast team may not be accepted very well. Joondalup Kangaroos or Joondalup Bulldogs...hmmm Joondalup Power might be OK :p just teasing, no need to bark at me.

hopefully West Perth will give up its nickname so we can have Joondalup Falcons.

oh and if it goes north, it will eat into WCE territory only. doubt many docker fans north.

Isn't that pretty well due to the royalties paid to the WAFC?

Probably! What do we have to pay them from each club? Around 4 - 4.5 million per year?

Pity the WAFL clubs dont seem to get all that much benefit from it.

Edit: A bit of Googling helps me out a bit here. It appears we play 3$ million per year plus 80% of the profit. I'd assume that WCE have a similar deal. If our 20% leftovers this year amount to $500k then we would have paid in the vicinity of 5 million (3 million plus 4 * 500k). We could use some that 80% to bolster our off field support I would think. Maybe get a doctor who can fix stuff....

How quickly do you see this 3rd team coming into the comp.

I dont see any value in more teams because we cant produce enough players of quality - how many duds & learners are on the lists this year, answer lots. How many next year - an additional 40.

You want lots of teams follow the Foxtel Cup, lots of different teams, different players, none up to elite standard, none/NIL.

3rd team in WA = dumb idea. At least in the short term.

We have 2 in SA; 2 in WA; 2 in QLD and next year 2 in NSW.

The QLD and NSW teams are going to be on handouts for decades to keep them alive. SA football is up that well known creek paddling with their hands and are going to chew up a lot of AFL funds over the next few years.

If WA footy is in good shape, great. Lets not **** with it and keep it that way.

We need to take a couple of years to bed down GC and GWS and get SA footy financial again. After that, any further expansion should be, in order:

Tasmania
Canberra
Cairns (FNQ is a different state to the rest of QLD anyway)
NT

After all that, if another team is to go into WA I'd consider putting it up north. Don't know if there's the population to support it but there would be the money.

Don't know why people insist that places without a footy team should get one. Canberra will never work. WA does not need another one, I agree. But WA would get another one before Canberra ever will. Even then, like at least 30 years away.

there might be "some divide". not as big as people make out. I mean Freo is south, and people south generally have an association with city of fremantle. nothing to do with river itself though.

at the moment 3x teams is not viable but in 10-15 years, when we have population of 2.5mill, definately viable.

however, when considering hysteria regarding carbon tax & mining tax, a relocated east coast team may not be accepted very well. Joondalup Kangaroos or Joondalup Bulldogs...hmmm Joondalup Power might be OK :p just teasing, no need to bark at me.

hopefully West Perth will give up its nickname so we can have Joondalup Falcons.

oh and if it goes north, it will eat into WCE territory only. doubt many docker fans north.

Population increase here, just as it has been for the past 10 years, will mostly be blow-ins who for the most part will not give a fig about Australian Rules.

Maybe their kids and grandkids will but to base an argument for another team on short term population increase alone is a little flawed in this instance.

A third WA team would do almost nothing to dilute West Coast's strength, would turn Freo into a Port-like financial basket case and the new club would be much the same.

If you wanted to send Freo under and return to the days of a single WA club, that would be a great strategy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With the financial strength of the 2 WA teams combined with the continued complaints we hear from their supporters (especially Eagles fans) that they cannot get in to the stadium to watch their team, it is clear Perth would be able to support 3 teams. However, the problem is in building a model that can recruit enough supporters away from Freo and more importantly Eagles to a new team. Not being from WA I don't know how the allegiances are established or whether there are clear North/South or East/West Perth divisions over there. To the West Australians, is there some model that could be established to recruit a significant number of Perth'ites to a new team?

Colin the Bland has promised a new stadium. When* this is complete it will solve the problem referred to, and remove it as a justification for a 3rd team.

Ironically, when* the new stadium is complete it will make it even harder to establish a 3rd team. Can't imagine it would be much of a spectacle playing in a 60,000 seater stadium only a quarter full, and would make the break-even figure harder to reach.

*and if

A third WA team would do almost nothing to dilute West Coast's strength, would turn Freo into a Port-like financial basket case and the new club would be much the same.

If you wanted to send Freo under and return to the days of a single WA club, that would be a great strategy.

brilliant_RE_Lets_Say-s580x435-79991.jpg

Melbourne has a population of just over 4million, and manages to field nine teams. That's around 450k per team. Of course, some of those teams struggle quite a bit for members. But then, the city also has a few Geelong, Brisbane and Sydney fans, too. So give or take, somewhere around one team per 500k is probably sustainable.

Perth has a population of 1.7million and currently has two teams. On paper, a third team is definitely sustainable. If not right now, definitely in the future.

FWIW, the entire population of Tasmania is just over 500k. IMHO, the only way they could ever hope to field a team is to get rid of the North-South bickering.

Melbourne has a population of just over 4million, and manages to field nine teams. That's around 450k per team. Of course, some of those teams struggle quite a bit for members.

You could say over half struggle for the necessary funding required to operate a successful modern football club without handouts from the AFL which will not last forever.

Adelaide barely manages to support two clubs with a pop well over 1 million in a football state.

IMO, a million people per club is a more accurate indicator of the viability of an AFL expansion club these days. Without assistance from the AFL, who are in a position to assist only due to national expansion into WA and SA, Melbourne would have lost 4 or 5 clubs by now.

Joondalup council has already put it's hand up to the afl. It will be many years before more teams are introduced but Im confident it will happen here. My guess is with an inclusion of a Tassie team much like GWS and GC.

Here is an article on it

http://www.inmycommunity.com.au/new...oondalups-AFL-dream-gathers-momentum/7554628/

The far northern suburbs are growing rapidly, Ive lived in the area for most of my life and seen the expansion. If the next clubs are introduced around 2020, this area could easily support a club.

With the financial strength of the 2 WA teams combined with the continued complaints we hear from their supporters (especially Eagles fans) that they cannot get in to the stadium to watch their team, it is clear Perth would be able to support 3 teams. However, the problem is in building a model that can recruit enough supporters away from Freo and more importantly Eagles to a new team. Not being from WA I don't know how the allegiances are established or whether there are clear North/South or East/West Perth divisions over there. To the West Australians, is there some model that could be established to recruit a significant number of Perth'ites to a new team?
Bring in the 2nd most succesful club in Australia, East Fremantle they have Port Adelaide.

I think the entire WAFL should be promoted the the national league and drip fed survival money.

Good enough for a bunch of Victorian suburban clubs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Potential 3rd WA team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back