Potential 3rd WA team

Remove this Banner Ad

Genuine question: what's the support for the Cardies..sorry, Falcons like up there? How many junior footy participants compared to other codes at the moment?

More chance of me winning Lotto and I don't even buy tickets.

Yep go for it I say, Bring in the mighty West Perth Football club, call us Joondalup for all I care, Red Jumper Blue sash.

Be awesome.

Never going to happen people, the two AFL clubs now don't even want a new stadium. they like the supply and demand format they have now better.

That would be worst possible scenario. This has been mentioned before, wasn't it the West Perth Royals or something? That thought of East Perth and West Perth combining is hard enough let alone seeing the red and blue go out against West Coast. It would destroy AFL for me.

Anyway. Third WA team ridiculous idea. It's north or south of the river and both sides are accounted for.

In early 2000s I went to an East Perth/West Perth grand final and there was almost 40k in Subiaco. Admittedly it was at a time when eagles and dockers were doing badly but there is clearly good support of other clubs in WA that could be elevated.

West Coast has 64000 members - why the f*** are we building a 60000 seat stadium anyway? By the time it is finished it could well be 80k and the same problem will happen. Id much rather see a 2nd AFL division built up - maybe 2 WAFL/VFL etc clubs from each state play in a 2nd division and have promotion/relegation like the EPL. Would take absolute years to set up but I think relegation would definitely make the season more interesting

That would be worst possible scenario. This has been mentioned before, wasn't it the West Perth Royals or something? That thought of East Perth and West Perth combining is hard enough let alone seeing the red and blue go out against West Coast. It would destroy AFL for me.

Anyway. Third WA team ridiculous idea. It's north or south of the river and both sides are accounted for.

Some would have said the same about the Fremantle Dockers coming from Easts and Souths.

Speaking of which, that's why I don't support Fremantle despite being an East Freo supporter.

Mighty falcons for sure!! Not that it will happen though :eek:

If it was to be anywhere it would Mandurah, much to my despise. But I can't see why not for a claremont or swanbourne areas

With the financial strength of the 2 WA teams combined with the continued complaints we hear from their supporters (especially Eagles fans) that they cannot get in to the stadium to watch their team, it is clear Perth would be able to support 3 teams. However, the problem is in building a model that can recruit enough supporters away from Freo and more importantly Eagles to a new team. Not being from WA I don't know how the allegiances are established or whether there are clear North/South or East/West Perth divisions over there. To the West Australians, is there some model that could be established to recruit a significant number of Perth'ites to a new team?
Never happen. If it does it,ll be next century. They intend to build a fancy stadium over here , I,ll believe that when I see it.

The time frame for the stadium is during the next 7 or 8 years the blow out for the costs will be gigantic , I doubt it,ll happen . Everything here takes 100 years.

So a third team in WA, gee thats much more stupid than GWS and Gold Coast, which will kill the game eventually.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In early 2000s I went to an East Perth/West Perth grand final and there was almost 40k in Subiaco. Admittedly it was at a time when eagles and dockers were doing badly but there is clearly good support of other clubs in WA that could be elevated.

West Coast has 64000 members - why the f*** are we building a 60000 seat stadium anyway? By the time it is finished it could well be 80k and the same problem will happen. Id much rather see a 2nd AFL division built up - maybe 2 WAFL/VFL etc clubs from each state play in a 2nd division and have promotion/relegation like the EPL. Would take absolute years to set up but I think relegation would definitely make the season more interesting
NEVER, that will kill the sport ferever.

I predict no third team based in or near greater Perth, including Mandurah.

If ever, it will need to be a brand new or vastly expanded regional city - of half-a-million+ inhabitants. Like 25-50 years from now.

Spoken like someone who has never ventured south of the river.

Not sure what venturing SOR would glean, except that there are very few pubs, decent or otherwise between Canning Bridge and Fremantle. Unless you did a comprehensive survey any idea on overall supporter demographic would be guesswork.

The Eagles catered to Sandgropers who liked the VFL and wanted their own team. The Dockers catered for people who liked the AFL and didn't like the Eagles. Is it possible to get enough people in WA who don't like the Eagles or the Dockers, but still give a shit about the footy?

Remove this Banner Ad

Potential 3rd WA team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back