Discussion Potential Coach Replacements

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Scott Burns has been an assistant coach at West Coast, I think he's the midfield coach there. Not really all that keen on him, would have preferred Sanderson who has been in the Geelong set up, obviously the Crows do as well.

Not sure about Leon Cameron either, seems to be highly rated at Hawthorn but quite a few Bulldogs supporters are happy that they passed on him and took McCartney instead.

We really have been screwed in this whole deal, left to pick through the scraps of the other three clubs looking for coaches. Doesn't mean we can't still get a good coach but it certainly doesn't help.

Sanderson, wow.

Then anyone know much about Scott Burns' coaching credentials? Obviously highly rated for a reason.

3 seasons as assistant coach to Worsfold at the Eagles (midfield) as his only experience in the caper, is generally highly rated as good communicator with firm ideas as to how a midfield group operates in conjunction with the forward line (of which I'm lead to believe he and Sumich co-op'd quite regularly), so the rating is effectively nothing to do with a "journey" like other assistants who have been t several clubs.

Not that highly rated.

So it's just us now. Considering there has been no talk about Simon Goodwin in the Adelaide search, has the buzz about him disappeared? Did he even apply for the Crow job?

Gavin Brown is one name I had overlooked. Cameron, Burns, Richardson all still available from the assistant coaching pool. Lot of support here for Leigh Tudor. Not much support for an experienced coach unless his name is Malthouse or Matthews.

Not that highly rated.

So it's just us now. Considering there has been no talk about Simon Goodwin in the Adelaide search, has the buzz about him disappeared? Did he even apply for the Crow job?

Gavin Brown is one name I had overlooked. Cameron, Burns, Richardson all still available from the assistant coaching pool. Lot of support here for Leigh Tudor. Not much support for an experienced coach unless his name is Malthouse or Matthews.

Apparently when the Craig was sacked, when asked, Goodwin indicated he wanted to continue in the assistant coaching role at Ess for now....

I posted earlier that Sanderson could tip out Burns for the Croweaters job.
My updated wishlist for the Saints would now be:

Richardson, Watters, Burns and maybe Cameron and Rob Harvey.

Burnsy is probably off to Collingwood, but if we could nab him I'd be happy.

One question. Does anyone here think that us picking up Mark Harvey is any sort of REALISTIC chance, or would just be unthinkable?

How come?

FWIW Brereton just gave Watters some of the best glowing praise ever heard on SEN. Reckons he picks up modern trends in players and the game quicker than anyone else in the caper.

Gotta say i wasnt really into him, thought it was more the Collingwood hype surrounding him, but the more i read about him the more i think he is the man for the job. :thumbsu:

Top 13 coaches on Sportsbet. Cant believe Eade is still that high, same as Harvs

Robert Harvey 3.50
Rodney Eade 3.75
Scott Watters 5.00
Scott Burns 6.00
Leon Cameron 8.00
Michael Malthouse 11.00
Brenton Sanderson 15.00
Mark Harvey 17.00
Stephen Silvagni 17.00
Mark Williams 26.00
Neil Craig 26.00
Alan Richardson 34.00
Simon Goodwin 34.00

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gotta say i wasnt really into him, thought it was more the Collingwood hype surrounding him, but the more i read about him the more i think he is the man for the job. :thumbsu:

It was some interesting talk about him on SEN for sure. He's coached premierships at both WAFL Colts and WAFL Senior level, so he's got runs on the board in development and top level coaching. Also talk that his name hasn't been linked to any other jobs is because it was a gentlemen's agreement that the Freo job would likely be his in 2013. Would be quite ironic if Watters coached the Saints in that regard.

Would prefer Watters to Burns or Cameron if we are going to go for an untried assistant, unlike the other two he has also been a senior coach in the WAFL where he won two premierships.

Burnsy is probably off to Collingwood, but if we could nab him I'd be happy.

One question. Does anyone here think that us picking up Mark Harvey is any sort of REALISTIC chance, or would just be unthinkable?

Not really that keen on Mark Harvey, not as a senior coach anyway, maybe as an assistant. Would certainly add even more edge to the St Kilda/Freo rivalry if he did end up in a coaching role at St Kilda.

How come?

FWIW Brereton just gave Watters some of the best glowing praise ever heard on SEN. Reckons he picks up modern trends in players and the game quicker than anyone else in the caper.

Hopefully there will be a podcast of that interview because I'd like to hear it.

Lyon leaving at this last stage has left us behind the eight ball but there's no guarantee that Neeld, McCartney and Sanderson will turn out to be the best of the lot.

Everybody seems to talk highly of Watters and he's coached a team in his own right which appeals to me. Burns, Tudor and Cameron have all done their coaching apprenticeships with very good coaches. You never know what will happen though and we could get somebody who has not even been mentioned. Last time we were searching for a coach Chris Bond and John Longmire were the favourites and Lyon came in at the very last minute.

I just hope we go through a lengthy process. Sure, it would be nice to have a coach in place for week but we've got a shrewd operator in Chris Pelchen to look after the list management issues. It's reassuring to hear that he likes to focus on midfielders that can kick because God knows it is an area we need improvement in.

Think I saw that the players are heading off now for the end of season trip.

I guess they have finished getting their assessments (from Harvs) already.

Agree, no rush (other than for our interest).

Let the prospects present their cases, so we know they have good reasons for wanting to coach the Saints (not just any senior coaching gig as a launchpad) and a clear plan for the future.

3 seasons as assistant coach to Worsfold at the Eagles (midfield) as his only experience in the caper, is generally highly rated as good communicator with firm ideas as to how a midfield group operates in conjunction with the forward line (of which I'm lead to believe he and Sumich co-op'd quite regularly), so the rating is effectively nothing to do with a "journey" like other assistants who have been t several clubs.
Ha, thanks for that.

Reading a few articles on him, seems early on in the Adelaide selection process Burns expressed his doubt about weather he was ready for a senior gig. Apparently warmed to the idea, but that wouldn't exactly fill you with confidence..

I would really like to see Neil Craig at the club in some capacity.

Very intelligent and measured bloke and really knows how to get a footy side fit for battle. Think of Crows sides under his reign and they were always in top nick.

I know for a fact that LEIGH TUDOR isn't interested and is happy where he is.

Don't bother betting, or speculating.

L.Tudor will not be at St Kilda next year

Not that highly rated.

I think I am in a party of one, but I want Choco. Don't even like the bloke, but he can coach. Other thing is he is experienced and successful. Lyon had not been a senior coach but he was very experienced - over a decade of experience in the caper. I don't like the idea of a less experienced coach, eg someone with three or four years assistant coaching (I don't rate Brad Scott, and Chris Scott's team is coaching itself).

I don't want a bloke who's learning on the job.

Scott Burns apparently told Adelaide he isnt ready to be senior coach. Guess we dont want him anymore.

Robert Harvey has also officially put his hand in ring to be our senior coach next year.

I'd love to see Harves as head coach, but he seems well too inexperienced to me.

If we had someone like Laidly, choco or even Mark Harvey on the team id be much more inclined to approve of Harves as a head coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back