Discussion Potential Coach Replacements

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quite possibly we might know within 24-48 hours.

Surely it won't be that soon, as far as I'm aware they haven't even started interviewing anyone properly at this stage.

With the other coaching positions sewn up they have at least a couple of weeks to make a decision. I guess they would probably want to appoint a coach prior to the trade week in a few weeks time.

Succinct, yet accurate
No need to madly scurry around and appoint just "anyone"

Who says the other 3 clubs have appointed the "best available" candidate anyway?
Exactly, the other clubs were competing against each other so may have rushed to a decision. Trade week begins October 10, let's spend a week or two really investigating the candidates but still giving them enough time to prepare for the meat market.

Surely it won't be that soon, as far as I'm aware they haven't even started interviewing anyone properly at this stage.

With the other coaching positions sewn up they have at least a couple of weeks to make a decision. I guess they would probably want to appoint a coach prior to the trade week in a few weeks time.

It might depend when we actually started looking though. As far as i know they started talking to people Thursday Night/Friday Morning. Also depends on how serious we were about keeping Lyon in first place. We might have started it weeks ago :cool:

I dont care how long it takes as long as they get it right.

The Malthouse at any cost argument is flawed, anyone remember the Blight at any cost thing.
A young coach will be absolutely desperate to prove themselves and further their career. Malthouse could half heartedly coach StKilda, blame everyone but himself for any problems, and point to his track record to counter any critisism.

The club will dictate the overall strategy they want to take. They will be interested in finding a coach on the same wavelength.
No point rushing through an appointment, the new coach will have minimal imput in the draft and trade week. It is worth getting it done in a reasonable timeframe though, just so that everyone knows whats happening next year.

They will be interested in finding a coach on the same wavelength.

It is clear that the club has been with some potential candidates only in recent days. These people can't just walk in and say "I want to coach St Kilda" without having credible reasons why. They need (and deserve) time to assess the list and what direction they wish to take. Some of the candidates will be busy with their current clubs if still involved in finals.

All this tall of a rebuild is rubbish. You still some of the best players in the afl who aren't that old. You have gotten games into young players this year so I can't see you going backwards.

So go get malthouse and have a crack

You still some of the best players in the afl who aren't that old.

Would love to agree with you, but:
Hayes 31
Milne 31
Riewoldt 29
Fisher 29
Montagna 28

Dal Santo, Goddard, Gilbert, Gwilt and Schneider are all younger (although a couple of them by not that much).

Yeah but they are all still with you next year and your not getting rid of them. In my opinion you have better players than Geelong and they are playing off for a position in a gf. They're list is not young.

Malthouse would be a perfect fit. Should throw everything you have at him.

It is clear that the club has been with some potential candidates only in recent days. These people can't just walk in and say "I want to coach St Kilda" without having credible reasons why. They need (and deserve) time to assess the list and what direction they wish to take. Some of the candidates will be busy with their current clubs if still involved in finals.

Yep.

Time is not of the essence.

We should be patient and assess every candidate properly, utilising our time. I would imagine (and hope) that the club is asking every possible coach for their plans for trade week, so that way we can take as much time as possible before October 10, rather than grab a coach and rush them into devising a strategy.

Why oh why are we looking at tried and failed coaches? Eade and Laidley I don't think are good fits for us. IMO North Melbourne’s list was not grate when Laidley left and what does that say about his recruiting? Do we want him there at the stage we're at? and Eade could win a GF even with a list he had at the dogs which everyone thought should have at least made a GF.

http://www.sportsnewsfirst.com.au/articles/2011/09/20/saints-start-search-at-eade-and-laidley/

I still think Malthouse is the best bet for us. He has shown he can both regenerate a list and then take them to a GF win.

Let's get one thing straight......

MICK MALTHOUSE WILL NOT COACH ST KILDA in 2012!!!!!

a). He is far too expensive
b). He is an ass-clown who isn't liked by anyone at the club.
====================================================
I don't recall Malthouse ever informing anyone of how much he would want to coach St Kilda. And if he has, doesn't that mean that he would consider it at the right price???

(Log in to remove this ad.)

====================================================
I don't recall Malthouse ever informing anyone of how much he would want to coach St Kilda. And if he has, doesn't that mean that he would consider it at the right price???

Blight didn't want to coach us. But he agreed to coach us for the right price. But he didnt give a shit.
We need a coach who gives a shit.

Why oh why are we looking at tried and failed coaches? Eade and Laidley I don't think are good fits for us. IMO North Melbourne’s list was not grate when Laidley left and what does that say about his recruiting? Do we want him there at the stage we're at? and Eade could win a GF even with a list he had at the dogs which everyone thought should have at least made a GF.

http://www.sportsnewsfirst.com.au/articles/2011/09/20/saints-start-search-at-eade-and-laidley/

I still think Malthouse is the best bet for us. He has shown he can both regenerate a list and then take them to a GF win.

I have read that Laidley isn't interested. I read this in a newspaper article mind you, so probably complete bollocks :D

I wouldn't mind Eade in some capacity, just not as senior coach

Kim Hagdorn wrote that so it basically means it will never ever happen......

My updated list now is, Watters, Richardson, Rob Harvey and maybe Cameron...

Apparently Burns is out of the coaching mix, both Tudor and Goodwin reportedly have no interest in senior coaching at present.....

What I'd really want to hear from any prospective coaching candidate is where footy should go next - post press. What new system (and just having great kicks like Hawthorn is not a system) will defeat the press? That's where we need to be looking.

I agree but it's filled with risk. Eade for example believed he had the system to be able to unsettle the press and as a result paid little attention to developing a press of his own. He's out on his Chaminda Vaas.

I would think the Saints would have little problem buying into a new gameplan as theý've shown the ability to do this previously. You just wonder how many palyers will be suited to such a system and if the tactic is employed is the right one.

if no appointment before Grand Final then I reckon Watters will be announced thereafter ( I reckon he is signed sealed anyway0. No way Collingwood will release him until their year is over after departure of Neeld.

if no appointment before Grand Final then I reckon Watters will be announced thereafter ( I reckon he is signed sealed anyway0. No way Collingwood will release him until their year is over after departure of Neeld.

Signed sealed this early? Not sure.

After Hearing McCartney's speech upon getting the Bulldogs gig, I couldnt help thinking , "gee he'd be good".

Most new coaches sound impressive when they first take over and tell everyone what they plan to do, the real test is when they are in the coaches box and trying to win games. Easy to talk up a good game but it's another thing delivering results.

If it is Watters, I'd be disgusted if the club let him stay where he is for the rest of the year.

Got to make it as hard as possible for the feral scum to get another one :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back