Discussion Potential Coach Replacements

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The interesting thing to note is that, a lot of these options excite me more than five more years with Ross Lyon did... even before he jumped ship.

Gee, his coaching was getting STALE this year! I think whoever we get, he'll freshen things up, which is a good thing.

What about Brendan McCartney?

Knows Geelong back-to-front after 11 years service & is know with the Bombers....

I hope we get either of Tudor, Richardson or McCartney

Then i wouldnt mind us surrounding him with Hudghton, Bob Harvey, Mark Harvey, Elshaugh & King

Im sure he's been mentioned but cant be bothered going through the 8 pages to find out, but surely Gary Ayres has to be up top of the list? Has taken Port Melbourne to a Grand Final without losing a game. Must be doing something right....

What about Brendan McCartney?

Knows Geelong back-to-front after 11 years service & is know with the Bombers....

I hope we get either of Tudor, Richardson or McCartney

Then i wouldnt mind us surrounding him with Hudghton, Bob Harvey, Mark Harvey, Elshaugh & King

They say fortune favors the brave , and it would be brave to appoint a guy has not played at the level. But he has a very similar profile to Neeld , coached Ocean Grove to flags and has had experience as AssC at Richmond , Ess and of course Geelong. He is big on hard contested ball & trusting your skill. In his time at Geelong he was a key to building their backline , guys like Scarlett, Harley , Egan all grew to be AA under his tutelage. Would have seen Geelong when it was down and doing it wrong and as it is now , in a much better situation.

So , if your after a name , then NO. It would be understandable if you went after a name. Just like Hird at Ess , I'm sure a name could invigorate some players and energize the supporters.

But you ready to be brave , If your just after a guy who will get the most out of the guys on you list with a refreshed game plan , and at the same time can bring on your younger kids at a better rate than you have had for a while then BMC is your man.

Good luck with the hunt, I truly believe you will come the better for the new voice , all the best.
TC

Ayers doesn't have the greatest record at the AFL level. But hey, people change, and his VFL record is quite impressive.

Ayres is a magnificent communicator, motivator..Understands the game to a tee. Brings the best out of the young kids.. Knows exactly where to position players to make an impact on a game. His move yesterday to put Plemming (Port Melb) from Defence to the forward line was a master stroke. He's a must get IMO (deep down I know it won't eventuate)

Ayres is a magnificent communicator, motivator..Understands the game to a tee. Brings the best out of the young kids.. Knows exactly where to position players to make an impact on a game. His move yesterday to put Plemming (Port Melb) from Defence to the forward line was a master stroke. He's a must get IMO (deep down I know it won't eventuate)

How about.... (using the Essendon mould of the inexperienced 'favourite' son & experienced head coach assistant/s)

Robert Harvey (Head Coach)
Gary Ayres (Assistant)
Alan Richardson (Assistant)
Max Hudghton (Assistant)
Stephen King (Assistant)

Maybe throw a line to Laidley, Eade or Matthews to be an assistant?

How about.... (using the Essendon mould of the inexperienced 'favourite' son & experienced head coach assistant/s)

Robert Harvey (Head Coach)
Gary Ayres (Assistant)
Alan Richardson (Assistant)
Max Hudghton (Assistant)
Stephen King (Assistant)

Maybe throw a line to Laidley, Eade or Matthews to be an assistant?

Im not sure if Banger has the same communication strength as Hird does within a large group but more suited to a one one type communcation..

Im not sure if Banger has the same communication strength as Hird does within a large group but more suited to a one one type communcation..

I agree with you completely... Im aiming that post of mine at the "Harvey backers" to get some feedback on their thoughts more for the assistant roles if Harves was to get the head coach possie, which i highly doubt he will. I personally will be happiest with Tudor or Richardson as head coach

We would be silly not to attempt to get an Ayres &/or an Eade as an assistant

(Log in to remove this ad.)

would really like to see mick malthouse coach us, we should go all out and try to bring him back to the club, his appointment will be an instant hit with the players, and he is able to get the best out of all players he has coached, lets bounce back and show the footy world we are not backing down.

would really like to see mick malthouse coach us, we should go all out and try to bring him back to the club, his appointment will be an instant hit with the players, and he is able to get the best out of all players he has coached, lets bounce back and show the footy world we are not backing down.
Yeeeaaaahhhh probably wouldn't be a big hit with Milney
147154-mick-malthouse.jpg

His move yesterday to put Plemming (Port Melb) from Defence to the forward line was a master stroke.

Pleming was getting pooped on by Ryan Houlihan! Masterstroke to get him the hell out of there before Houlihan kicked more than 3 goals?

Has anyone actually listed to Ayres?

He was one of my favourite footballers, but communication? urk

Heard him talk at a break. He'd say "Am I clear?" after every comment he made. Every one! You've only got a short time to get the message across, so 15 "Am I clears" is a bit of a waste.

But someone obviously gave him some feedback, which he took on board. The next time I heard him he said "Do you understand?" after each comment!

People are saying "geez, Valenti should get another crack". "Wow, that Lynch is a goer". "Batsanis - looks a likely type". "Sam Dwyer should be on a VFL list". "Patrick Rose - gun". "Sinclair - he's been invited to the draft camp testing". Then add former AFL players Skipper, Bentick, Fanning, McGrath, Baird, Pleming and Deluca. And experienced players like Pinwill, Cain, Galea, Brewer, McMahon and Dalton.

Then you start working out that Port have plenty of money to get more hardened players than the kids the AFL-aligned teams are throwing at them.

A lot of people are saying we're at a disadvantage being behind the other three clubs looking for coaches but I don't think we're too badly off.

With Melbourne appointing Neeld and assuming the Bulldogs appoint Leon Cameron and the Crows appoint Scott Burns that still leaves a lot of other good candidates out there. Neeld is probably the only one of those three that I would have considered.

Hopefully the club takes it's time and does it's research to find the right candidate rather than rushing into something. They chose a good candidate with Lyon last time so you would back them to do likewise this time.

Pleming was getting pooped on by Ryan Houlihan! Masterstroke to get him the hell out of there before Houlihan kicked more than 3 goals?

Has anyone actually listed to Ayres?

He was one of my favourite footballers, but communication? urk

Heard him talk at a break. He'd say "Am I clear?" after every comment he made. Every one! You've only got a short time to get the message across, so 15 "Am I clears" is a bit of a waste.

But someone obviously gave him some feedback, which he took on board. The next time I heard him he said "Do you understand?" after each comment!

People are saying "geez, Valenti should get another crack". "Wow, that Lynch is a goer". "Batsanis - looks a likely type". "Sam Dwyer should be on a VFL list". "Patrick Rose - gun". "Sinclair - he's been invited to the draft camp testing". Then add former AFL players Skipper, Bentick, Fanning, McGrath, Baird, Pleming and Deluca. And experienced players like Pinwill, Cain, Galea, Brewer, McMahon and Dalton.

Then you start working out that Port have plenty of money to get more hardened players than the kids the AFL-aligned teams are throwing at them.

Yep listened to him every week for the last 3 years... his message makes the hair on the back of your neck stand up... brilliant communicator. Great tactician. Valenti shouldn't have been de listed by the dees, never really got a shot under bailey nor did Batsanis under choco.. thas the thing with Ayres he brings the best out of the players.. he allows his players the freedom to play within their instincts, he encourages them and supports them

Yes Port do have the cash but their greatest strenght is their allignment with the Oakleigh chargers where players such as Pinwall , cain , Gilly , Nahas etc that have come thru the ranks

They say fortune favors the brave , and it would be brave to appoint a guy has not played at the level. But he has a very similar profile to Neeld , coached Ocean Grove to flags and has had experience as AssC at Richmond , Ess and of course Geelong. He is big on hard contested ball & trusting your skill. In his time at Geelong he was a key to building their backline , guys like Scarlett, Harley , Egan all grew to be AA under his tutelage. Would have seen Geelong when it was down and doing it wrong and as it is now , in a much better situation.

So , if your after a name , then NO. It would be understandable if you went after a name. Just like Hird at Ess , I'm sure a name could invigorate some players and energize the supporters.

But you ready to be brave , If your just after a guy who will get the most out of the guys on you list with a refreshed game plan , and at the same time can bring on your younger kids at a better rate than you have had for a while then BMC is your man.

Good luck with the hunt, I truly believe you will come the better for the new voice , all the best.
TC

Alot of the really good coaches weren't great players. My guess is because they had to think more about the game where more naturally talented players really just play on instinct.

I don't care if we get a name or not. No one knew who Ross Lyon was when he was appointed.

Surley you guys arn't suggesting Ayres will be considered for the job. That most definatley will not happen.

Burns will sign with Adelaide tomorrow and Cameron will sign soon after. That leaves Sanderson / McCartney / Tudor and Eade / Craig.

I don't think theres any way they will go with the recycled guys. Theres too much of a need to feel a fresh start at the club. Plus they didn't succeed at their clubs anyway.

Of the remaining candidates I really won't mind who gets the job out of Sanderson and McCartney. Tudor would be good but he's a gee/stk/syd assistant and would be too defensive in my opinion. So, no to Eade,Craig and Tudor and yes to Sanderson or McCartney.

Surley you guys arn't suggesting Ayres will be considered for the job. That most definatley will not happen.

Burns will sign with Adelaide tomorrow and Cameron will sign soon after. That leaves Sanderson / McCartney / Tudor and Eade / Craig.

I don't think theres any way they will go with the recycled guys. Theres too much of a need to feel a fresh start at the club. Plus they didn't succeed at their clubs anyway.

Of the remaining candidates I really won't mind who gets the job out of Sanderson and McCartney. Tudor would be good but he's a gee/stk/syd assistant and would be too defensive in my opinion. So, no to Eade,Craig and Tudor and yes to Sanderson or McCartney.
What about Scott Watters?

not sure if peter german has been mentioned on here def never been mentioned in the media!

He did a very good job in the WAFL coaching Subiaco to premierships, was there prior to Watters taking over. Was very highly regarded there.

Probably suffers from a lack of profile in terms of getting a senior AFL coaching position but would be worth looking at for an assistant coaching position at least.

Using the Malthouse/Milne incident as reason why we won't get Mick to coach the Saints in 2012 is poor form - as if Milne isn't big enough to get past a little white-line-fever incident from more than a year ago! And as if Malthouse is still so hurt that he would drop our best forward over such a petty incident. Isn't the first or last time either bloke will be called those things, and both men are professional enough to just get over it, so poor argument.

The real reason we won't get Malthouse is because we can't afford him! Doesn't mean we shouldn't have a crack; appeal to his ego, rather than wallet? It's an unpopular opinion, I know.

I think Tudor is too familiar with our list, and may not be ruthless enough to make the tough changes we need. I like Brenton Sanderson, and has anyone mentioned Ken Hinkley; is he a potential option?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back