Discussion Potential Coach Replacements

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, we're getting snippy with each other already, and it's not even November yet. By January I'll probably start calling Squizz a poo-poo-head.

Wow, we're getting snippy with each other already, and it's not even November yet. By January I'll probably start calling Squizz a poo-poo-head.

Oh get off your high horse Perc, gawd. :p

But nah I do it in person too so it's not snippy and a valid observation denoting psychic abilities. :thumbsu:

Dad's esky delivers.

Ayres Hope

While Port Melbourne coach Gary ayres has missed the St Kilda coaching job, he could still bob up at the club. It's understood the Saints are keen to have the former Geelong and Adelaide coach involved in a role, possibly as director of coaching.

I think i read somewhere Port Adelaide are into him as well. But Sandringham coach perhaps?

Just a thought on recycled coaches -

At the start of 2011 the only coaches with prior senior AFL coaching experience when first appointed at their clubs were Malthouse and Eade. Both were shafted by season end and replaced by rookie coaches.

In 2012 there will only be Lyon and Sheedy who have coached elsewhere at senior level. Lyon was headhunted (not sacked) and Sheedy is a PR exercise for a new club.

So should we be surprised that the likes of Ayres keeps getting overlooked ?

It seems sacked coaches are destined more and more for the scrapheap. As the science of the game continues to grow in importance, the value of assistant coaches just seems to escalate.

With those kind of figures can you really blame Lyon for striking while his market value was high, instead of waiting for the inevitable sack when the Saints slid down the ladder ? I have more trouble with the timing of Lyon's departure rather than the fact he walked in search of a better deal.

They always say there are two types of coaches, those that have been sacked and those about to be sacked.

Brad = North
Chris = Cats

@ Mad Dog, personally those of us with coaching experience at lower levels (paid coaching experience I mean) agreements with clubs are binding unless you purposely don't want them to be, and if you purposely don't want them to be you simply don't wish to be at the club for the long haul. Yes he asked, yes he got impatient and left, but you find me a grab from anyone at the club giving an incling they were "worried" about Lyons tenure at the club for the "inevitable sack" argument.

There are such things as mutual endings with regards to contractual agreements, the word faith is used, usually preceded by the word good.

I think the freaky one is inferring that because Chris has not been sacked, he must be "about to be sacked" using Mad Dog's logic.

A coach who has a 100% record is really not likely to be sacked anytime soon.

El freako is finding non-sequiturs :cool:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ST KILDA is probably only a day away from naming its new coach.
The Saints will complete a second round of interviews today with the remaining candidates - Ken Hinkley (Gold Coast), Scott Watters (Collingwood) and Alan Richardson (Carlton).
An announcement is expected tomorrow to get the new coach in place before the final flurry of trading, which will be completed on Monday and tipped to be busy for the Saints. Hinkley and Watters, who might come with former North Melbourne coach Dean Laidley as an assistant or director of coaching, appear to have favouritism but it is worth noting that media speculation has been wide of the mark with the other coaching appointments for 2012.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/saints-close-to-naming-coach-20111012-1ll86.html#ixzz1abd4cZua

ST KILDA is probably only a day away from naming its new coach.
The Saints will complete a second round of interviews today with the remaining candidates - Ken Hinkley (Gold Coast), Scott Watters (Collingwood) and Alan Richardson (Carlton).
An announcement is expected tomorrow to get the new coach in place before the final flurry of trading

I don't believe anything they say anymore unless it comes from someone at STKFC - and even then I'm skeptical :(

Oh get off your high horse Perc, gawd. :p

But nah I do it in person too so it's not snippy and a valid observation denoting psychic abilities. :thumbsu:
That's your shortest post in weeks... :p ;)

The Age article also states that Harvey is leaving. No new information, just that he is leaving.
See, that I'd find astonishing. As IF he seriously thought that he would get the head coaching job. He's got a commitment from the club that no matter who they pick, it is a condition that he remain as an assistant - not many people would get that kind of an assurance. Most coaches come in with the expectation that they can put together their own team of assistants. I find that utterly ridiculous.

See, that I'd find astonishing. As IF he seriously thought that he would get the head coaching job. He's got a commitment from the club that no matter who they pick, it is a condition that he remain as an assistant - not many people would get that kind of an assurance. Most coaches come in with the expectation that they can put together their own team of assistants. I find that utterly ridiculous.

I'd believe it , except nothing I've ever heard or read about Harvey has lead me to believe he's a precious egomaniac.

I'd believe it , except nothing I've ever heard or read about Harvey has lead me to believe he's a precious egomaniac.
EXACTLY, SS! Humblest bloke in AFL history. Dedicated servant of the club. And the club has been pretty darn good to him, here.

As far as I'm aware the interviews were merely meant to last this week with next being tasting and judgment, err, deliberations.

So I'd assume tomorrow / Saturday would be the final presentation / interviews if they're going for next week as the decision time.
lol, points for the Iron Chef reference...

And now, the moment of truth... :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back