Discussion Potential Coach Replacements

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Article in the age today saying we could be prepared to name our coach as soon as tommorow so they can get in on trade deliberations, iirc it mentioned that final interviews will happen today sometime.

Would be funny if it was AR, you wouldn't even know he applied.

Perhaps I have been following this mob for too long, but if 35 decides that his interests are best served by leaving, then I'm cool with that.

Romatically, sure I'd like to see him stay, but you'd think that our next coach will be there for 3 to 5 years and maybe Rob wants a senior gig sooner.

I'd hate to see him as senior coach for another AFL side, but timing is everything... sadly.

It appears that the club's priorities and Rob's expectations are currently not aligned.

Thanks Ross! Could've stayed a few more years and had a succession plan.

And they still taste better
Remember the quad?

20080903-Critics_Bite_at_Hungry_Jacks_2.jpg

He's also contracted, and would be leaving for what is effectively the same job at another club.

I'd believe it , except nothing I've ever heard or read about Harvey has lead me to believe he's a precious egomaniac.

Harvey had been talking with Armo about a full time role in the midfield next year. Harvey is the current midfield assistant coach. I don't see this changing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Allan Richardson seems to be the red hot tip after today.. Must say i like the underdog story cos you know that he has been super impressive to get this far cos he hasnt had the media and his old club talk him up like he's best thing since sliced bread!!!

Could this be a troubling sign though? Why aren't Carlton speaking him up like the other clubs are?

Ross Lyon wasnt talked up. Sanderson & the Bulldogs bloke werent talked up this year (namely cos noone gave them a shot cos the "experts" thought Cameron & Burns had it in the bag)

I honestly think it means they really really want him to stay cos he is that good. You dont want your opposition to get any kind of advantage. Ive always thought the less a club talks up their own coaches the better they must be.

Maybe they're desperate to keep him?

Liked the sound of Watters and Hinkley but I admit i don't know much about AR.

Richardson (there are 2 actually, one played Richmond, it's not him) played Collingwood '87-96 and after footy coached;

Burwood East ('99 & '00 EFL premiers)
Coburg ('01-'02)

Assistant at;
Western Bulldogs ('03-'05)
Collingwood ('06-07) (development manager)
Essendon ('08-'10)
Carlton ('11-present)

Might be off some of the start dates by 1, but you get the general picture.

Richardson (there are 2 actually, one played Richmond, it's not him) played Collingwood '87-96 and after footy coached;

Burwood East ('99 & '00 EFL premiers)
Coburg ('01-'02)

Assistant at;
Western Bulldogs ('03-'05)
Collingwood ('06-07) (development manager)
Essendon ('08-'10)
Carlton ('11-present)

Might be off some of the start dates by 1, but you get the general picture.

Hmmm left Collingwood just before they became good at developing young players.
Essendon 08-10 ( maybe forgot to give some good advice to knights.
Carlton - Wonder what Harvey thinks of him.

He's probably really good, my wife always tells me I'm a negative prick.

My 'sources' tell me that the deal is done and will be announced either tomorrow arvo or Saturday morning, just waiting to confirm a couple of assistants, the bastards won't tell me who it is though!

Thanks for that straight forward run down Fly. ;)

Seems development is his 'thing'. God damn do we need some of that.

“Alan has built up a considerable reputation for his work with young footballers through his time at both Collingwood, leading their player development program, and the Western Bulldogs as assistant coach/development coach,” Auld said.
“Alan is known as a quality person who will bring with him some fantastic experience that is particularly relevant to where our list is at.

http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/news.asp?nid=6082

Richardson, now an assistant coach at Essendon after working at Collingwood and the Western Bulldogs, has declared himself "right to go" as a senior AFL coach.

His sales pitch is about building a program at Alberton where the coach will be compelled to rebuild a club, not just a football team.

"It is about a program, about people and getting the right people in place," said Richardson. "I'm pretty big on that."

"Some clubs," said Richardson of the process in hiring coaches, "will need someone with a high profile to be able to do more than just coach the team.

"Not many of the clubs will be aware that if you don't win (games) then no matter how marketable the coach is, then you are not going to get the supporters anyway."

North Melbourne premiership player and former Richmond assistant coach David King says the Power's successful candidate will stand out by "a point of difference".

A regular at AFL coaching seminars, King notes: "Alan's is development - and that is a great one to have; one he has built up over a 10-year apprenticeship. He has a jump on the rest (of the field)."

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...-alan-richardson/story-e6freco3-1225903205057

For Brian Taylor, a former Collingwood teammate of Richardson, the answer is an emphatic yes.

"He is probably the best teacher of football in Australia," Taylor said yesterday. "He is so highly regarded. He is ready and raring to go.

"Of all the assistants going around, he is at the top of the tree. He has done his apprenticeship."

The message from former colleagues is consistent: Honest, hard-working . . . the type of bloke you would want your daughter to marry.

It is that clean-living attitude that rubs off on his coaching.

Sources said Richardson was not the type to tolerate loose, erratic off-field behaviour.

As a senior coach, he would probably be just as blunt on other matters.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...don-coaching-job/story-e6frf9jf-1225912117069

Got down to the last 2 for the Port job, but withdrew to hunt down the Essendon job.

Interesting to note he has kept a very very low profile compared to his other attempts.

Whoever they select, at least they have gone through a proper process and we won't see another Blight or Thomas approach to recruiting a coach.

In the end, the proof will be in the pudding - in the hot seat.

Probably the shot in the arm the club needed after this year. Lyon's departure could well be a blessing.

Time will tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back