Discussion Potential Coach Replacements

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's not exactly enthralling me. None of the places he's been an assistant have won a premiership while he was there, from what I can see. He never won a premiership with Collingwood. How's he going to take us one better than Lyon did, twice?

In peace I come.

You guys have got a beauty in Richardson. No doubt about it. One of the top assistant coaches in the league.

I can also tell you right now that Gavin Brown will also jump ship and join your coaching panel with his good mate Richo.

With Carlton or to be with you? Brown did our Backline this year. Our backline came a long way in 12 months too. I don't exactly know the position in which he will take up I just know he will definitely come over. I think it will be as the senior assistant, though.
When will the two announcements be made?

I've been tipping a Watters-Hinkley quinella for three weeks and still see no reason to change. Reckon its a real flip of the coin but forced to choose I'll go Watters. Experience in 5 consecutive grand finals is hard to ignore. I think he'll be named tomorrow arvo.

Since when is winning a flag as an assistant a prerequisite to be senior coach?

Did Bailey win a flag with Port? What about Laidley?

Purely subjective argument.

He's not exactly enthralling me. None of the places he's been an assistant have won a premiership while he was there, from what I can see. He never won a premiership with Collingwood. How's he going to take us one better than Lyon did, twice?

I think all 3 would make great coaches, even Richardson who was the one people thought was least qualified to take the job but if you have a look at his credentials they speak for themselves.

Alan Richardson
Senior Assistant Coach
Playing Career:
1987 - 1996
114 games (Collingwood)
Coaching Career:
Assistant Coach (Western Bulldogs)
2006 - 2008
Player Development Coach (Collingwood)
2009 - 2010
Assistant Coach (Essendon)

Note he was an Assistant under Rodney Eade during 06-08 when they were very successful and 09-10 under Mick as a development coach when they really burst on the scene.

Hinkly and Watters resume in comparison are very good too so what ever happens tomorrow, we win, we will have an excellent new coach to go with a fantastic head of operations/recruiting manager in Pelchin. I can't help but be excited about the clubs near future plans.

Hold those cheeseburgers.

robbo_heraldsun mark robinson
news; saints have not made a decision so hold your horses everyone.

News?

As far as I'm aware the interviews were merely meant to last this week with next being tasting and judgment, err, deliberations.

So I'd assume tomorrow / Saturday would be the final presentation / interviews if they're going for next week as the decision time.

FFS robbo you twat it's called common bloody sense if you know how a board room set up works. People generally work to a schedule, more people = more conflicting times to meet. Herp de derp herp.

The only place that is reporting this is AFL Rumours.

http://www.aflrumours.com.au/

I'm not sure how reliable this site is but it seems people are going only on the say so of a rumour site. I still hold hope that Hinkley will get the job and I suppose Watters will be OK too. I really didn't want Richardson to get it but I am slowly and I mean slowly warming to him if it is him who gets the gig. But again I still think Hinkley has the better resume going off the AFL Coaches Association profile site.

http://www.aflrumours.com.au/

I think that site has just taken the left field pick and hoping they get it right so they can later claim that they tipped this, and that they're credible etc. Bit of an attempt to garner readership. Could still be correct, but i don't really believe they actually have a source.

Robbo_heraldsun Mark Robinson

to clarify, no decision on coach as yet. Richardson may get it, but a 2nd iv to go with 1 of the applicants. AS for BJ, he's staying

:eek::eek:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like Robbo, but he literally couldn't have been more wrong with the whole Lyon thing so we can take that with a grain of salt.

busey_clapping.gif

Never said it was a pre-requisite. But it is a factor. There are lots of factors. And this is all subjective, friend. We're dealing with people, and a complex role that involves many factors - some of us will emphasise some of those factors over others, for a whole host of reasons. I, for one, think that having some experience as sucessfully performing in a Grand Final might be useful for a team that is seeking to sucessfully perform in a Grand Final.

Richardson's development focus seems to imply that we need to start focussing on development - basically, a rebuild. His emphasis on "the whole organisation needs to be fixed by the coach" reeks to me of an autocratic regime, not unlike GT.

If he's hired, I'll be more than willing to trust the board, and see how it goes. But right now, I have every right, should I wish, subjectively, to be a little nervous about such an appointment, when you've got another option who's been through 5 GFs and won a fair few of them.

I don't think Ratten can coach at all and I reckon the arrival of Richardson and Brown at Carlton was the reason for their improved fortunes this year. I would be hoping that if they were to join us they would have a similar effect on the group

Sorry VDS, but Bailey was a disaster, Laidley was a semi-disaster...

@RalphyHeraldSun Jon Ralph
Saints still interviewing candidates tonight so silly to think anyone has the job. Richardson great in first int. but 2nd interview the key

I reckon all three would make good coaches. what I'm more interested in is who will assist them; is Laidley a chance, how about Max is he a chance to come home, is Harvey going to stay. Any thoughts on assistants?

I take your views on board, but just don't agree with them.

I don't think we are ready for a rebuild and stil have 2 years left with our senior core. On that basis, I don't think they'd hire someone purely to rebuild.

The cub will no doubt select the candidate who best fits in with where they want to go.

BAsed on your logic, then we should select either Ayres, Malthouse or Williams as they are the most qualified at winning grand finals.

Like it or not, culture and success is driven from the top (coach) and the players taking ownership as well. This is what we had under Lyon as well as GT. The difference is that Lyon knew what he was doing.

And finally, friend, as subjective as this may seem. Neither you nor I know the slightest about each candidate, so and opinions we make are purely subjective.

:D

Never said it was a pre-requisite. But it is a factor. There are lots of factors. And this is all subjective, friend. We're dealing with people, and a complex role that involves many factors - some of us will emphasise some of those factors over others, for a whole host of reasons. I, for one, think that having some experience as sucessfully performing in a Grand Final might be useful for a team that is seeking to sucessfully perform in a Grand Final.

Richardson's development focus seems to imply that we need to start focussing on development - basically, a rebuild. His emphasis on "the whole organisation needs to be fixed by the coach" reeks to me of an autocratic regime, not unlike GT.

If he's hired, I'll be more than willing to trust the board, and see how it goes. But right now, I have every right, should I wish, subjectively, to be a little nervous about such an appointment, when you've got another option who's been through 5 GFs and won a fair few of them.

Like I said, VDS66, it's a factor. Yes, Ayers, Malthouse and Williams have an advantage in THAT specific factor - but that isn't the ONLY one. In other factors - fresh ideas, for example - they are severely lacking.

And you're right, I don't know MUCH, and neither do you. But what we do know, such as basic stats, is enough for us to have an opinion, and to discuss it on a public footy forum. If they pick him, like I said, I trust the board, precisely for the reason you've just identified - they have more info than you or I.

Glad we agree on so much, even as we disagree. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back