Discussion Potential Coach Replacements

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The club would be stupid to ditch Archer who is quick for his size and seems to be holding up well at full back (when Walsh was moved into the ruck and forward).

Isn't one grab enough with his marking to make it as a forward at this stage. He's a long kick though and has courage and the ability to run games out.
And he has the size to compete with the bigger bodies.

Thinking Armo might have left this year. Important that we resign him. What a horrible time to be going to the draft to get players. The next two drafts at least are compromised with GWS and defered picks from clubs who lost players to the new clubs. I hope Pelican is as good as they and he can get some talent from the back end of the draft

Thinking Armo might have left this year. Important that we resign him. What a horrible time to be going to the draft to get players. The next two drafts at least are compromised with GWS and defered picks from clubs who lost players to the new clubs. I hope Pelican is as good as they and he can get some talent from the back end of the draft
At least we know our recruiter is good now, Sippo pick 75

Archer is nothing special all-up, but he tries hard, works hard and has a great set of hands. If he loses a bit of weight he can be a player. I don't know why people are sinking the boots into him out of all the young players on our list.

Elshaug is actually in charge of recruiting, ( since last december ) with Pelchen now his boss I think.

Maybe Westaway doesnt like spending too much time on mundane matters of football and wanted someone in between.

My next comment hurts to write & i reckon im gonna be crucified as it is so "Un-StKilda", but.....

I think Rob Harvey is rubbish as midfield coach. Our midfield was terrible this year (i know Lenny being out didnt help) & when he was at Carlton last yr, theirs wasnt functioning that great & yet with a new midfield coach this year it's outstanding!!!

Just because you were a gun player, doesnt mean you will be an awesome coach... Tim Watson anyone???

Maybe he needs more time or maybe he's not really up to it.... Thoughts?

I would prefer King to be the interim coach or even Elshaugh over Bob

My next comment hurts to write & i reckon im gonna be crucified as it is so "Un-StKilda", but.....

I think Rob Harvey is rubbish as midfield coach. Our midfield was terrible this year (i know Lenny being out didnt help) & when he was at Carlton last yr, theirs wasnt functioning that great & yet with a new midfield coach this year it's outstanding!!!

Just because you were a gun player, doesnt mean you will be an awesome coach... Tim Watson anyone???

It's true, he's a rubbish coach that's why he was sacked by Carlton

I'm of the opinion that Harvs is nowhere near ready as a head coach. Is a competitive person at heart but that can only get you so far as he simply does not have the "group" around him to rely upon, does not have the background info on just how much work a head coach does and when. He will be up to it if that is what he wants to do as he does have the traits for it, but it is vastly too soon for mine to appoint him in anything but a temp role.

Who knows the best wat to recruit for any job is to see them do the job. it is very difficult to judge how people will perform without seeing them do it IE play or coach an AFL side. it is very difficult to judge harvey's performance when I suspect you had Ross micromanaging over the top.

I would prefer King to be the interim coach or even Elshaugh over
Bob

Agreed.Great player but thats it. I wasn't happy with him returning to the club in any football capacity. Basically he has bad Karma when it comes to the ultimate prize. But certainly want him in an admin role, say like Cowboy and around the club, as he is a truly great Saint.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Neeld goes and we take Richardson, could make life hard for Buckley in his first year

And the problem is? :confused::thumbsu:

(Except Richardson went to Carlton this year, and was previously at Essendon before that, and was at Collingwood a while back now, I think.)

And the problem is? :confused::thumbsu:

(Except Richardson went to Carlton this year, and was previously at Essendon before that, and was at Collingwood a while back now, I think.)
Damn, got my hopes up for a second there.

No problem at all, just a thought

It's true, he's a rubbish coach that's why he was sacked by Carlton

So because Harvey's contract was not renewed - he is a rubbish coach.....:eek:
Carlton also released Teague, Montgomery and Lappin - where are they now, were they discarded to the scrapheap?

Harvey went to last year's runner up
Teague is asst coach at WCE
Montgomery was in the mix for the Port job and is asst at WB
Lappin went to last year's premiers

Every year there is a merry go round of assistants changing clubs, some of these guys like Barker, Montgomery, Richardson and Wellman are quite young, yet have been to 3 clubs at least..
Go figure

Carlton also released Teague, Montgomery and Lappin - where are they now, were they discarded to the scrapheap?

Every year there is a merry go round of assistants changing clubs, some of these guys like Barker, Montgomery, Richardson and Wellman are quite young, yet have been to 3 clubs at least..
Go figure
So you think Harvey is a good midfield coach then?

Go figure
FYI Teague wasn't released by Carlton , he held a part time role as coach of Carlton's VFL affiliate Northern Bullant's and sought a full time coaching role and has excelled at WC !
Get Richardson !

FYI Teague wasn't released by Carlton , he held a part time role as coach of Carlton's VFL affiliate Northern Bullant's and sought a full time coaching role and has excelled at WC !
Get Richardson !

Well there you go, thanks for clearing that up - I knew he wasn't discarded to the footy scrap heap, just because Carlton reviewed their coaching panel.....:thumbsu:

Yes I reckon Richardson would be a great choice as coach.

So you think Harvey is a good midfield coach then?

That's a tough one to answer unless you're in the inner sanctum. Harvey along with King are the midfield coaches. When the mids are down, I can't always tell if it's a coaching, ability or confidence issue.

The mids were always going to have a hard time when Hayes went down early. In the second half of the season, when Steven spent more time on the ball - I thought they could have rotated Armitage thru the center more to add that hard edge.

While I have heaps of time for McEvoy, quite often they were beaten in the hitouts to advantage, so you're not going to win the clearances.

In short, I reckon not many ex players would know more about how to play midfield than him, and the players would dwell on every word....

Spud could be keen ?? In some capacity if not head coach ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back