Discussion Potential Coach Replacements

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who knows the best wat to recruit for any job is to see them do the job. it is very difficult to judge how people will perform without seeing them do it IE play or coach an AFL side. it is very difficult to judge harvey's performance when I suspect you had Ross micromanaging over the top.

I have it from the mouth of a listed player that Harvey is "too quiet" to be a *senior coach & "doesnt say much"..... Knowing what Bob is like, thats him to a tee & not something wearing on him by Ross Lyon

Is Brian Royal going to apply?
He was a staple 5-7 years ago to every vacant possie.
Seriously, what we need is an attacking coach who is prepared to sacrifice a year or two of development time to have another crack at the cup.
Whether they've won one before or not isn't an issue, what's important is they understand the English translation of our motto, especially the word loyalty!
Ro$$ Lyin' said he never used the word when conversing to the players, apparently he always spoke in Latin when referring to that!

Is Brian Royal going to apply?
He was a staple 5-7 years ago to every vacant possie.
Seriously, what we need is an attacking coach who is prepared to sacrifice a year or two of development time to have another crack at the cup.
Whether they've won one before or not isn't an issue, what's important is they understand the English translation of our motto, especially the word loyalty!
Ro$$ Lyin' said he never used the word when conversing to the players, apparently he always spoke in Latin when referring to that!
Leigh Tudor

Time we bite the bullet and go for Malthouse! He is the best coach out there, plays the press so only needs to fine tune with our players who have been playing the press for a few years. Develops young players better than anybody and brings out the best of anybody. He is a proven premiership coach and it would be a double wammy for Colloingwood who have been all over us for the past 2 years. If the club feels we still have a chance at a flag while our top liners are there, its gotta be Malthouse. We need to move on from the Malthouse Milne incident and do whats best for the club and IMO Malthouse is the man!

Time we bite the bullet and go for Malthouse! He is the best coach out there, plays the press so only needs to fine tune with our players who have been playing the press for a few years. Develops young players better than anybody and brings out the best of anybody. He is a proven premiership coach and it would be a double wammy for Colloingwood who have been all over us for the past 2 years. If the club feels we still have a chance at a flag while our top liners are there, its gotta be Malthouse. We need to move on from the Malthouse Milne incident and do whats best for the club and IMO Malthouse is the man!
Nettlefold already said we aren't going for him.

Nettlefold already said we aren't going for him.

Do you seriously believe that we arent going to approach contracted coaches.. After what just happened to us. He isnt exactly going to come out and show their hand when there is 3 other clubs looking for a coach aswell..... Mark it down they have/will speak to Malthouse :thumbsu:

is nettlefold saying that st kilda arent going to go after malthouse true? will he actually not seek him out or is it just a ruse?

if they do seek malthouse, what are the chances that we will come to st kilda tho

I believe the club when they say there is more than enough talent out there to get a good coach without going for anyone under contract (excepting assistant coaches who are normally released if they get a senior role).

No Malthouse, no Williams (GWS have stated they will hold him to his 3 year deal).

In any case, I do not want us to do a rat's tossbag and go after someone who wants a big payday.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Major difficulty is we're coming to the party late. I don't like Malthouse, but he'd be a great pick-up. Not struck by any of the sacked coaches, definitely go for one of the assistants-in-waiting. Tudor, Richardson and Hinkley would be the front runners, others worth sounding out should include Burns, SOS and Watters

Noddy Sheahan's proving clueless as ever suggesting Eade is a 'perfect fit'

Not Sir Robert, not now, not yet.

My top three would be

1) Paul Roos
2) Leigh Matthews
3) Leigh Tudor

but that doesn't mean there aren't better coaches - I just am not in a position to know any better

Because the first thing that we need now is to state that yes we will look at Malthouse and have Eddie threatening to sue the pants off us like he has responded to every other attempt to poach Malthouse from Collingwood and ruin his "dream team" panel. I mean what's one more club being wrangled in and engaging in a pissing contest in the public eye currently right?

It would be entirely slack, given the team to find a coach hasn't even been fully formed yet (I hear they're waiting on coloured tights and giant robots) if they did not canvass everyone and anyone who were interested in the position now available. Yes it included Malthouse, any contracted coach with a get out clause, currently in negotiations and etc, but who needs to know that? I've got faith that they'll get a bloke who wants to be there, who will be a good competent coach (hard to say great) who will look to surpass where the club recently is at on field.

I mean the Lyon decision almost ended up a genius move for a coach. Back them in to get the job done.

My top three would be

1) Paul Roos
2) Leigh Matthews
3) Leigh Tudor

but that doesn't mean there aren't better coaches - I just am not in a position to know any better

Me too Kildonan. I wouldn't know any better either.

I think there should only be a few pre-requisites for a replacement. In order of priority:

1) Someone young
2) Someone who the players will respect
3) Someone with the respect of all around the club
4) Someone who can run a business
5) Someone familiar with the local area (preferably born & played at our new base)
6) Someone who has been a captain at their club and won a few brownlows
7) Someone who will show determination and played like a winner
8) Someone who has bled for the red, white and black

This bloke might do

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Robert_Harvey's_final_match.JPG

Sportsbet odds for next senior coach off StKilda

Robert Harvey - 3.00
Rodney Eade - 3.25
Scott Burns - 7.00
Mark Harvey - 7.00
Stephen Silvagni - 10.00
Michael Malthouse - 12.00
Mark Williams - 21.00
Neil Craig - 21.00
Brenton Sanderson - 21.00
Alan Richardson - 21.00
Mark Neeld - 21.00
Peter German - 21.00
Simon Goodwin - 31.00
Dean Laidley - 41.00
Paul Roos 41.00
Ken Hinkley - 41.00
Leon Cameron - 41.00
Paul Williams - 41.00
Peter Berbakov - 41.00
Scott West - 41.00
Grant Thomas - 41.00

Robert Harvey - 3.00
Rodney Eade - 3.25
Scott Burns - 7.00
Mark Harvey - 7.00
Stephen Silvagni - 10.00
Mark Williams - 21.00
Neil Craig - 21.00
Alan Richardson - 21.00
Mark Neeld - 21.00
Peter German - 21.00
Simon Goodwin - 31.00
Dean Laidley - 41.00
Paul Roos 41.00
Ken Hinkley - 41.00
Leon Cameron - 41.00
Paul Williams - 41.00
Peter Berbakov - 41.00
Scott West - 41.00
Grant Thomas - 41.00

I like those two. I don't know how realistic they are. Be good though.

Robert Harvey - 3.00
Rodney Eade - 3.25
Scott Burns - 7.00
Mark Harvey - 7.00
Stephen Silvagni - 10.00
Mark Williams - 21.00
Neil Craig - 21.00
Alan Richardson - 21.00
Mark Neeld - 21.00
Peter German - 21.00
Simon Goodwin - 31.00
Dean Laidley - 41.00
Paul Roos 41.00
Ken Hinkley - 41.00
Leon Cameron - 41.00
Paul Williams - 41.00
Peter Berbakov - 41.00
Scott West - 41.00
Grant Thomas - 41.00
Mark Neeld and Grant Thomas are better odds than Leigh Tudor?

Just as a side note:

Whichever of you mentioned Brian Royal.

Let me clue you in.

Who was Melbourne's defensive coach in 2011?
Which side conceded the second-highest losing margin as well as the second-biggest loss in AFL history?

If you take Brian Royal you'll be a laughing stock. Half of us over on the MFC board are hoping that he isn't an assistant next year.

Also, on those odds: Mark Neeld $21 after joining MFC today?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back