Potential Draftee Watch - Version 2008

Remove this Banner Ad

Im thinking if Geelong trade Primsall to Melbourne for P.P17 and Corey to W.C for P.P18
then
16- Johnstone
17- Heyne
18- Vickery

+Ranga

SWEET

Im thinking if Geelong trade Primsall to Melbourne for P.P17 and Corey to W.C for P.P18
then
16- Johnstone
17- Heyne
18- Vickery

+Ranga

SWEET
if BP is worth 17, corey is worth heaps more easily pick 10 or lower.

he won't go though

Not a chance we would trade both Corey AND Prismall. If Corey decides to go home then there is no reason for Prismall to move. Prismall may however move if Corey stays and he feels that he is lacking opportunity.

It appears a chance we may lose one or the other. Hopefully it is with a second flag in the bag!!

If we were to attain a pick for either player I think it would be in the late first round range for Corey and early seacon round range for Pris. I can't see clubs being prepared to offer any more than that for this draft, a good one, and one before the GC and WS plundered drafts.

A Heyne/Sidebottom plus Vickery/Lisle/Johnstone result would be good but probably a little ambitious. One midfielder and one tall though. With Ranga it would be a nice draft. Don't mind Luke Stanton for a late pick too.

Johnston is an interesting one for mine.

Bottom ager so there is a lot of upside. Clearly can play and there is no doubt he has a certain "something".

However, Geelong has Mooney, Lonergan, Hawkins, S. Simpson, S. Johnson and now, possibly, Nathan Ablett all looking for spots up foward.

I guess Lonergan can go back if N. Ablett decides that he does want to play AFL again but do we need another guy to throw in there?

Personally, I wouldn't be using Geelong's first selection on Johnson (if he is available) because I just can't make the space for him and there is too pressing a need down back in the coming years.

If Geelong only has the one pick inside the top 30 I really believe it would be in the club's interest to go for a key backman.

If the choice was between Johnston or Lisle/Trengove I think I'd be going for either Lisle or Trengove.

If by some freak occurance Hurley drops down to Geelong then I'd snap him up.

Probably just confirms my initial thinking, Geelong should look to trade Prismall to get another pick inside the top 30.

Would there be any chance that Brynes would bring a pick in the late 20s early 30s??

Johnson is an interesting one for mine.

Bottom ager so there is a lot of upside. Clearly can play and there is no doubt he has a certain "something".

However, Geelong has Mooney, Lonergan, Hawkins, S. Simpson, S. Johnson and now, possibly, Nathan Ablett all looking for spots up foward.

I guess Lonergan can go back if N. Ablett decides that he does want to play AFL again but do we need another guy to throw in there?

Personally, I wouldn't be using Geelong's first selection on Johnson (if he is available) because I just can't make the space for him and there is too pressing a need down back in the coming years.

If Geelong only has the one pick inside the top 30 I really believe it would be in the club's interest to go for a key backman.

If the choice was between Johnson or Lisle/Trengove I think I'd be going for either Lisle or Trengove.

If by some freak occurance Hurley drops down to Geelong then I'd snap him up.

Probably just confirms my initial thinking, Geelong should look to trade Prismall to get another pick inside the top 30.

Would there be any chance that Brynes would bring a pick in the late 20s early 30s??

In a word - no

How mobile is Trengove in comparison to Lisle? Is he CHB material or more a mobile ruckman type? Decision-making? Marking and kicking?

If we were to attain a pick for either player I think it would be in the late first round range for Corey and early seacon round range for Pris. I can't see clubs being prepared to offer any more than that for this draft, a good one, and one before the GC and WS plundered drafts.

That's essentially what value I have on them. Remember of today's game there is still Kelly to come in, Davenport's been dominating reserves, DJ should be ready soon (will be a player) and Varcoe's looking better in the midfield, possibly permanently so there's Gamble as well. We could sacrifice Prismall and Corey to ensure a long term success (dynasty.)
Loss Prismall for Heyne
Lose Corey for Johnson
Gain Trengrove/Lisle
Gain Ranga

2010 Team

Hunt Egan Scarlett
Mackie Trengrove Enright
Ranga Bartel Varcoe
SJohnson Hawkins Gamble
NAblett Johnson Chapman

Blake Ablett Selwood

+ All the Reserves We could dominate Forever

Are you stealing my material?:)

No I tried to quote. Didn't Work sorry. U said that the players in questions were worth a certain amount in response to the value I placed but I placed a similar value on them.

In a word - no

How mobile is Trengove in comparison to Lisle? Is he CHB material or more a mobile ruckman type? Decision-making? Marking and kicking?

You know - I think I already knew what the answer was to my Byrnes question :D

But football clubs do funny things at times.

Honestly, I throw up Trengove based purely on word-of-mouth and the fact that I think he would be available around Geelong's first pick.

The wraps are good but I'd reserve judgement until I actually saw him.

Lisle would be the guy I'd go for if it was a choice between the two though. Mainly because I have seen Lisle.

Lisle has more size about him and I think he is more what Geelong needs in a KP backman (keeping in mind I would be drafting with a view of developing rather than playing right away).

That's essentially what value I have on them. Remember of today's game there is still Kelly to come in, Davenport's been dominating reserves, DJ should be ready soon (will be a player) and Varcoe's looking better in the midfield, possibly permanently so there's Gamble as well. We could sacrifice Prismall and Corey to ensure a long term success (dynasty.)
Loss Prismall for Heyne
Lose Corey for Johnson
Gain Trengrove/Lisle
Gain Ranga

2010 Team

Hunt Egan Scarlett
Mackie Trengrove Enright
Ranga Bartel Varcoe
SJohnson Hawkins Gamble
NAblett Johnson Chapman

Blake Ablett Selwood

+ All the Reserves We could dominate Forever

Where's Harry Taylor:eek::D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watched the Vic Metro V WA game again over the weekend.

Is it just me or does Ash Smith look alright? I thought he did a few nice things and looked very clean.

Haven't seen anything of him other than that game but after watching again I was liking what I saw.

Did a bit of a search and discovered he started out as a defender (moved like a mid from what I saw) which might suit the Cats.

Hasn't had too much fanfare from what I can see but look pretty solid and has a bit of polish.

Isn't better than Broadbent though ;)

I reckon Byrnes could easily warrant a pick in the late 20s / early 30s (and personally I would love to see us do the trade!). Remember he was considered good enough to get a run in our all-conquering premiership side last year ahead of a few others including Prismall and Varcoe, and he's only 24 so plenty of career left.

As for who we should be looking for in the draft? I don't know the young'uns as well as a few of you lot, so I'm going to take a list perspective instead and leave you to suggest the kids we should draft to fill the holes.

Key forwards: Mooney is 28, and the only one who will retire in the foreseeable future. Counting Lonergan as in the best 22 already, to replace Mooney we have Hawkins, S Simpson and maybe N Ablett. Although Hawkins and Simpson both look pretty good, it wouldn't be a bad approach to grab another one if N Ablett doesn't make it back, particularly as there are apparently some very good ones in the draft this year.

Small forwards: Dog just turned 25 so has a long way to go, and then we have Varcoe, Stokes, Gamble, Byrnes, Davenport (goalkicking midfielder) and Hogan who are all younger than that, plus Gaz and Chappy both like to rest forward. Plenty of cover there I think.

Midfield: No worries. Ling and Wojcinski are our oldest at 27, all the rest are 26yo or younger, so provided we can keep them together we should have the same midfield for the next 3-4 years. We also have Prismall, Davenport, Djerrkura, Hogan and Moles running around in the VFL (and Tenace as well, although I suspect he will go at the end of this year). Add Ranga to that, and the likelihood that Stokes, Gamble and Varcoe will play more in the midfield in coming years, and I think our coverage is very good.

Ruck: Last year we were short, but we have five now. Otto probably only has 3 years left at best, but Blake, West, Mumford and D Simpson are all 22yo or younger and yet to reach their peak, and all look to have a fair bit to offer. No need to get any more rucks right now.

Small/medium defenders: Hunt, Rooke, Enright and Mackie are all well established and are 26, 26, 26 and 23 respectively, so no probs there (other than that Rooke and Enright play a lot in the midfield these days). But Milburn and Harley are our oldest two players and we will need to replace both of them within 2-3 years. Taylor, Bedford, Donohue and Laidler look like reasonable coverage, and I think Djerrkura could also be an excellent small defender on his path to the senior midfield. (I'm not including DJ because I think his days are numbered.) Could potentially do with another one?

Key defenders: Scarlett is 29, and probably has 3 years left, which means now is the perfect time to draft a replacement. Egan has only just turned 25, and although he probably has a bit of a cloud over him I would be very surprised if he didn't come back a good player again. So backups right now for Scarlett are McKenna and Kangars, both of whom are project players. Both could turn out very good, but very difficult to say right now. Maybe a bit of insurance would be warranted here? The other possibility is Lonergan, who until the last month or so I rated as a better defender than forward, but he's looking much more like a forward now.

Overall, I think our coverage is pretty good across the whole ground, so there are no screamingly urgent needs. I would say that if anything, a key/medium defender should be top of our shopping list as extra insurance for the coming losses of Milburn, Harley and Scarlett, although I do think we drafted fairly well to cover those losses last year. I would also be happy to see another key forward, especially if N Ablett doesn't come back and/or the club sees Lonergan's long term future in the backline rather than up forward.

Thoughts?

I reckon Byrnes could easily warrant a pick in the late 20s / early 30s (and personally I would love to see us do the trade!). Remember he was considered good enough to get a run in our all-conquering premiership side last year ahead of a few others including Prismall and Varcoe, and he's only 24 so plenty of career left.

As for who we should be looking for in the draft? I don't know the young'uns as well as a few of you lot, so I'm going to take a list perspective instead and leave you to suggest the kids we should draft to fill the holes.

Key forwards: Mooney is 28, and the only one who will retire in the foreseeable future. Counting Lonergan as in the best 22 already, to replace Mooney we have Hawkins, S Simpson and maybe N Ablett. Although Hawkins and Simpson both look pretty good, it wouldn't be a bad approach to grab another one if N Ablett doesn't make it back, particularly as there are apparently some very good ones in the draft this year.

Small forwards: Dog just turned 25 so has a long way to go, and then we have Varcoe, Stokes, Gamble, Byrnes, Davenport (goalkicking midfielder) and Hogan who are all younger than that, plus Gaz and Chappy both like to rest forward. Plenty of cover there I think.

Midfield: No worries. Ling and Wojcinski are our oldest at 27, all the rest are 26yo or younger, so provided we can keep them together we should have the same midfield for the next 3-4 years. We also have Prismall, Davenport, Djerrkura, Hogan and Moles running around in the VFL (and Tenace as well, although I suspect he will go at the end of this year). Add Ranga to that, and the likelihood that Stokes, Gamble and Varcoe will play more in the midfield in coming years, and I think our coverage is very good.

Ruck: Last year we were short, but we have five now. Otto probably only has 3 years left at best, but Blake, West, Mumford and D Simpson are all 22yo or younger and yet to reach their peak, and all look to have a fair bit to offer. No need to get any more rucks right now.

Small/medium defenders: Hunt, Rooke, Enright and Mackie are all well established and are 26, 26, 26 and 23 respectively, so no probs there (other than that Rooke and Enright play a lot in the midfield these days). But Milburn and Harley are our oldest two players and we will need to replace both of them within 2-3 years. Taylor, Bedford, Donohue and Laidler look like reasonable coverage, and I think Djerrkura could also be an excellent small defender on his path to the senior midfield. (I'm not including DJ because I think his days are numbered.) Could potentially do with another one?

Key defenders: Scarlett is 29, and probably has 3 years left, which means now is the perfect time to draft a replacement. Egan has only just turned 25, and although he probably has a bit of a cloud over him I would be very surprised if he didn't come back a good player again. So backups right now for Scarlett are McKenna and Kangars, both of whom are project players. Both could turn out very good, but very difficult to say right now. Maybe a bit of insurance would be warranted here? The other possibility is Lonergan, who until the last month or so I rated as a better defender than forward, but he's looking much more like a forward now.

Overall, I think our coverage is pretty good across the whole ground, so there are no screamingly urgent needs. I would say that if anything, a key/medium defender should be top of our shopping list as extra insurance for the coming losses of Milburn, Harley and Scarlett, although I do think we drafted fairly well to cover those losses last year. I would also be happy to see another key forward, especially if N Ablett doesn't come back and/or the club sees Lonergan's long term future in the backline rather than up forward.

Thoughts?

Reading that i couldnt agree with you more Reg Hickey. I think the Rookie list players will definately become more important in the next few years.

Im just wondering as well if all our rucks will hang around especially if Otto and Blakey keep filling the main spots.

I think we will need:

- An elite skilled small backmen/midfeilder.
Zaharakis, Blease, Hill

- 6'1+ midfielder preferably that can play back
Robinson, Broadbent, Blessing, Deboer

- 194+ KP backmen
Lisle, Trengrove, Johnston

I think we could potentially get two of these guys. They all seem to fit into that 7-25 range which is hard to separate this year.

I think we will need:

Zaharakis, Blease, Hill

- 194+ KP backmen

I think we could potentially get two of these guys. They all seem to fit into that 7-25 range which is hard to separate this year.

I reckon that the names you have mentioned are pretty much spot on. As Reg has mentioned there is perhaps no immediate need for any, particulary if Egan is able to successfully return next year. So perhaps the first pick should be of the "best available", whoever Wells determines that is. Subsequent picks could then be balanced.

If you assume one of Corey/Prismall is going at years end, then we should have 2 or even 3 picks in the first 25 (assuming pick 16 plus maybe 18 and 23 for Corey or pick 17 for Prismall).

To pick up 2 of Sidebottom/Blease/Zaharakis/Hill/Robinson and 1 of Lisle/Trengrove/Johnston would be a great result.

I really like the look of Sidebottom if he dropped to us I would be very happy.
Also like the look of Hurley as Well as a big bodied Key backmen.

I think we will need:

Zaharakis, Blease, Hill

- 194+ KP backmen

I agree, these seem to be the names that are mooted to be potentially available around Geelong's selections.

I'm not too sure Johnston would be classed as a key back but I liked the look of Lisle (and his old man played for the 'roos so it would be nice to snatch him off them after they took Colbert, Thompson and *cough* Thurley) while the wraps on Trengove are good.

Robinson will be intersting to watch, after the Championships his stocks have risen however I think people should keep in mind he is a 19 year old so you'd expect him to play well in the 2nd division, especially since he is already playing VFL.

DeBoer is another one to ponder. Lot of people have slammed his kicking but that is something that can be ironed out. Teaching players to find the footy is a bit different.

If we work on losing Prismall (I think late teens through to 30 would be about right for him) that gives Geelong a couple of picks in the top 30.

Go after Lisle, Trengove or maybe a Cahill (who I think could adapt to a CHB role).

The next pick you could throw up a number of names but a small-mid backman would be the go I think.

Overall, I think Geelong are pretty well placed.

I really like the look of Sidebottom if he dropped to us I would be very happy.
Also like the look of Hurley as Well as a big bodied Key backmen.

Oh how I'd love to get my hands on Hurley but I can't see him slipping down to Geelong.

Full backs are hard to come by. If Geelong nabbed Hurley I think the rest of the comp would be kicking themselves for allowing it to happen.

Hurley to Geelong to learn his trade off Scarlett :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Potential Draftee Watch - Version 2008

Remove this Banner Ad

Back