Mega Thread Potential future father-son selections

Remove this Banner Ad

I never said 19 was overs because its irrelevant.

I said pick 30-35 (what we gave up 2018) was overs for a 33yo. The FS situation makes that less of a blow than normal though.
Ok, I misunderstood your original post.

No that only part of it.

We gave up pick 19 (Motlop compo) + our 2018 R2 pick for Ablett pick 24 2017 (Tim Kelly) and GC's 2018 R4 pick. But we probably would have had to use the R2 pick for a Brownless bid anyway and the R4 we got back can cover some of those points.

I sort of relate it to the 2e deal which I didn't like but has worked out well. The win or loss may well depend on Ablett in the big games at years end lead us to a win with a BOG in a final and it will look a reasonable deal. Continue to be hounded by injury , fail to play 30 games and it will be a failed fairy tale.

I sort of relate it to the 2e deal which I didn't like but has worked out well. The win or loss may well depend on Ablett in the big games at years end lead us to a win with a BOG in a final and it will look a reasonable deal. Continue to be hounded by injury , fail to play 30 games and it will be a failed fairy tale.

Tuohy deal was probably a bigger gamble than we needed to take given he was OOC (if we'd missed the finals last year it would have been a top 10 pick gone) but it has worked out as Pick 15 for Tuohy and Fogarty which is a great result in the end.

I agree those trades were clever and clearly done for likely FS bid points. That said I still think a R2 was overs for a 33yo with injury history but if Brownless is bid R2/R3 so we can mostly use the GC R4 for the points so we haven't lost much.

If the deal was done for the player alone, I agree, but the kicker was GC stumping up for a fair amount of his salary.

Sounds like Young Ned Lonergan will be a F/S chance in about 18 years time.

Congrats to Domsy.

Go Catters

Sounds like Young Ned Lonergan will be a F/S chance in about 18 years time.

Congrats to Domsy.

Go Catters
This is like potential father-son number 35 or 36 from 07,09,11 premiership players.. unbelievable.

Im in same position..I have not seen him this year either ..one usually see some sort of buzz from industry or amateur followers that do see a lot of TAC. Being selected top40 in u17's gives me confidence he is draftable.. and where probably depends on many factors.. he is apparently playing more on ball rather than backline.

There was a bit of a write up from Knightmare on ESPN today (presume there's a link on his drafts & trading forum) that gave both Brownless and Mensch a bit of a wrap for their games last week. Some good signs.

Look Oscar is a lock for us with FS... But with Mensch, lets just see how he goes as we could get a good player thats not even a FS. #inwellswetrust
Someone from the Falcons didn't really think he was that good last year and said he probably wouldn't make it but his numbers are impressive this year.

Good signs how quickly he's developed and seemingly improved.

Someone from the Falcons didn't really think he was that good last year and said he probably wouldn't make it but his numbers are impressive this year.

I recall this being posted.

Sounds like he's developing. Good signs.

GO Catters

Oh no doubt he has improved and i did read the same thing on that they didnt think he was going to make it..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does anyone remember Damian Bourke's son Jordan? We were pondering drafting him (some of us fans were anyway) back a few years back but decided against. Did he just fade away into the Queensland leagues?

He spent a couple of years on Brisbane's rookie list then got delisted.

Nothing surer than a team bidding on our FS early just to make us pay up.
Always the way

No its not... which club bid early on one of our Father Sons. Simpson? Rookie p53 ..Bews? p86 ...

Now admittedly ..OscarB looks to be the best credentialed FS since Hawk and the rules were different for him.. In fact the rules changed because of him

Remember if another club does bid ..its basically a draft choice... its not like Gold Coast could bid their R1 on Mensch just to toy with us for eg.
The fact is nearly all Father Sons slip to some degree.. and then when you add discount we get the player at a reasonable cost.

So for eg. if a club bids their R2 P30 basically we get 197 points discount .. we have to find 432 points.. we have atm 49, 54 ,55 and 60.. well and truly enough

No its not... which club bid early on one of our Father Sons. Simpson? Rookie p53 ..Bews? p86 ...

Now admittedly ..OscarB looks to be the best credentialed FS since Hawk and the rules were different for him.. In fact the rules changed because of him

Remember if another club does bid ..its basically a draft choice... its not like Gold Coast could bid their R1 on Mensch just to toy with us for eg.
The fact is nearly all Father Sons slip to some degree.. and then when you add discount we get the player at a reasonable cost.

So for eg. if a club bids their R2 P30 basically we get 197 points discount .. we have to find 432 points.. we have atm 49, 54 ,55 and 60.. well and truly enough

Still think we’ll still have the players we have our eye on bid on earlier than expected

Knightmare writing for ESPN gives his take on our F/S chances this year

Geelong

Hard running midfielder with clean skills, Oscar Brownless (son of Bill) is averaging 25 disposals over his past three games for Geelong in the TAC Cup. The 186cm midfielder looks like a probable national draft selection and is likely to feature in the second half of the draft.

Averaging 34.5 disposals and 18 contested possessions over the past two weeks for Geelong in the TAC Cup, Baxter Mensch (son of David) is firmly in the draft mix. As a 178cm midfielder who has little impact per possession, Mensch more likely is a late or rookie pick rather than an early choice.

Likely to feature inside the first half of the draft as a skilful utility, Bailey Scott (son of Robert) is also eligible for North Melbourne as a father-son choice and Gold Coast as an academy selection.

www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_/id/23444718/afl-draft-************-knightmare-father-son-academy-analysis

Still think we’ll still have the players we have our eye on bid on earlier than expected

Well we will see ...
At this stage the expected range varies quite a bit .. read on here and some think we will be asked to use a r1 for OB. The latest report I read was Knightmares ..and he estimates 2nd half of the draft.. but its all speculation and a bit early to be very confident on it. His form at the Champs will influence his value.
My pov is based on recent FSons(not just ours) , that clubs usually only bid when the player has slide to the point of being too much of a discount to ignore. I have not seen any report with OB in the top 20 at this stage

Remove this Banner Ad

Back