Potential GWS Defenders

Remove this Banner Ad

Sam Reid- Western Bulldogs originally from Zilmere in QLD.. Younger brother Ben has played with GWS this year in the NEAFL and has done well.. initially simply a 'top' up player for the list, but based on form could stay.. This could bring Sam into calculations a bit more heavily and wouldnt be suprised if the brothers Sam & Ben end up at the same club.I think the key is a balance between strong bodies/ experience and a few young 'guns'.. They need at least 1 player on each line that has been exposed to senior AFL and can serve a role for the team, the may need to sacrifice their game a little as well..

You're joking? We'll have two Sam & Ben Reid brothers playing in the AFL??

You're joking? We'll have two Sam & Ben Reid brothers playing in the AFL??
LOL! we could potentially have the two sets playing. I know Ben is currently having discussions with GWS about his playing future there. They are very different players though.. Ben is very light, but very talented, reminds me of Hayden Crozier..

You guys should be chasing someone like Merret from Brisbane

His not a guy that is going to cost you serious coin and would be a great get at FB with Davis at CHB would have your defence set up for the next 5 years and getting a small shut down type like Toovey or Goldsack

Merrett's one that I'd be truly shocked if he left the Lions. He signs without fuss each time he's off contract even though he could get a much bigger pay packet if he tested the market and each time he just comments that he loves the Lions and appreciates playing for them. Crazy in this day and age. I'd expect Brown to leave before Merrett.

Frawley from melbourne or maybe brown from collingwood. neither will come cheap but a low 1st rounder will do it.
Melbourne would never let Frawley go for just a Round One pick. He's pretty much the total package as a modern day backman. Brown, while not as well-rounded, would certainly be considered worth more to Collingwood too. Add in that he's at an amazingly strong club and will reform a partnership with Ben Reid next year, and there's not a chance he would leave.

GWS should be looking at Matty Warnock, as a few Melbourne supporters have said. I don't think he's the biggest KPD going around, but he'd certainly do a job just fine. I'd be happy if I were GWS and ended up with Warnock to partner Davis as the two big men down back.

Warnock would be very cheap, but i really think GWS shouldn't skimp on their kpps. Warnock should be a 3rd kpb, and GWS should try poach either mitch or nathan brown. Nathan, obviously would cost a lot more, and Mitch is injury prone, but both would be good acquisitions

definitely like the idea of GWS picking up addison in the psd too

Beau Wilkes from Claremont would be a good get I would think. 25 yo, is a massive unit but not slow. Might not be able to take on a Buddy but he could do well against slower FF's.

Obviously not on a senior list anymore but was with West Coast for like 5-6 year so he has had experience in the systme. Because he is not senior listed he could be had for bugger all and provide a decent strong foil for the young fellas.

Plus won the Simpson medal playing forward in the WAFL GF this year so he can play back or forward.

Article in the paper today that Addison of the bulldogs is looking for a new home. I know I mentioned him earlier but I just thought he didnt get enough opportunities at the dogs this year. I think we will trade for him maybe a 2nd or 3rd round pick? Doubt we would give up a youngster. Id dare say Sheeds and SOS would have had a look at him.

Also what is everybody's thoughts on Jesse White of the swans? A bit of a log but could develop under sheeds and would give us a target up forward until Jonathon Patten develops (assuming we take him number 1)

Paul Bower is now up for grabs. He is a good rebounding defender in need of a solid pre-season. only 23 years old too. He would bring some much needed experience to your backline and his value wont be as high as the Blues would like atm either. Would be a great get for you guys!

Must admit, I haven't seen to much of Bower. But we do need defenders, and a rebounding one at that. But I doubt we'll get him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's a strong rumour doing the rounds in the Pendlebury's home town that you guys are seriously looking at Scott's big brother Kris who has had a good couple of years at FB for Collingwood in the VFL and it would also place you guys in a good spot to secure Scott when he comes out of contract at the end of 2012.

Even if he was related to Scott he deserves a place at the Giants...we need a solid defender, and he's certainly proved he's that in the VFL.

Apparently Ladson is opting for a trade to GWS for more opportunity. Could be a handy utility player. He is capable as a small defender, and offers both rebound and accountability. Don't think Hawthorn could expect much for him though.

You've obviously taken an eye on the future, but it's to the detriment of the club I fear.

You need a decent balance, I reckon GC were slightly unbalanced last year, and their list looks like a retirement home atm compared to yours.

At the end of the day, Davis has good potential, but he was getting cut up at times in the Adelaide defence let alone heading up yours.

Addison, Bower and Kris Pendlebury?

They are better than 18 year olds, but not by much when you look at it.

Gubby Allen is taking the piss if he trades off Tim Mohr from Casey, he should be a lock for one of your defensive spots, and really, with all the extra picks you've amassed you should be chasing the middle tier defenders, not the superstars, but the S.Thompsons, Gibsons, Waites, Merretts, Gwilts, M.Johnsons etc....

If you don't rectify your defence in the next 3 days, you wont find it in the draft, and a defence comprised of state league players are exactly that when they are one-out again the Lance Franklin and Jack Riewoldt's of the league.....

You can get away with playing the 18 year olds in the forward line and midfield, but you will get obliterated if 80% of your backline are first gamers or delistee's next season...

Frawley from melbourne or maybe brown from collingwood. neither will come cheap but a low 1st rounder will do it.

No, no and no. No chance in hell would Melbourne trade Frawley, kid is easily top 3 up and coming key backs in the competition, still very young and will notch up a few more All Australian before he's done at the Dees.

Try Ben Reid or Nathan Brown from pies, with their salary cap issues one of them will be getting underpaid.

Remove this Banner Ad

Potential GWS Defenders

Remove this Banner Ad

Back