Power delistings

Remove this Banner Ad

Too hasty. Wrong call on Thomas and possibly Blee.

What if Thomas wins the Magery, the Jack Oatey and has Richmond and Brisbane fighting for him. Then we may have got compensation for him or decided to keep him. What if Salter or D.Stewart or Blee kick a bag in a GF? Why couldn't we wait until the end of the sanfl GF?

Given the way Logan improved when put in a decent team set up, why wasn't Thomas given a chance in a well performing set up. He monstered Carlton last year when we were shit, he should have been given a greater chance than he was. Wrong call on this one.

Remember that Kingsley was delisted and picked up again through the draft I believe. If Blee is as good as everyone on here thinks he is, he might just need a rocket to get the best out of himself.

Blee is probably good enough to be on an AFL list somewhere. Unfortunately for him he's 6th to play as a third tall defender at Port Adelaide. Good call but I do hope he gets another chance.

Soundslike Thomas will get a gig at another club. Best of luck to him.

Stewart, Pfeiffer and Salter gave it their best shot but weren't up to it in the end. No doubt injuries didn't help.

I hope we can keep Butcher and Hoskin at the Magpies in 2014. It would be great to see them both playing regular league footy.

What if Thomas wins the Magery, the Jack Oatey and has Richmond and Brisbane fighting for him. Then we may have got compensation for him or decided to keep him. What if Salter or D.Stewart or Blee kick a bag in a GF? Why couldn't we wait until the end of the sanfl GF?

Given the way Logan improved when put in a decent team set up, why wasn't Thomas given a chance in a well performing set up. He monstered Carlton last year when we were shit, he should have been given a greater chance than he was. Wrong call on this one.

What are you talking about, wrong call? Did Thomas get a chance this year? He had several, even going as far as keeping Moore out of the team when he was racking up possessions in the SANFL. Kane Mitchell won the Sandover medal - what did that get him? A spot on the rookie list.

There's a huge difference in class between the SANFL and the AFL. Hinkley understands this, which is why he isn't swayed by end of year performances. It's about what you did through the year, that was of benefit to the Port Adelaide Football Club, that counts. Not what you do for Norwood, North Adelaide or whoever when your career is on the line.

I agree with all the cuts. Mitchell probably deserves promotion to the senior list. Hopefully we can use our rookie spots for more speculative players rather than just depth players.

Thomas is a free agent... the compensation for him is an empty packet of chips.

I agree with all the cuts. Mitchell probably deserves promotion to the senior list. Hopefully we can use our rookie spots for more speculative players rather than just depth players.

That's what I envision for the rookie list. It's for project players - rucks and key position players who might take a couple of years to show something. The way we've been using it - as a creche for players who we can upgrade halfway through the year as a 'feel good' story, isn't the way to go about it.

The delistings are about right I reckon. Maybe another year for Blee but as someone else said, he is 24 and looked a bit light weight for AFL when he played a couple this year and yes, we have plenty of his type.

Last year, I would have thought that Hitchcock was a certainty to go but he has really come on well this year and he was not bad at all in the games he played this year. I reckon he thoroughly deserves to be retained.

Matty Thomas has been a wonderful servant and I join with others to wish him all the best and thanks for his whole hearted efforts for the guernsey.

I am disappointed with Daniel Stewart; I thought he had all the attributes to be a very good player for us but he didn't reach his potential. I hope that the lad does get picked up by someone else and does realise his potential.

Nick Salter is a useful player but he isn't really a forward, not that he was given much of an opportunity there, he's not really a defender or on baller and again, good luck to him in the future and another lad who I hope goes to a club that needs a player of his type.

Unfortunately, the other four lads aren't up to AFL standard currently but they shouldn't pack it in 'cause they're still young and can improve significantly if they don't give up and put in.

What are you talking about, wrong call? Did Thomas get a chance this year? He had several, even going as far as keeping Moore out of the team when he was racking up possessions in the SANFL. Kane Mitchell won the Sandover medal - what did that get him? A spot on the rookie list.

There's a huge difference in class between the SANFL and the AFL. Hinkley understands this, which is why he isn't swayed by end of year performances. It's about what you did through the year, that was of benefit to the Port Adelaide Football Club, that counts. Not what you do for Norwood, North Adelaide or whoever when your career is on the line.

He had two chances, one he played not so well the other he played fairly decently. He was our best performing player in the SANFL all year as well. Something happened that made Thomas fall massively out of favour, or perhaps it was just that Monfries, Gray, and a couple of others who rotated through the forward line were seen as playing his role.

Either way he was criminally underrated on this board for years. I'm very sad I won't get to see him in a Port Adelaide jumper again, but I knew that since halfway through the year when his good form was clearly being ignored. My favorite player since he first played, and I think it will take a big man to fill that number 21.

Once again, I don't really give a shit what most people on this board have to say about him. People have said much the same about guys like Cornes, Schulz, Lobbe, Pearce, Chaplin, and my boy O'Shea as they did about Thomas and Logan. Thomas never got the chance to prove them wrong, but there will be new whipping boys soon enough. I'm guessing Hitchcock will be the fan favorite.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remember that Kingsley was delisted and picked up again through the draft I believe. If Blee is as good as everyone on here thinks he is, he might just need a rocket to get the best out of himself.

Kingsley was never technically delisted. We told him he would be, in late September, and he went away and lost weight and got fit. We still had him on our list at 31st October first list lodgement and in early November told him we would keep him on the list. It was Choco kicking him up the arse.

Kingsley was never technically delisted. We told him he would be, in late September, and he went away and lost weight and got fit. We still had him on our list at 31st October first list lodgement and in early November told him we would keep him on the list. It was Choco kicking him up the arse.

The collapse of the Stevens trade helped save him too.

No surprises among the delistings for me. I can see us sending Hitchcock to the crows when they have to make a desperate last minute trade after the Betts chase falls over.

There is always a reason why the club have made their decision and it is always a well discussed and researched decision. EG BMT doesnt fit into the 014 game plan and no doubt the club has their sites on a replacement. EG Salters issues were different and no doubt the others differed as well. Good luck to all who end up on the DCM list from all clubs and i admire that you all got the chance to achieve what most of us can only dream of. Well done in tough times.

Pretty much what you would think

Blee and Thomas are very limited in how they play, both don't deserve a spot on our list.

Blee maybe re rookied but thats about it

He had two chances, one he played not so well the other he played fairly decently. He was our best performing player in the SANFL all year as well. Something happened that made Thomas fall massively out of favour, or perhaps it was just that Monfries, Gray, and a couple of others who rotated through the forward line were seen as playing his role.

He played four games this year. Some players who were delisted (Blee, Salter, Ebert) never even got one chance. I'd say what happened was he was a victim of the Hinkley mantra - "If you don't defend, you don't play". Look at the work rate of Monfries - pressure all over the ground. Ditto with Gray, even though he was coming back from an ACL.

I don't have anything against Thomas. Perhaps he was underrated a tad, but criminally is stretching it. You'll notice that once players perform on a consistent basis, like Logan, no-one questions their value to the side. It does annoy me when people make blanket statements that a player 'won't make it', such as what was said about Lobbe, Moore, O'Shea etc. But Thomas has had several years on the list, and when you look at the way the team performed against Geelong...are you really going to say that the coaches don't know what they are doing by delisting him? Ask yourself who out of that side he would have replaced.

Incidentally, who ever said a bad word about Schulz? Maybe when we traded for him...but he's been good from the start.

Blee did get chances but never impacted a game, really - some thought he could find a role on the wing, but if Kenny thinks he isn't good enough.... IKWT

for next year unless a player somehow becomes great I would think the top 5 guys that could be delisted would be
Hitchcock, Renouf, Ah Chee, Stevenson, Mitchell + Cassisi retiring

now do the top 5 scorers in the Prem.. please say Suarez and Sturridge :D :p

Remove this Banner Ad

Power delistings

Remove this Banner Ad

Back