Review Pr(O)logue Round, 2024 - Brisbane Lions vs. Carlton

Who were your five best players against Carlton?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m amazed at how little scrutiny is given to Starcevich. At times against Carlton he was standing on his own, guarding space it would seem.
IMHO it’s probably time to look at alternatives.
As for the pre-season suggestion of a move to the midfield, that’s just fanciful.
Well said. Another player who avoids scrutiny. His disposal and decision making can be very suspect. Another player that you would not want to have engineering our exits from Defensive 50.

Lol so sounds like Starce will be this years whipping boy. Finished 6th in the B&F last year, very good player. In the Zorko and Gardiner bracket of underrated by their own fans.
Starc is another player who suffers from the very high expectations placed on him 2 or 3 years ago.

He's a good solid player who gives his all.

Besides which, about all we have for the position he plays. And certainly no one near as good.

The talk about Starc moving to the midfield was plainly silly.

In fact it seems that anyone who shows a bit of dash and ability makes people spark up as to how we should get them into the midfield.

We've got really good players ,high draft picks who don't have what it takes to be a consistent midfield contributer , not many players can deliver the demands of endurance and physical resilience required.

Well said. Another player who avoids scrutiny. His disposal and decision making can be very suspect. Another player that you would not want to have engineering our exits from Defensive 50.
You know 3KZ, things are never as bad as they seem, but you just seem to be so negative on Fages, Payne, Starc and anyone else that does not meet Lesters standards.

As a point of interest have a look how easily McKay out-marks Lester down the ground in the first and fourth Qs, I acknowledge Lester is doing a fine job playing a role in the backline. He is a role player with a few cheap disposals.

By the way, Curnow scored 1 goal last year when playing Brisbane in Melbourne and that one goal was when Lester found himself marking Curnow.

Hope you are more positive with the kids you are coaching

We had a great pre-season, no real injuries, good training, good process and convinced ourselves there was no hangover from playing in the Grand Final that we were hungry. Everyone was tipping us to win it this year and we believed we had a great chance.

Pre-season wins over Gold Coast and Sydney and a first half against Carlton that suggested everything was just travelling hunky dory. Then had our ass handed to us because we forgot that to win footy games, you have to play, not watch.

The loss was more a coaching fail than anything.

I maintain as I have for the last few years we have a leadership problem more than anything. We don't have a Voss, Selwood or Hodge type that will charge up out of the foxhole and yell 'follow me" into the battle. We just don't have a, leader by example, we have very talented footballers, good media performers, people who set professionalism examples but not someone that lifts the team with the deeds they set on the field in the big moments.

I though Dunkley could be the bloke that does the thing, that desperate act that lifts the team, the team see how much it means and they follow, the flag bearer for effort, but alas he is not, or not yet. Just too many 'watchers' in games where we loose our composure.

Still believe we can win the Grand Final, we got a touch up first round last year, we will be fine.
Probably agree re the leaders, Cripps seemed to injure his knee but you could see him lifting late in that 2nd Q causing the momentum change.

We played the worse in the first part of the third?? We also kicked a goal to take the lead in red time.

Like I don’t necessarily disagree but today’s game wasn’t lost to poor performance in red time.
Can confirm we kicked 0 goals in red time. We did however kick a behind.

Carlton kicked 4 goals 2.

As an aside, having Gardiner - a guy who beat Curnow in a final - playing forward while Payne gets dominated down back is a poor decision by the coaches. Should have absolutely put Dizzy down back on Charlie.
I think you're forgetting what an outstanding job Payne did on Curnow in the regular season last year. It was the right call to start Payne on Curnow, and while it was hard for me to see exactly what was happening inside Carlton's 50 in the 3rd quarter from the other end of the ground, Curnow had a big quarter so I was OK with Gardiner being moved back on to him. Even though I'd prefer Gardiner forward and Payne back all things being equal. Think Gardiner has better know-how as a forward than Payne.

That's s strength and condition issue. Direct correlation between hamstring strength and all ruptures.
Fair dinkum? There seem to have been a truckload of ACL's in recent years. Might this be a league wide issue? Is there a way to minimise these? What (if anything) do you have to give up in return? I have no idea about this sport science stuff...

Fair dinkum? There seem to have been a truckload of ACL's in recent years. Might this be a league wide issue? Is there a way to minimise these? What (if anything) do you have to give up in return? I have no idea about this sport science stuff...
I stumbled across a fitness guy on You tube who has a reasonably new training regime to strengthen knees, the short version of what he does is he advocates for a lot backwards walking, weighted sled dragging and pushing and against the old mantra of not putting your knees over your toes he is all for it.

Not really bad but I do have painful knees if I run on concrete or traversing down steep descents, since new year I have been doing about 300 meters uphill backwards walking nearly every day(I get some strange looks), and the knees going past my toes exercises since December, my knees definitely feel better.

If you google knees over toes guy it comes up, I am a huge fan, I posted about him in the Den, Health and Life goals thread.

I stumbled across a fitness guy on You tube who has a reasonably new training regime to strengthen knees, the short version of what he does is he advocates for a lot backwards walking, weighted sled dragging and pushing and against the old mantra of not putting your knees over your toes he is all for it.

Not really bad but I do have painful knees if I run on concrete or traversing down steep descents, since new year I have been doing about 300 meters uphill backwards walking nearly every day(I get some strange looks), and the knees going past my toes exercises since December, my knees definitely feel better.

If you google knees over toes guy it comes up, I am a huge fan, I posted about him in the Den, Health and Life goals thread.
Walking backwards hey?

Reminds me of a story about Brent Crosswell, one of Tassie's all time greats. Went to school with his son actually, was a heck of a soccer player.

Anyway the story goes one day at North Melbourne training in the 70s under Barassi they were doing sprint training and Crossa got that cranky at everyone for being slow and dragging the chain, he goes "I bet I can beat all you lot running backwards."

So he did.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The one that hurt bad was the Charlie 15 m in front miss.

Shocker.
The thing about that shot was that I knew he'd miss. He missed 4 or 5 times last season from that exact spot on the ground. Not literally on the Gabba - he also missed from that spot in Canberra. But yeah 4 or 5 times, 15m out, slightly to the left of centre.

I was yelling out for him to snap around the body from there before the kick. But when you sit in the back row of the top tier sometimes it takes a bit of time for the message to get down to the ground.

Unsure how anyone can say Collingwood’s loss wasn’t as bad as ours. They were hardly even in the game the whole night.

There’s a lot less expectations, pressure and most importantly stress on them since they just won the premiership last year. If we won it last year and ended up still losing this game you’d find me giving zero ****s.

We didn’t though, and while it’s the start of the season it’s the sixth year of us contending with no premiership so fans and I don’t doubt the club will be feeling more stress than Collingwood.

Walking backwards hey?

Reminds me of a story about Brent Crosswell, one of Tassie's all time greats. Went to school with his son actually, was a heck of a soccer player.

Anyway the story goes one day at North Melbourne training in the 70s under Barassi they were doing sprint training and Crossa got that cranky at everyone for being slow and dragging the chain, he goes "I bet I can beat all you lot running backwards."

So he did.
Another protocol that supposedly strengthens particularly ankles but knees as well is barefoot walking over uneven surfaces, works on the smaller stabilizing muscles in the foot, there are some devices that you can buy to mimic that affect called balance boards.

The thing about that shot was that I knew he'd miss. He missed 4 or 5 times last season from that exact spot on the ground. Not literally on the Gabba - he also missed from that spot in Canberra. But yeah 4 or 5 times, 15m out, slightly to the left of centre.

I was yelling out for him to snap around the body from there before the kick. But when you sit in the back row of the top tier sometimes it takes a bit of time for the message to get down to the ground.
LOL! So was I.

Another protocol that supposedly strengthens particularly ankles but knees as well is barefoot walking over uneven surfaces, works on the smaller stabilizing muscles in the foot, there are some devices that you can buy to mimic that affect called balance boards.
I know that our players rehabbing from ACL's spend a fair bit of time on balance boards.

These guys do awesome physical test and measure equipment. I got to have a play with some of the equipment a couple of years ago. Back then lions weren't clients but many elite sports were, maybe they are now.

They have some gear to specifically measure hamstring strength and had all the research about the correlation between it and acl injury

Kiddy has the bent forward at the hips running posture that can be indicative of lower crossed issues. Tight hip flexors and tight lower back, with weak abs and glutes. Which in turn can tighten hamstring and reduce strength.

The best program I've ever seen fix form is these guys Functional Patterns Brisbane.

I don't work for them, don't get $$ off them but I 100% endorse their physical therapy.

They break down Usain bolts running form and have a bunch of exercises that try to create bolts form. I've been very impressed with their results. Their sunbake daily and meat and root vegetable diet plan I'm no so into, but their motto is movement is king.

They do elite athletes and also physically broken people.

Footy clubs don't focus on that basic level. The players are elite and mostly don't make it through if they have these types of problems. Just shows how remarkable kiddy's skills are.

Must admit; I’ve seen a few Baby Boomers running backwards up on the Sunshine Coast and I thought they were all batshit crazy. Perhaps they’ve been watching this YouTuber 😉

These guys do awesome physical test and measure equipment. I got to have a play with some of the equipment a couple of years ago. Back then lions weren't clients but many elite sports were, maybe they are now.

They have some gear to specifically measure hamstring strength and had all the research about the correlation between it and acl injury

Kiddy has the bent forward at the hips running posture that can be indicative of lower crossed issues. Tight hip flexors and tight lower back, with weak abs and glutes. Which in turn can tighten hamstring and reduce strength.

The best program I've ever seen fix form is these guys Functional Patterns Brisbane.

I don't work for them, don't get $$ off them but I 100% endorse their physical therapy.

They break down Usain bolts running form and have a bunch of exercises that try to create bolts form. I've been very impressed with their results. Their sunbake daily and meat and root vegetable diet plan I'm no so into, but their motto is movement is king.

Footy clubs don't focus on that basic level. The players are elite and mostly don't make it through if they have these types of problems. Just shows how remarkable kiddy's skills are.
I had a good read through that link to Functional Patterns, looks good. I am going to pass it on to my son who has a degenerative condition of the discs, he's 39 now and has had consistent back pain all his adult life.

These look like great programs.
I think a few of us probably qualify for broken people or bodies, gees my back is sore at the moment, might have to pump a few anti inflamitries into me. But you know what.
You might have inspired me again though Gads to get back into my pilates program, basically gives you strong glutes, thigh muscles, and abbs. Although my hipflexes are always tight, my hammys have been tight since I was a kid , never been flexible and even when I'm pilate fit , it's only when I went to a good remedial massage , it released.
You can only do so much I think , it often comes down to how you are built, but never stop trying to build strength to compensate .

Kiddy was he just unlucky.
I think as soon as he kicked the ball , the follow through with his kick struck another player , his upper thigh was stopped suddenly unfortunately his lower leg kept going with the momentum.
Looked like a hyperextension, not much strengthening would of helped him , I wouldn't think.
I'm surprised it doesn't happen more when players kick in congestion with bodys and legs everywhere.

Edit: Might have to get back into prioritising stretching as well , just done a hipflex stretch, ahhh that's better.

Last edited:
Our team is immensely talented but has a really bad habit of going hard for a quarter or 2 then coasting through the rest of the game. They really need to develop a ruthless edge. Time to put teams to the sword like the way Geelong did in 2022. If this team doesn't win a flag it will be one hell of a waste.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Pr(O)logue Round, 2024 - Brisbane Lions vs. Carlton

Back