Review Pr(O)logue Round, 2024 - Brisbane Lions vs. Carlton

Who were your five best players against Carlton?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Said it in the game thread, but the start ended up being the worst thing that could’ve happened. Was witches hats type stuff in that first quarter. Once the intensity lifted, we couldn’t match them so all credit to Carlton for that.

What I would give to get the Jack Payne of rounds 1-12 last year back. His form since mid year last year has been a real worry. Looks to still be carrying something, at least I hope that’s what it is.

And Joe. Was worried about his form during pre season, but assumed that was just Joe being Joe during the preseason. He was awful tonight and when he plays like that, you can accept people questioning whether he really cares.

And the worst news of the night, obviously Kiddy. I’m going the early crow but if that’s an ACL, our flag hopes are done imo. He is that important to this team in a team that doesn’t have a whole lot of great kicks, especially down back.

All in all a shit night really. Can we can opening round and start on 0 points next week?

Let's not overreact from one game fam.

Instead, I propose we embrace the truth: Vossy was due to coach a huge comeback win at the Gabba. It's his schtick.
Under normal circumstances maybe. But I think this game tells a whole lot about how our season will go. Far worse than any other opening round losses.

I’d like to see Berry out of the team. He can’t be a walk up start each week. Get Dev in or maybe even see what Sam Sheldon is doing these days.. can’t be worse.

Ended up getting beaten up around the contest led by some woeful rucking. Hopefully Dunkley and Neale can get back to the midfield time they had last year

Laughed when Oscar was up against Cripps and twice managed to palm it straight to a Carlton player.

The ones I hate losing are the ones we clearly should've won and had every ample opportunity to do so.

Credit to the Blues they came from 46 points down on our home deck . Once they started playing a bit better we didn't believe it was happening and just went through the motions. Once they had a sniff we didn't have the legs to wrest momentum back.

That loss is all on us. Stop talking about how we're now ready to take the next step and just focus on beating Freo next week. Which won't be any gimme over there.

We weren't even trying to shut the game down.

We weren't dropping players back, we weren't chipping the ball back and forth, we'd simply stopped running into space and instead just bombed it down the line. I'm guessing because we were up by "enough" that effort dropped.

Hopefully that's a wake up call - it was last year.

Or maybe Carlton are a top 4 side and if they get 10-15 utterly BS frees then they’re back in the game…add some appalling yips kicking at goal and this is what you get 🤷‍♂️

team america vomit GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I love Oscar although those blind long kicks kill us.
So many dropped easy marks
No run yet again I say this over and over we cannot go with Lyons, Dunkley, Zorko and Neale.
Blue wanted it after half time.
When the going gets tough.. we went.
This happened so many times over the last few years.

Add to Hipwood worse the Joe kicking at goal.. And Charlie misses some easy ones

But Fagan said we dont have a red time problem in his interview just last week :rolleyes:
We don't try to shut games down in red time. We try and shut games down when we think we have a big enough lead. Literally stopped trying to attack 10 minutes in to the second quarter and went in to game management mode.

Preserve the win. Don't get any injuries. Negative football.

We don't try to shut games down in red time. We try and shut games down when we think we have a big enough lead. Literally stopped trying to attack 10 minutes in to the second quarter and went in to game management mode.

Preserve the win. Don't get any injuries. Negative football.

Really don’t think we did that. We kept trying to go really fast quite often, and kept turning it over leading to goals for them.

It's one loss, but stinks of arrogance trying this weird lineup. Forced sub and we got found out going too tall and too slow. JL out there chasing shadows, forced to push Payne up forward because we insisted on this 3 tall lineup...

Blowing such a massive lead to a undermanned Carlton is a lovely addition to our round one bed shots.

Hopefully that’s just an anomaly as if it’s a sign of how we’ve mentally responded to the grand final it’s going to be an ugly year

Lohmann won't get many more chances and while he got into some better positions in the 4th, he spent the entire 3rd running around the ground doing nothing.

Easy target to single out but I just do not see him making it unless something drastic changes.

Lachie Neale was lacking a run that’s for sure.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Pr(O)logue Round, 2024 - Brisbane Lions vs. Carlton

Back