Review Pr(O)logue Round, 2024 - Brisbane Lions vs. Carlton

Who were your five best players against Carlton?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Said many times over the last few years how to play the Lions.
Big Bodied mids, a deep midfield that run carry the ball
Blues done it too us a few times
Cats do
Melb do
Dogs do it often to us
Pies did it in GF

If we do not get the ball we have no mid leg speed to chase or guys who can actually tackle.

We don't try to shut games down in red time. We try and shut games down when we think we have a big enough lead. Literally stopped trying to attack 10 minutes in to the second quarter and went in to game management mode.

Preserve the win. Don't get any injuries. Negative football.
What worries me is that during those times, our best players seem to go missing. Guys like Lyons, Lester, Starce and Berry seemed to be left to do the bulk of the work while Clugga, Neale, Dunkley, Rayner, Bailey and Zorko were infective.

Last edited:

I love Oscar although those blind long kicks kill us.
The key bit to my mind - if that's the strategy, and it clearly is, SET UP FOR IT. Get in front. Man up. Don't try to claim space and have it drop to anyone else - and then don't watch them run off you, Joe!

Our midfield's defensive capabilities are a worry when the momentum is against us

Hard to blame them when Oscars taps were anything but to advantage. He was a big reason they got in top.

Most of the GABBA crowd can get in the bin, when we hit the front again in the last they panned to a section of the crowd and it was like it was freeze framed - no excitement, none standing up giving fellow supporters high fives, they were just sitting there. Took until 5 minutes to go before even heard the “LIONS” chant, before that there were a few episodes of the pansy “Brisbane clap clap clap”. Do better.

Blowing such a massive lead to a undermanned Carlton is a lovely addition to our round one bed shots.

Hopefully that’s just an anomaly as if it’s a sign of how we’ve mentally responded to the grand final it’s going to be an ugly year
It wasn’t an anomaly. Other opening games were. This definitely not.

We didn't just put the cue in the rack, we put the rack in the rack.

I think Berry needs to be looked at as a possible swap out as soon as Ashcroft is back. He's just...he's a big body but thats all he is sometimes, his disposal just isn't up to scratch for us.

Not sure what happened there .
We made lots of mistakes and missed easy goals .
Their forward line was very strong .
Charlie missing easy goals is always a bad omen unfortunately .
Hope Kiddy is ok .
I actually thought the boys looked exhausted at half time , which was concerning .

I hate seeing Vossy coaching Carlton, just doesn’t seem right .
But anyway well done Carlton , that was some comeback .

We don't try to shut games down in red time. We try and shut games down when we think we have a big enough lead. Literally stopped trying to attack 10 minutes in to the second quarter and went in to game management mode.

Preserve the win. Don't get any injuries. Negative football.
The truth in what you say is that we were happy to control the ball and just keep pumping it in to congestion but in the process burned up more juice than we did when we were playing an attacking brand of footy. So we basically had the ball to outselves for 15 minutes for practically zilch and they get it down there once for a goal and then follow up with another one.

Apart from the latter parts of the game where we also lost it via poor kicking that's where we lost it. Should've been 10 up.

I feel like we picked up exactly where we left off from last year in this sort of game. We play at our potential for a period then just close up shop.

The amount of times our guys stood at the back of the contest from half time on waiting for cheap possession does my head in. Why do we work like hell then just stop?? And worst it's the same guys who did it last year.

We are good enough.

But we need to lose either the over confidence or arrogance or just poor poor on field leadership that lets us try and shut games down.

We inevitably suck at tempo footy and spend the rest of games chasing tail. Just crazy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The key bit to my mind - if that's the strategy, and it clearly is, SET UP FOR IT. Get in front. Man up. Don't try to claim space and have it drop to anyone else - and then don't watch them run off you, Joe!
problem is we have no one apart from Linc or Rayner who can take a pack mark :) he he
If Joe does not have a drop a free he always gives

I hate seeing Vossy coaching Carlton, just doesn’t seem right .
The first time I've ever wanted to punch Vossy was that fist pump when they took the lead.

Of course I'm not about to, both because of the respect and because he'd probably still absolutely destroy me, but still... the desire was there.

Or maybe Carlton are a top 4 side and if they get 10-15 utterly BS frees then they’re back in the game…add some appalling yips kicking at goal and this is what you get 🤷‍♂️
Quite a few marks taken over the boundary that were paid .

The first time I've ever wanted to punch Vossy was that fist pump when they took the lead.

Of course I'm not about to, both because of the respect and because he'd probably still absolutely destroy me, but still... the desire was there.
Me too actually , made me a bit angry .

In: Henry Smith, McKenna, Robertson
Out: Payne, Lyons, Coleman

Smith to play forward/ruck while Dizzy goes back.

McKenna for Coleman

Robertson for Lyons.

While JL was decent tonight, the balance is not good with him in the team. Move him back to the sub and get Robertson in who has a LOT more flexibility and much better with his defensive running.

Can someone explain why we played Lyons tonight? Tunstill’s run and defensive game would have helped tonight once they got on top.
I feel like we always give the older players first dibs to play themselves out of the team. e.g. Gunston, Rich, Lyons last time around...

Maybe this will be the end of the experiment (again).

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Pr(O)logue Round, 2024 - Brisbane Lions vs. Carlton

Back