Preview Practice Match v Collingwood Friday 24th Feb 11.00am @ Princes Park

Remove this Banner Ad

Reading the arrogant Pies fans list of excuses as to why their midfield led by 'recruit of the season' Tom Mitchell got absolutely smashed has been entertaining... But my personal favourite from their board is their discussion about how we weren't missing anyone of note outside of Walsh with our injury list :tearsofjoy: Williams is a spud, Mcgovern isnt even in our best 22 when healthy, Durdin no good, Martin and Pittonet both plodders.

Reckon Mcgovern and Durdin when fit would be in our top 10 picked each week, Williams and Martin while not integral pieces provide class and some much needed x factor when available.
Nah but jack ginnivan and Mihocek are superstars……

Pls

Mitchell looked average to me and I thought he looked like his old soft self when he didn’t fly for a contest against Hewett in the first quarter

CAT

Why do you care what their board says in a practice match?

Why not just rejoice in the many positives from our team today? Both afl and vfl.
My job means I'm always having to be on my best behaviour and polite/inclusive to all... Bigfooty is where I come to quench my need to be a rude campaigner and argue with people over meaningless AFL drivel. Otherwise, I bottle it all up and get annoyed at the world.

Turns out arguing with Fadge is actually beneficial for a bit of peace of mind.

Ash Hansen interview with Dwayne Russell after the game on SEN - speaks about kicking long to tall timber/marking power when opposition gives that opportunity; as opposed to hand balling through defensive set up (as Russell’s line of questioning was pursuing).
As long as there are crumbing players at the foot of the contest, otherwise the turnover / defensive rebound would be… bad.

Why do you care what their board says in a practice match?

Why not just rejoice in the many positives from our team today? Both afl and vfl.

Yep, the Collingwood board can say whatever they want. If they are this invested in a practice match, they they already know that last year won’t be repeatable this year (12 wins by 17 or fewer points) and are now trying to convince themselves they are better than they really are.

I really thought Ed Curnow would be in the 2’s all year and be very handy depth, yet he played 1’s and was ok it seems.

If Martin or Durdin available Rd 1, is he still a chance for Rd 1? If so, where does he play?
i think ED will play a lot of 2023 in the 1's........i think his signignificant stats over time have become more effective than a lot give credit for,he was a whipping boy but that was a long time age and this might be his second last year etc.
we will need a strong,experienced tagger a lot of the time this year.......i hope he can stay injury free they will need him

Was not a fan of Cerra's game today. He did some nice things (in close hands / disposal is nice) but the bomb it long down the line over and over thing... yikes. Has he lost a bit of confidence in his kicking?

Different strokes for different folks - I thought he was our best player - strong in the clearances, linked up well and ran hard both ways…

I thought that Cerra, TDK, Kennedy and Newy(has shed a few kilo's) were the main positives from this match.
Hollands looked pretty good also, can see Voss going with 3 wings early on.
Have to agree that Newman looked very good. Somewhat perplexing player but overall I think he's better for the backline than I've given him credit for.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are you joking? Run me through the amazing gut running ids the Tigers have. List them all. Cotchin? Presita? The two slow blokes from gws? Martin couldn’t run 2km in 10 minutes. Who the * are you so worried about with run from them? They’re ducking lucky Walsh isn’t playing. We would run them into the ground.

Bolton and Ralphsmith are their outside runners.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

What I liked:
Ball winning ability and contested play was pretty good. Plenty of individual goal kickers. Our ball movement looked to be ok, better in the first half. Ball movement was great early. Late in the game we were able to get the ball inside a bit and to the opposite of the ground where the space was. We used our wingmen well I thought.

What I didn't like:
There was an enormous amount of intercept marks being taken by Collingwood defenders. It's been a Carlton problem for years now. It's got a lot to do with poor disciplined long kicks. Long kicks that aren't to anyone, aren't to advantage or are to 2 on ones. Too much long kicking and poor quality long kicks.

Leaving the back of the stoppages open. Often there are 1-3 lose Collingwood players at the back end of stoppages allowing them to handball out and go forward without any pressure. Just takes one quicker player to go in there and apply a bit of pressure. This mistake was happening all day, poor coaching if it's deliberate, it takes away our intercept game down the field.

Our strengths:
Body strength around the ball looks good, our tackling and our contested ball looks good. Midfield looks strong. A lot of smart footy brains in the team, we were able to win the ball back a lot in the midfield which was good. Tall forwards look dangerous as do some of our smalls. Our top end talent is very good and it shows.

Weakness:
Thought we looked slow on the outside. I know that's compared to them and that's their strength but we are missing a few outside players and half back dashers and it showed. Intercept marking in defence was poor, compared to them, they took an enormous amount. We missed our third and fourth tall defenders who can intercept mark, we missed a bit of run from behind the play as the game went on. We also didn't appear to have huge rotations through the centre.

Notable absentees:

Williams, McGovern, Marchbank, Martin, Owies, Durdin, Walsh, Pittonet, Cuningham, Boyd and Cottrell. All missing and it really showed. Intercept marking, defensive rebound, run and speed, a ruck who can impact in the air and at the contest, forward line pressure and ground level speed. All these aspects these players bring was noticeable missing so it will be good to bring some of them back into the side soon.

It was definitely a positive hitout considering we could still win a game with a lot missing so good signs there.

Cincotta - Wasn't involved in a massive way but when he was he was good. He can run, kick, compete and he's not short of confidence. Potential to grow and improve there.

Silvagni - expected to see him play higher but he played deeper. Thought he missed a couple he should have kicked. Need him to nail those. Otherwise he was good. He seemed to take a much bigger opponent at times which is not ideal for him.

Motlop - Looks primed for a good season, just a smart player who gets to the right spot and uses it.

O'Brien - He was good, kept his width and when we used him he finished for us.

Cerra - On the ball mostly in the first half, then was he used at half back? Perhaps swapped with Docherty? He was great on the ball.

Kennedy - Fit strong and excellent. Great skills.

Cripps - Was really good.

McKay - Excellent.

DeKoning - The best and the worse. Taking big marks and playing well went to dropping marks and missing goals. Needs to tidy those things up.

Acrea - Excellent recruit, full package winger.

Hollands - He will be a good player but I am not convinced he is ready for senior footy yet. Did some nice things but needs to keep building.

Docherty - Wasn't that taken with his midfield game, thought he was ok without setting the world on fire, he will get better and is better, we know that so no worries there, he looks fit.

Plowman - Thought he was good, he just moves at a slower speed to high paced senior footballers, smart enough to get around it most of the time, he's a known quantity who played solidly without setting the world on fire. We have better options, we know that but he proved he can play at a decent level.

Weitering - Very solid, didn't tear the game apart, just got through I feel.

Newman - Feel he's going to be really important with our injuries in defence.

Fisher - Thought he was good without seeing his best. He was probably heavily minded.

Cowan - Looks the most likely of the first year players to debut. Thought he played well, kicked well and took some nice marks, looks a player.

Hewett - Looks excellent. Could he be better than last year? He's moving very well.

C Curnow - He had a poor game, dropped a lot of marks, just not mentally there in a practice game.

Young - Had a poor game. Hasn't added body strength and gets pushed around by the bigger blokes which I'm disappointed with. He's going to have to do better than that, wasn't a good game but hopefully he builds into the season as we need him playing well.

Ed Curnow - Thought he played ok but I couldn't get a grasp in his position or game time.

Honey - He did some nice things but I don't think he was out there long.

Saad - Didn't really let go, did some nice things later in the game, just in practice match gear.

Mirkov - He can jump in the ruck but that's it, he's a long way away.

What I liked:
Ball winning ability and contested play was pretty good. Plenty of individual goal kickers. Our ball movement looked to be ok, better in the first half. Ball movement was great early. Late in the game we were able to get the ball inside a bit and to the opposite of the ground where the space was. We used our wingmen well I thought.

What I didn't like:
There was an enormous amount of intercept marks being taken by Collingwood defenders. It's been a Carlton problem for years now. It's got a lot to do with poor disciplined long kicks. Long kicks that aren't to anyone, aren't to advantage or are to 2 on ones. Too much long kicking and poor quality long kicks.

Leaving the back of the stoppages open. Often there are 1-3 lose Collingwood players at the back end of stoppages allowing them to handball out and go forward without any pressure. Just takes one quicker player to go in there and apply a bit of pressure. This mistake was happening all day, poor coaching if it's deliberate, it takes away our intercept game down the field.

Our strengths:
Body strength around the ball looks good, our tackling and our contested ball looks good. Midfield looks strong. A lot of smart footy brains in the team, we were able to win the ball back a lot in the midfield which was good. Tall forwards look dangerous as do some of our smalls. Our top end talent is very good and it shows.

Weakness:
Thought we looked slow on the outside. I know that's compared to them and that's their strength but we are missing a few outside players and half back dashers and it showed. Intercept marking in defence was poor, compared to them, they took an enormous amount. We missed our third and fourth tall defenders who can intercept mark, we missed a bit of run from behind the play as the game went on. We also didn't appear to have huge rotations through the centre.

Notable absentees:

Williams, McGovern, Marchbank, Martin, Owies, Durdin, Walsh, Pittonet, Cuningham, Boyd and Cottrell. All missing and it really showed. Intercept marking, defensive rebound, run and speed, a ruck who can impact in the air and at the contest, forward line pressure and ground level speed. All these aspects these players bring was noticeable missing so it will be good to bring some of them back into the side soon.

It was definitely a positive hitout considering we could still win a game with a lot missing so good signs there.

Cincotta - Wasn't involved in a massive way but when he was he was good. He can run, kick, compete and he's not short of confidence. Potential to grow and improve there.

Silvagni - expected to see him play higher but he played deeper. Thought he missed a couple he should have kicked. Need him to nail those. Otherwise he was good. He seemed to take a much bigger opponent at times which is not ideal for him.

Motlop - Looks primed for a good season, just a smart player who gets to the right spot and uses it.

O'Brien - He was good, kept his width and when we used him he finished for us.

Cerra - On the ball mostly in the first half, then was he used at half back? Perhaps swapped with Docherty? He was great on the ball.

Kennedy - Fit strong and excellent. Great skills.

Cripps - Was really good.

McKay - Excellent.

DeKoning - The best and the worse. Taking big marks and playing well went to dropping marks and missing goals. Needs to tidy those things up.

Acrea - Excellent recruit, full package winger.

Hollands - He will be a good player but I am not convinced he is ready for senior footy yet. Did some nice things but needs to keep building.

Docherty - Wasn't that taken with his midfield game, thought he was ok without setting the world on fire, he will get better and is better, we know that so no worries there, he looks fit.

Plowman - Thought he was good, he just moves at a slower speed to high paced senior footballers, smart enough to get around it most of the time, he's a known quantity who played solidly without setting the world on fire. We have better options, we know that but he proved he can play at a decent level.

Weitering - Very solid, didn't tear the game apart, just got through I feel.

Newman - Feel he's going to be really important with our injuries in defence.

Fisher - Thought he was good without seeing his best. He was probably heavily minded.

Cowan - Looks the most likely of the first year players to debut. Thought he played well, kicked well and took some nice marks, looks a player.

Hewett - Looks excellent. Could he be better than last year? He's moving very well.

C Curnow - He had a poor game, dropped a lot of marks, just not mentally there in a practice game.

Young - Had a poor game. Hasn't added body strength and gets pushed around by the bigger blokes which I'm disappointed with. He's going to have to do better than that, wasn't a good game but hopefully he builds into the season as we need him playing well.

Ed Curnow - Thought he played ok but I couldn't get a grasp in his position or game time.

Honey - He did some nice things but I don't think he was out there long.

Saad - Didn't really let go, did some nice things later in the game, just in practice match gear.

Mirkov - He can jump in the ruck but that's it, he's a long way away.

Just on Kennedy, getting conflicting stories, plenty saying he was slow and labored, looked like 2021 Kennedy??

Personally we won’t beat the Pies in the season with 3 bulls playing in the middle as the Pies play 1/2 players 10-15 meters off the back of the contest who have genuine speed and can kick. We need to close these players faster or our intercept game is shot to pieces. George and Crippa are our 1,2 punch and then we need speed…

Round 1 will give us this issue as well, tigers looked very slick and quick through the middle…

Sounds like Ruby's on a pack a day with that voice. Did she come straight from the Pokies ???
This. So many people annoyed by her talking about Collingwood all day, but I was more concerned by the sound she makes. Sounds like two cats fighting on a tin roof.

Just on Kennedy, getting conflicting stories, plenty saying he was slow and labored, looked like 2021 Kennedy??

Personally we won’t beat the Pies in the season with 3 bulls playing in the middle as the Pies play 1/2 players 10-15 meters off the back of the contest who have genuine speed and can kick. We need to close these players faster or our intercept game is shot to pieces. George and Crippa are our 1,2 punch and then we need speed…

Round 1 will give us this issue as well, tigers looked very slick and quick through the middle…

Think that's countered by them wanting to play Mitchell and Adams, effectively taking away another runner, 2 if you consider Adams was missing in the last game.

And it wasn't like we didn't have chances to seal the game in the last qtr

While I also prefer more speed, it's still more about speed and security of ball movement

If you wanted to see slow and laboured yesterday then look no further than Tom Mitchell…

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Practice Match v Collingwood Friday 24th Feb 11.00am @ Princes Park

Remove this Banner Ad

Back