Pre-season 2022.

Remove this Banner Ad

Geez Josh Rachelle looks good. Hope we didn’t make a boo-boo taking Andrew instead. Time will tell.

Yeah. However Rachele will play for the SUNS one day. Give it time

I like answers 2 and 15. And heard from a few of the local shepparton boys he was hoping to be drafted to the SUNS

Also, we might have a few players who could be looking for trades to Adelaide ;):cool:
But he does a girlfriend looking for a job on the GC? 😉

I like answers 2 and 15. And heard from a few of the local shepparton boys he was hoping to be drafted to the SUNS

Also, we might have a few players who could be looking for trades to Adelaide ;)

I thought he signed on with Adelaide in the past few weeks for a few extra years.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I thought he signed on with Adelaide in the past few weeks for a few extra years.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Did.

Adelaide has secured two of its most promising young draftees until at least 2025 with Josh Rachele and Jake Soligo extending their contracts ahead of their first AFL season.

Until 2025

Hey there

Sorry to intrude. I'm on board the Suns as my second team this season. Quite a few on the Swans board are doing the same.

Just surprised at the lack of love for Fiorini on here? Where is he placed? I have him as one of the first 10 picked. What am i missing?
(I also have him in fantasy alongside Rowell and Witts).

Hey there

Sorry to intrude. I'm on board the Suns as my second team this season. Quite a few on the Swans board are doing the same.

Just surprised at the lack of love for Fiorini on here? Where is he placed? I have him as one of the first 10 picked. What am i missing?
He is serviceable without being great. Played well last season after a few seasons of stagnating. I've probably been his biggest critic but he is (at the moment) a best 22 player. Just think he is a touch slow and can be lacklustre with his disposal and defensive work but there was definite improvement in that last season.

Hey there

Fantasy wise, he’s our 4th best mid after Touk Ando and Rowell. Will get his opportunity this year. Starts slow because he starts on the bench every game but links up well and just knows how to get into areas of the ground to get +6s, also happy to get his hands dirty. Expecting the same output again.

Swallow now playing half back also

He is serviceable without being great. Played well last season after a few seasons of stagnating. I've probably been his biggest critic but he is (at the moment) a best 22 player. Just think he is a touch slow and can be lacklustre with his disposal and defensive work but there was definite improvement in that last season.
I actually liked him against Cats. He looks in his best shape, trimmed a bit, run pretty well and improved his speed a bit (worked on it in off-season), even his kicks looked better (less loopy). He also seems more confident, organized team and was tackling well. I may have to apologize to him. Best 22 for now for me too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

re: Fiorini. I can live with a slowish midfielder, although good to see he is working on a recognised weakness.

It was the 35m kicks off one step that took 5 seconds to reach the target and subsequently got turned over that was the absolute killer. I think a bit more power and speed work will help with punchier kicks as well.

He is pretty good in the contest, clean with the ball on the ground, composed in traffic so definitely has his positives.

Hey there

Just my take...

We have a clear fab four in Witts Touk Rowell Anderson, with Ellis and Sharp on the wings (Atkins the replacement winger). behind the fab four we have Fiorini, Swallow, Davies, Flanders and Hollands. I think Fiorini is probably the best pure midfielder of that group (right now) but who is the best mid/hf? Fiorini doesn't seem to be the most damaging with his possessions, not much of a goal kicker so unless he is racking up numbers he might be in trouble.

Having said that, Rowell and Anderson are still only 21 and 20 years old, so it's going to be crucial that they are well backed up and so I think Fiorini will be an extremely important player for us until one of the younger guys can knock him off.

I am also in the camp that pre-season results mean basically nothing. We trashed Cats in 2020 by 60-70 points and how did Suns and Cats go in that year? Only recently after girls were trashed by Lions in pre-season game people who are now optimistic about boys season expressed view that pre-season games mean nothing.

Just different opinions, nobody is putting anybody down.

I do think pre-season games are important for teams. Especially now when basically teams have only 2 games to prepare for round 1. Teams focus on executing new parts of plans, getting match fitness, manage some players, give opportunity to players on the fringe and so on.

Just some Cats game observations from me.

As a team, players looked to me in good physical shape, most boys turned into men (almost). They maintained pressure, contest, work rate and run hard for most of the game. It will be interesting to see how we cope with real pressure during actual games as we struggled under pressure last year.

Witts back is huge. He looked better than I expected. One could see how midfield benefited from his presence. He still mis-timed some jumps but man I hope he plays regularly and well.

Atkins was not actually bad. He will be OK. He looks in much better shape. Still Sharp ahead of Atkins for me :D

Defence looked switched on.

Ballard looks gold.

Weller and Powell are a great combo.

Not totally sold on Swallow down back. I feel he still blasts ball too much, like Ellis.

I believe Graham is not far off Collins regarding strength. He will make it. He mis-timed some spoils but now I almost want Collins, Ballard, Graham facing Eagles.

Thompson is a great story. I hope it continues. I suspect still some way to go before he plays AFL.

Happy for Ainsworth finally converting set-shots. He runs hard but some I50 kicks were to nobody. I blame it on slippery ball :)

Casboult was better compared to Port game. He draws attention from defence as he has a contested mark. His bash and crash worked, small forwards benefited from crumbs, several goals followed spoils. Just don’t kill Chol, spread guys. I would expect Day playing a similar role.

Chol surprised me. He looks decent. Hopefully, he is durable.

Lukosius showed promise forward. That pass to Chol was special.

Miller continues his last year form. He could still clean up some kicks. Running 2-way machine.

Rowell looks like he is almost back.

Anderson getting better. Just needs to convert goal opportunities.

I love Holman but man was he fumbly. Again slippery ball.

I don't really understand constant criticism of Rankine. Just pre-season game and he was actually not bad. I suspect his style irritates some fans and when he makes stupid mistake like that 50m penalty or misses relatively easy set shot people go after him. Re-watching the game, Rankine’s deliveries around the ground, I50 were elite. I hope we get him more into these delivery positions. He went a couple of time inside and did well. He was not lazy, covered ground.

I believe we got a decent depth. Substitutes Sexton, Flanders played well. If Thompson stays healthy, he still got it. Moyle is already better than Smith last year. Corbett, Burgess, Budarick, Jeffrey, Hollands, Markov, Farrar waiting in the wing. Sharp, Day, Bowes coming back.

Let’s defining season starts. Dew job on the line. Key players to re-sign. Age and experience profile changing. We should start climbing the ladder. I am still pissed off we lost King. 10 wins for me. Probably missing on finals. Hope Dew stays.

Last edited:
I am also in the camp that pre-season results mean basically nothing. We trashed Cats in 2020 by 60-70 points and how did Suns and Cats go in that year? Only recently after girls were thrashed by Lions in pre-season game people who are now optimistic about boys season expressed view that pre-season games mean nothing.

Just different opinions, nobody is putting anybody down.

I do think pre-season games are important for teams. Especially now when basically teams have only 2 games to prepare for round 1. Teams focus on executing new parts of plans, getting match fitness, manage some players, give opportunity to players on the fringe and so on.

Just some Cats game observations from me.

As a team, players looked to me in good physical shape, most boys turned into men (almost). They maintained pressure, contest, work rate and run hard for most of the game. It will be interesting to see how we cope with real pressure during actual games as we struggled under pressure last year.

Witts back is huge. He looked better than I expected. One could see how midfield benefited from his presence. He still mis-timed some jumps but man I hope he plays regularly and well.

Atkins was not actually bad. He will be OK. He looks in much better shape. Still Sharp ahead of Atkins for me :D

Defence looked switched on.

Ballard looks gold.

Weller and Powell are a great combo.

Not totally sold on Swallow down back. I feel he still blasts ball too much, like Ellis.

I believe Graham is not far off Collins regarding strength. He will make it. He mis-timed some spoils but now I almost want Collins, Ballard, Graham facing Eagles.

Thompson is a great story. I hope it continues. I suspect still some way to go before he plays AFL.

Happy for Ainsworth finally converting set-shots. He runs hard but some I50 kicks were to nobody. I blame it on slippery ball :)

Casboult was better compared to Port game. He draws attention from defence as he has a contested mark. His bash and crash worked, small forwards benefited from crumbs, several goals followed spoils. Just don’t kill Chol, spread guys. I would expect Day playing a similar role.

Chol surprised me. He looks decent. Hopefully, he is durable.

Lukosius showed promise forward. That pass to Chol was special.

Miller continues his last year form. He could still clean up some kicks. Running 2-way machine.

Rowell looks like he is almost back.

Anderson getting better. Just needs to convert goal opportunities.

I love Holman but man was he fumbly. Again slippery ball.

I don't really understand constant criticism of Rankine. Just pre-season game and he was actually not bad. I suspect his style irritates some fans and when he makes stupid mistake like that 50m penalty or misses relatively easy set shot people go after him. Re-watching the game, Rankine’s deliveries around the ground, I50 were elite. I hope we get him more into these delivery positions. He went a couple of time inside and did well. He was not lazy, covered ground.

I believe we got a decent depth. Substitutes Sexton, Flanders played well. If Thompson stays healthy, he still got it. Moyle is already better than Smith last year. Corbett, Burgess, Budarick, Jeffrey, Hollands, Markov, Farrar waiting in the wing. Sharp, Day, Bowes coming back.

Let’s defining season starts. Dew job on the line. Key players to re-sign. Age and experience profile changing. We should start climbing the ladder. I am still pissed off we lost King. 10 wins for me. Probably missing on finals. Hope Dew stays.

Agree with a lot of what you say.
Disagree with the Rankine assessment though.
When he has the ball - he is elite. Always finds team mates. Beautiful kick inside 50. He looked much better when higher up the ground and more involved in the play late in the game.

I suspect the lack of forward line continuity and the ball movement style / tactics are not particularly favourable for him when playing as a pure crumbing small forward.
But to me, he just doesn't make this situation work as well as it could and should. The missed set shot was abhorrent for someone of his class and skill - took it half arsed and stuffed up a shot he should be making 99/100. He has done that at meaningful times in proper games as well.
You've got to take all of the easy chances and 50% of the difficult chances to really thrive as an opportunist small forward.

He's only 21 and played 30 games - will continue to improve. I just wish he did more.

When he has the ball - he is elite. Always finds team mates. Beautiful kick inside 50. He looked much better when higher up the ground and more involved in the play late in the game.

I suspect the lack of forward line continuity and the ball movement style / tactics are not particularly favourable for him when playing as a pure crumbing small forward.
But to me, he just doesn't make this situation work as well as it could and should. The missed set shot was abhorrent for someone of his class and skill - took it half arsed and stuffed up a shot he should be making 99/100. He has done that at meaningful times in proper games as well.
You've got to take all of the easy chances and 50% of the difficult chances to really thrive as an opportunist small forward.

He's only 21 and played 30 games - will continue to improve. I just wish he did more.
Yes, Izak should make that shot. So should another 7 players in 2nd quarter. Calling it abhorrent or half arsed seems to me very subjective and unfair.

FWIW, I believe Izak is not a typical small forward. IMO, in the end he will end up playing significant minutes in midfield.

Last edited:
Yes, Izak should make that shot. So should aother 7 players in 2nd quarter. Calling it abhorrent or half arsed seems to me very subjective and unfair.

FWIW, I believe Izak is not a typical small forward. IMO, in the end he will end up playing significant minutes in midfield.
Yes finishing was terrible from multiple players.

Of course it's subjective.
As are literally all of our player assessments.
I didn't see any routine that would give me confidence he will kick this. You watch Jeremy Cameron - does the same thing and kicks the goal every time (except that right foot shot)

This twitter bot uses AFL GPS data and scoring shot assessment to determine expected goals etc..
Izak last year missed quite a few ones he is expected to kick.

Agree with this, always feel with Rankine he just needs to concentrate on doing the simple stuff well, and the rest takes care of itself. With Casboult and Chol in the forward line this season there should be more opportunity for Rankine to crumb, Casboult especially is very competitive in the air.

Goal kicking in general in the AFL is so weird. Most of these blokes can hit a teammate on the chest off a step from 45 metres, but put them 35 metres out straight in front and it gets hard suddenly. Don't understand why more don't just take 3-4 steps then kick, rather than the long run up.

Agree with this, always feel with Rankine he just needs to concentrate on doing the simple stuff well, and the rest takes care of itself. With Casboult and Chol in the forward line this season there should be more opportunity for Rankine to crumb, Casboult especially is very competitive in the air.

Goal kicking in general in the AFL is so weird. Most of these blokes can hit a teammate on the chest off a step from 45 metres, but put them 35 metres out straight in front and it gets hard suddenly. Don't understand why more don't just take 3-4 steps then kick, rather than the long run up.

and look at a member of the crowd to kick it to.

Remove this Banner Ad

Pre-season 2022.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back