Training Pre Season '24

Remove this Banner Ad

India Pale Ale

When the Poms ruled India they sent beer by ship. To make it last they added extra hops. Produced a more bitter and fuller tasting beer. Compared to a standard larger (XXXX etc) is like comparing tomato sauce to chilli sauce.

IPAs became the beer focused on by craft breweries. So they became super sexy and often garbage compared to a good straight IPA (try Bentspoke Crankshaft, voted Australia's best beer multiple times).

Anyway, an IPA should be powerful and in your face (to some extent). A mid strength IPA is like being half pregnant.
Thanks for the explanation much appreciated

The AFL Old Boys Club can make the rules to fine the GOAT for not talking in after match interviews with media...
But they canna prevent the GOAT from straight batting each media question, with...I am only here to avoid a fine...

Was passing by PRO today saw the boys were training and since I had a tiny bit of time up my sleeve, decided to stop by for about half an hour.

All of Martin, Prestia, Lynch, Bauer, Grimes and Cumberland were running laps and then into the rehab group for some individual training away from the main group. Dusty, Prestia, Lynch and Bauer were running their laps at a decent intensity but Grimes and Cumbo were noticeably moving at a slower pace. Coulthard joined the rehab group once they started some drills, and Naismith also broke away from the main group to do some running on his own. Grimes went back to running laps while the rest of the rehab group kept training.

As for the main group, I was only there for warm-up drills so not too much juicy stuff to report but I'll give it a go.

-Boys were in groups of about 10 all over the ground, the group infront of me were doing a handball drill were they were working through some pressure with handball. Must say, the lads infront of me were a little sloppy, missing targets either short or a little long. Again it was a warm-up so I'd say most likely everyone still switching on and warming up!

-Then they went into a drill which was a stoppage at half-forward, they had to work their way through the congestion and find someone on the outside who would kick to a forward I50. Again it was pretty cruisy as it was still a warm-up (I think at least and it said as much on the big screen). Judson Clarke looked silky in this drill, nice skills were on display. Dow also was notable for hitting the target a few times. Skills definitely improved during this drill.

Unfortunately that's all the time I had, so I didn't catch any match-sim or whole ground drills.

I saw Josh Gibcus in civvies the other day. That guy is skinny AF. Any thoughts we have about him holding down a key defender position this year are optimistic at best. I like the kid and I think he'll be a player, but Steven May he aint.
Gibcus was never projected to be a May type. Anyone who has this expectation for him needs to readjust. He is an intercepting defender. Completely different type of player.

I hear the comments re: Gibcus vs May. It was a bit flippant. Sorry for the confusion it caused.

My point was that we shouldn't expect Gibcus to be our 2nd tall defender. I've always seen Lever at the #2 guy at the Demons. He usually takes a pretty dangerous matchup for them (e.g. he usually takes Charlie Curnow). There is no way that Gibcus could do that without another 5kg (at least).

If Gibcus is our 3rd tall defender, it will be Balta, Miller, Young fighting it out for the #1 and #2 spots. Any other candidates?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hear the comments re: Gibcus vs May. It was a bit flippant. Sorry for the confusion it caused.

My point was that we shouldn't expect Gibcus to be our 2nd tall defender. I've always seen Lever at the #2 guy at the Demons. He usually takes a pretty dangerous matchup for them (e.g. he usually takes Charlie Curnow). There is no way that Gibcus could do that without another 5kg (at least).

If Gibcus is our 3rd tall defender, it will be Balta, Miller, Young fighting it out for the #1 and #2 spots. Any other candidates?
No need to apologise, sorry if I came across blunt.

Lever is a much better comparison for Gibcus. In 2022, Gib was absolutely used as that #2 defender with Balta doing the grunt work at FB. A role I feel he did a pretty good job at despite some minor bumps across the season (expected for a rookie). This year I would expect similar with Balta being replaced with Young.

You are completely right that he is still skinny. But I reckon he’s already started making some great progress towards building up his strength and size. Ultimately he will always be a somewhat slender player but his speed and jumping ability will be his best weapon. If he can get to Lever’s level then we are set defensively for the next decade imo. Fingers crossed 🤞

ANY CHANCE OF SOME GOD DAMN MATCH SIM?!?!

Or are we going to play cute little games like that footy/cricket one they've been playing in groups of 10 for the whole pre-season?
It is annoying, on what we have seen so far it looks more like the boys are on holidays than trying to make amends for the past few seasons.

Broad could do it if needed but not ideal
Prefer we let the young bucks fight it out

Exactly. Young will take the May/Astbury role.
Big shoes to fill...... May and Big Dave are/were very very good overhead and good negators and pretty good once it hit in the ground

If Balta/Young/Gibcus can reach 75% Rance/Asbury/Grimes level...?!?

I can sniff another flag

"the dusty rule" with buddy gone who else is this rule going to even apply to?

First game of the year watch the 30 odd media dogs all run onto the ground to try and interview Dusty like if he just kicked 100 goals.

When Dusty refuses watch the media light up X (Twitter) with opinion pieces as how disrespectful it was that Dusty didnt answer their "Are you moving to the gold coast" questions.

AFL will come out and Dusty will be the 1st person and only person fined by the AFL all season.

🖕

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Training Pre Season '24

Remove this Banner Ad

Back