Review Preliminary Final, 2024 - Geelong vs. Brisbane Lions

Who were your five best players against Geelong?

• [1] Kai Lohmann

• [3] Joe Daniher

• [4] Callum Ah Chee

• [5] Josh Dunkley

• [6] Hugh McCluggage

• [7] Jarrod Berry

• [8] Will Ashcroft

• [9] Lachie Neale

• [13] Logan Morris

• [15] Dayne Zorko

• [16] Cam Rayner

• [23] Charlie Cameron

• [26] Conor McKenna (sub)

• [28] Jaspa Fletcher

• [30] Eric Hipwood

• [31] Harris Andrews

• [33] Zac Bailey

• [35] Ryan Lester

• [37] Brandon Starcevich

• [40] Jack Payne

• [43] Noah Answerth

• [44] Darcy Wilmot

• [46] Oscar McInerney

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Every single player did their job, may and then some but just want to give a couple of shout outs:

Morris - Unbelievably, we have found our Johnathon Brown 2.0 - how well did he stand up under pressure - he loves the contest, has a lot of mongrel in him, never takes a backward step
Wilmott - That mark midway through the fourth just lifted everyone - his speed and eyes up play is freakish for his age
Fletcher - He isn't a big possession winner and honestly, with Marshall and LAshcroft coming, he's under pressure to keep his spot next year but man, he just kept bobbing up when the ball was needed to be won, so composed
Lohmann - This kid is built for the big game, he LOVES the big moments, just thrives under pressure - what a gem he has turned out to be, has a massive career in front of him but just so composed and works his butt off all game, every game
WAshcroft - With all the Daicos love in the VFL media, he really goes under the radar but the reality is, losing him and Payne cost us last year's flag, he is such a massive part of our midfield, he allows Neale and Dunkley to be freed up OR take over if they are locked up, gives us so much - we have them both this year
Answerth - He has made a huge difference to our defense because with him and Starc, we have two blokes who hit and stick - his disposal improvement is ridiculous and he makes more tackles than everyone, he is critically to our side and gets no credit for it...except from his coach who sees and appreciates
Ah Chee - Same as above, he has been HUGE this finals series, has stepped up about 5 levels and has unlocked Charlie - these two are completely in sync
Rayner - That second half last night will be the time we look back and say, yep he finally arrived and boy didn't he do so - he has been ridiculed so much in the VFL media but has been threatening this all year, for him to step up and seal it - just wow
Payne - He looked to be moving so much more freely and we as a side are so much better for it because he unlocks Andrews and we need that - that last ditch tackle, on one leg characterises this side, that kind of play by someone out on their feet both metaphorically and physically lifts the entire team

What a game, what a team. Whatever happens, happens but we are in the best position we have been for two decades to take this thing, self belief trumps everything and we have it in spades.

Tried to watch the footy show for some highlights.They spent the first 10 minutes talking about themselves then Nathan Brown seriously g stated that McLuggage should be fined for staging over the Dangerfield tackle and that his head didn't hit the ground.I turned off as I was losing brain cells
That was such a stupid thing to say. Do these guys just want publicity/controversy ?

On the basis of similar incidents this year Danger should get 2-3 but tipping a fine because Clug got straight up and it's Danger.

A big factor in where we are has been role players like Ah Chee and Lester becoming weapons in finals .Some of Cal's goal assist handballs are Polly Farmer like and Froggy plays every game like it's his last with no fear.

Every single player did their job, may and then some but just want to give a couple of shout outs:

Morris - Unbelievably, we have found our Johnathon Brown 2.0 - how well did he stand up under pressure - he loves the contest, has a lot of mongrel in him, never takes a backward step
Wilmott - That mark midway through the fourth just lifted everyone - his speed and eyes up play is freakish for his age
Fletcher - He isn't a big possession winner and honestly, with Marshall and LAshcroft coming, he's under pressure to keep his spot next year but man, he just kept bobbing up when the ball was needed to be won, so composed
Lohmann - This kid is built for the big game, he LOVES the big moments, just thrives under pressure - what a gem he has turned out to be, has a massive career in front of him but just so composed and works his butt off all game, every game
WAshcroft - With all the Daicos love in the VFL media, he really goes under the radar but the reality is, losing him and Payne cost us last year's flag, he is such a massive part of our midfield, he allows Neale and Dunkley to be freed up OR take over if they are locked up, gives us so much - we have them both this year
Answerth - He has made a huge difference to our defense because with him and Starc, we have two blokes who hit and stick - his disposal improvement is ridiculous and he makes more tackles than everyone, he is critically to our side and gets no credit for it...except from his coach who sees and appreciates
Ah Chee - Same as above, he has been HUGE this finals series, has stepped up about 5 levels and has unlocked Charlie - these two are completely in sync
Rayner - That second half last night will be the time we look back and say, yep he finally arrived and boy didn't he do so - he has been ridiculed so much in the VFL media but has been threatening this all year, for him to step up and seal it - just wow
Payne - He looked to be moving so much more freely and we as a side are so much better for it because he unlocks Andrews and we need that - that last ditch tackle, on one leg characterises this side, that kind of play by someone out on their feet both metaphorically and physically lifts the entire team

What a game, what a team. Whatever happens, happens but we are in the best position we have been for two decades to take this thing, self belief trumps everything and we have it in spades.
And it’s the lesser names that have stepped up. The performances last week and this week have been so even spread across the team. All players have taken their moments.

Cleary ended up getting the tears he was fishing for from the opening question. What a campaigner.
Yep... I'm going to keep punching you in the sore spot to you break.

Bez is someone who gives his heart and soul to the club and people around him... It was painful to watch and it was unnecessary from Cleary

On SM-G996B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Tried to watch the footy show for some highlights.They spent the first 10 minutes talking about themselves then Nathan Brown seriously g stated that McLuggage should be fined for staging over the Dangerfield tackle and that his head didn't hit the ground.I turned off as I was losing brain cells
Possibly the dumbest statement you are like to hear - a fine for staging after Dangerfield slammed him into he ground. Where do they find these blokes seriously ! Has to be some better options out there? Just because he got up didn't mean it wasn't a poor sling tackle.

I thought Channel 7’s fly on the wall documentary “Tomahawk and Tuohy Watch a Game of Footy” was really good last night. The occasional brief glimpses of the actual football match really brought it to life.

I thought Channel 7’s fly on the wall documentary “Tomahawk and Tuohy Watch a Game of Footy” was really good last night. The occasional brief glimpses of the actual football match really brought it to life.

Don’t forget the cameo part from Max Holmes. I thought he provided a good alternative storyline to Tomahawk and Tuohy.

There's a moment in the 3rd with about 17:00 to go that I love. Dunkley sprints 40-50 metres from the centre to the wing to wrap up Bowes HTB, sends it inside 50 and Ah Chee goals.
How he covered the ground to make that tackle I still don't know, but without that inspired effort they were away.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A big week for the boys
Flying back as soon as they could after the game
I assume flying down to Melbourne sometime Thursday.
GF parade, then the GF
Brownlow medal Monday

Somewhere in that timeframe some recovery and training
I wish the AFL would change the Brownlow to sometime in the preseason bye. That's unlikely though.

There's a moment in the 3rd with about 17:00 to go that I love. Dunkley sprints 40-50 metres from the centre to the wing to wrap up Bowes HTB, sends it inside 50 and Ah Chee goals.
How he covered the ground to make that tackle I still don't know, but without that inspired effort they were away.
I think he ran didn’t he?

7 minutes left in the 3rd the ump missed the most obvious ruck infringement free in our forward pocket. Dunks and Stanley were the nominated rucks, some other Geelong player engaged Dunks, Stanley took it out of the ruck and cleared the defensive 50

How do the umps miss this?
Saw it at the time and was absolutely spewing. I felt that Dunkley should've made a much bigger deal of it.

We did get one back when Dangerfield took the tap because I think he nominated but then Daniher engaged with Stanley or whoever it was.

Saw it at the time and was absolutely spewing. I felt that Dunkley should've made a much bigger deal of it.

We did get one back when Dangerfield took the tap because I think he nominated but then Daniher engaged with Stanley or whoever it was.

Makes me wonder if this could be used as a tactic. Random mid quietly nominates for the ruck in front of a loud crowd

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Preliminary Final, 2024 - Geelong vs. Brisbane Lions

Back