C Section Prem C - 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

He means Old Ivanhoe, their recruiting has been excellent
Exactly Oldtimer we haven't been able to take a trick in the past few seasons 😝.

We will keep plugging away though and hopefully you guys will stop pinching them 😉😂

Good luck this year the list is looking good at the cave!

Chump 🏆

Clubbies for a season. Have to.
As Mentone OGs look like following the same route as Chadstone, St Johns and possibly Westbourne (there could have been others; the VAFA has cast the dye), will either Kew or Glen Eira be asked to step up?
If Mentone are pampered and allowed to remain in 'C', will they tumble?

As Mentone OGs look like following the same route as Chadstone, St Johns and possibly Westbourne (there could have been others; the VAFA has cast the dye), will either Kew or Glen Eira be asked to step up?
Smart money on a bye. 20 games in 2022 so 16 in 2023.

Glen Eira would
Kew would not

Chump 🏆

If Mentone don't play, would anyone be asked to come up from D1 if fixtures have been published? l doubt it. Mentone will do their best to get players right up until Round 1, if unsuccessful by then it would be too late to as others to come up and make changes to fixture.
Just have a bye, 16 rounds.

If Mentone don't play, would anyone be asked to come up from D1 if fixtures have been published? l doubt it. Mentone will do their best to get players right up until Round 1, if unsuccessful by then it would be too late to as others to come up and make changes to fixture.
Just have a bye, 16 rounds.
Too late to bring anyone up from D1, a tough ask really!
C grade going from 11 teams to 9 this year!
I do know for a fact that Old Mentone had spoken with Parkdale Re merger and turned down unfortunately!

Too late to bring anyone up from D1, a tough ask really!
C grade going from 11 teams to 9 this year!
I do know for a fact that Old Mentone had spoken with Parkdale Re merger and turned down unfortunately!
Why don’t they do something left field and play Old Mentone in the seniors of C grade and another stand alone 1s club (from clubbies) eg: St John’s, Chadstone etc in the Reserves of C grade. Keeps the grade filled at 10 in both seniors & reserves. Just an idea!

Why don’t they do something left field and play Old Mentone in the seniors of C grade and another stand alone 1s club (from clubbies) eg: St John’s, Chadstone etc in the Reserves of C grade. Keeps the grade filled at 10 in both seniors & reserves. Just an idea!
That would make sense and test the Clubbies teams. They would need to rotate as I'd be very surprised should any clubs allow their third's team to play Premier C Grade Reserves for a full season.
HQ could try it by playing the standalone clubbies, together with the stronger A & B section thirds' sides on a rotation basis, perhaps on a fortnightly basis and a separate premiership (as an aside)??
However, the 'Too Hard Basket' will continue to (full) fill.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What is the reason for Old Mentone losing so many players, is a school with vast resources and a reasonably strong footy culture I would have thought a strong pipeline of players would be coming through, although many of them do end up back at their home club in Beaumauris?

What is the reason for Old Mentone losing so many players, is a school with vast resources and a reasonably strong footy culture I would have thought a strong pipeline of players would be coming through, although many of them do end up back at their home club in Beaumauris?
Didn’t have U19s last year which is critical, too many bigger Clubs around them, players offered money by SFNL teams etc , losing the Home Ground which is disastrous and alot of young guys in general lost interest after CoVid

Didn’t have U19s last year which is critical, too many bigger Clubs around them, players offered money by SFNL teams etc , losing the Home Ground which is disastrous and alot of young guys in general lost interest after CoVid
Interesting, the school team in 2021 was probably the strongest it has ever been, 2 players drafted in Edwards & Owens and then good players like Ollie Moran and the McComb twins who played in a gf at Cheltenham, seems to be a real disconnect between the school and OMFC which is odd because principal Mal Cater is a past player and I thought heavily involved with the club.

Good points by all. The principal left MGS at the end of 2022. I think he may have been fighting a lone battle against the board to continue supporting the football club. As soon as he’s retired, the school board has kicked the club off the playing fields.

I think there’s always been a disconnect due to the low division and limited success of the football club. The lure of playing at their junior clubs (Beaui/St Bedes) who are in A & B sections has always proven too strong for the better players.

That leaves players who haven’t played much junior club footy, only school footy, to come through. And it’s heavily reliant on a big group of mates who want to keep playing together.

Having been involved a decade or so ago, the club has tried every method under the sun to build a strong relationship. But with so many other clubs in the area (who are actually based where these players live), it’s always been a battle.

Great post, playing at Keysy cant help when most students live in Beauy, Black Rock or Mentone, i am not sure the new location is helpful either, there is a mental hurdle crossing the Nepean for anyone that lives beach side. Someone mentioned earlier merging with Parkdale, but perhaps Black Rock who play in the Southern might have been a better alternative.

Great post, playing at Keysy cant help when most students live in Beauy, Black Rock or Mentone, i am not sure the new location is helpful either, there is a mental hurdle crossing the Nepean for anyone that lives beach side. Someone mentioned earlier merging with Parkdale, but perhaps Black Rock who play in the Southern might have been a better alternative.
Interesting idea about joining up with Black Rock who have new club rooms/oval and now in 2nd Division but need U19s long term like any club who wants to survive , another point from 2022 was St Bedes having 3 U19 sides

The area is simply awash with clubs. I know it is not an extravagant distance to travel but the Keysborough playing fields are not the most inviting of locations and most MGS kids live around Mentone, Cheltenham Beaumaris etc. When you line it up against most APS and AGSV schools it has smaller student numbers by comparison.

Hope they can battle through this. Have known a few MGS and OMFC types over the years and always found them to be a really good bunch of blokes.

Old Mentone are done. Those who were loyal are now looking around for new clubs
Sad for all involved.

After a long wet winter in 2022 where the turf on the ovals were churned up so badly, its no surprise that many of the schools are starting to push back against the Old Boys footy clubs. Combine this with the increase in girls footy the schools will need the ovals more. I suspect Mentone Grammar are the first of many of the schools who will push the Old Boys out, which is a shame but perhaps just a reality of the school needing to put their students needs first.

Sad for all involved.

After a long wet winter in 2022 where the turf on the ovals were churned up so badly, its no surprise that many of the schools are starting to push back against the Old Boys footy clubs. Combine this with the increase in girls footy the schools will need the ovals more. I suspect Mentone Grammar are the first of many of the schools who will push the Old Boys out, which is a shame but perhaps just a reality of the school needing to put their students needs first.
Mentone Grammar have no excuse. They have three quality grounds. All different sizes. Seems an odd situation.

Mentone Grammar have no excuse. They have three quality grounds. All different sizes. Seems an odd situation.
They have 11 male teams & 3 girls' teams which is expected to grow, all who need to train and play using the same facilities as the senior team. Many schools have now started playing Friday afternoons to fit it all which then effects the curriculum and then schools are talking about installing lights to play Friday nights. I have kids at Mentone Grammar and work across 2 other AGSV schools and these are real concerns the schools are dealing with.

The wet winter last year has really brought forward concerns around the overuse and cost to maintain the grounds which I am sure was a big part in the reason the school booting out Old Mentonians.

Remove this Banner Ad

C Section Prem C - 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Back