Premiership hangovers

Remove this Banner Ad

TBH, I genuinely find it weird that there aren't more premiership hangovers

I mean s**t, you've just climbed the mountain FFS. Must be very hard to care quite as much as you did 12 months earlier.

It can sometimes depend on the makeup of the side. Pies age profile not entirely dissimilar to Geelong last year.

Dees won their first 10 games of 2022, Richmond only really declined in 2021 when the side was getting older.

Who knows maybe the Pies win their next 10 after this, but they look off the pace from what we have seen so far.

I'm sure someone will have the stat, anyone know which team has had the most number of consecutive losses to start a season after winning the premiership?

I wanna see the Saints tomorrow but 0-4 isn't unreasonable with a trip to the Gabba after the Saints
Collingwood seem to be getting split open by teams that are ruthlessly attacking.

GWS and Sydney both gun it hard.

I doubt St Kilda will fit into that category, so it will be interesting how that pans out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have won the pre-season premiership then won the spoon. Which is the best example I can provide since we don't win actual premierships.
The hangover lasted for two years until we won the pre-season premiership in 2007, then came second-last in home & away. We've been hungover ever since.

? If you're talking about Geelong they were competitive in their opening losses, and everyone expected them to drop off anyway. Pies have just been outplayed from the opening bounce.

Geelong were very efficient against Collingwood and Carlton in their first 2 matches, they’d have lost by more otherwise.

Also most people expected the cats to be right in the mix again, bit of rewriting history to say “everyone” expected them to drop off.

It seems to require clubs finding further inspiration to win more than one.

Big new acquisitions joining, a year down in the dumps etc.

Motivation and a side with the right age profile.

Pies don’t necessarily have a bad age profile, but they do have a lot of older guys who it’s conceivable that last year was their last hurrah, a bit like the cats in 2022.

Motivation and a side with the right age profile.

Pies don’t necessarily have a bad age profile, but they do have a lot of older guys who it’s conceivable that last year was their last hurrah, a bit like the cats in 2022.
Yeah they’ve got a few old blokes nearing the end and their list is fairly similar to last year.

Teams also eventually figure out ways to beat game plans and with how close a lot of the Pies games were the last two years I wouldn’t be shocked if they have a down year.

Very early though.

Geelong were very efficient against Collingwood and Carlton in their first 2 matches, they’d have lost by more otherwise.

Also most people expected the cats to be right in the mix again, bit of rewriting history to say “everyone” expected them to drop off.

At the very least it wasn't that surprising given their age.

Hawthorn 2009 were much more disappointing in their start and how their year went. I expect Collingwood will recover and still make top 4, but their losses have been very decisive.

Remove this Banner Ad

Premiership hangovers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back