Prendergast report

Remove this Banner Ad

PowerOfThePussy

Cancelled
Mar 19, 2003
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Another case of incompetent umpires. When they start bouncing the ball correctly, then and only then will players stop running into them.

What is the bloke supposed to do? Stop and give-way to the umpire? And make sure he looks to the right, left and then to the right again before proceeding to chase the footy.

Cheers
POTP

The report is fair enough in my opinion.

The player in question deviated his line considerably to try and run right around the umpire, who has right of way to reverse in a straight line - every player knows this.

First of all, I will qualify this by saying that I have never played in the ruck, but I would have thought that if you are looking 5 or 10 metres in the air at the footy - the umpire would be very difficult to spot. (Even in their wiggles outfits)

Cheers
POTP

Originally posted by PowerOfThePussy
Another case of incompetent umpires. When they start bouncing the ball correctly, then and only then will players stop running into them.

What is the bloke supposed to do? Stop and give-way to the umpire? And make sure he looks to the right, left and then to the right again before proceeding to chase the footy.

Cheers
POTP
No doubt that will be his defence, if the bounce was straight there wouldn't have been a collision. Personally I think he should get off but I won't even try to guess what the tribunal will do.

Cheers
POTP

The bloke is supposed to run directly at the ball like every other ruckman, not through the umpire.

Most blatant of umpire contact, will get at least 2:rolleyes:

First of all, I will qualify this by saying that I have never played in the ruck, but I would have thought that if you are looking 5 or 10 metres in the air at the footy - the umpire would be very difficult to spot. (Even in their wiggles outfits)

Cheers
POTP
shouldn't be running behind the umpire though. why not come from the other side

Originally posted by essnickess
shouldn't be running behind the umpire though. why not come from the other side

Probably hasnt got the skill to ruck left-handed.

Disagree ..

Prendergast changed his direction once the ball had been bounced, and came in from the side...

Regardless of how good/bad the Umps Bounce the Ball...They ALWAYS back out and leave the area to the same area....

Players KNOW where this area is and Should avoid it

Well obviously I am on my pat malone here, so we will see what the tribunal says.

I would have thought the reason he changed direction was because the bounce was horrible and the natural reaction is to run in a straight line, the shortest possible route, to get to the ball.

Anyway, as I said, we will see what the outcome is at the tribunal.

Cheers
POTP

I would have thought the reason he changed direction was because the bounce was horrible and the natural reaction is to run in a straight line, the shortest possible route, to get to the ball.

He started from behind the umpire. A slightly off centre bounce was guaranteed to put the umpy in the firing line.

Originally posted by hotpie
Probably hasnt got the skill to ruck left-handed.

Prender isn't the greatest of players but against average opposition he can dominate. See his last quarter against the Pies a couple of weeks ago?

As for the topic. Bring on Mott. Prender is no ruckman.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This great game of our is about the players not the umpires. People pay money to see the players.

2 weeks ago the Geelong player was not put up on report as it was stated, that the colission was unavoidable and the umpire ran into the player.

Why was that umpire not susoended??????????

If he's suspended (which I'm expecting, and I'll admit is warranted) then what about the incident a couple of weeks ago where an umpire had his leg broken?

Just another area of the reporting process that is akin to Tattslotto.

WTF was Predergast thinking ?

Everyone knows once the umpire bounces the ball up , he runs backwards away from the contest . What did he think the umpire was going to do - bounce the ball up and run forwards , right between the ruckmen . :rolleyes:

Cheers
POTP
Nothing to do with bouncing the ball properly. He shouldn't of been right behind the umpire in the first place.

If Prentigast had of been concentrating he would have heard Darren Morris say that he was coming out his way. It is as simple as that.

Re: Re: Prendergast report

Originally posted by goaldrush
Nothing to do with bouncing the ball properly. He shouldn't of been right behind the umpire in the first place.

If Prentigast had of been concentrating he would have heard Darren Morris say that he was coming out his way. It is as simple as that.

Prentigast?

I'd say it wasn't a problem hearing the umpire, just a case of Prendergasts making an outright error.
I think it should be a fine or perhaps suspended sentence for accidental contact with an umpire. If it's malicious, then that's another matter all together.

Originally posted by Orangewhip
Prender isn't the greatest of players but against average opposition he can dominate. See his last quarter against the Pies a couple of weeks ago?.

The way we playe that day, Jack Newton could have beaten us left handed.

Re: Re: Re: Prendergast report

Originally posted by Wojee
Prentigast?

I'd say it wasn't a problem hearing the umpire, just a case of Prendergasts making an outright error.
I think it should be a fine or perhaps suspended sentence for accidental contact with an umpire. If it's malicious, then that's another matter all together.
Have another look at the replay. It is reportable and yes he will get a big penalty.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Prendergast report

Originally posted by goaldrush
Have another look at the replay. It is reportable and yes he will get a big penalty.

Where did I say it wasn't reportable? I said he made an error.

I fully expect him to get suspended for it, I'm just suggesting that perhaps there are alternative penalties that could be looked at.

In your haste to constantly defend the umpires I think often you lack basic comprehension skills.

Let's not forget Morris is the same umpire who started this whole song and dance last year when he had a sook about Everitt making contact with him. Expect some evidence about "vicious and forceful" contact.

The problem for Prendergast is unlike some of the reports last year it was a centre bounce so he had plenty of time to get in a position where contact with an umpire was unlikely. Last year a lot of the reports were at bounces around the ground where players were simply caught running to get to the contest.

I'm pretty sure the AFL said earlier in the year these reports would only result in a fine for a first time offence so long as the contact wasn't deliberate. Would seem a fair penalty to me.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Prendergast report

Originally posted by SurreyBlue
Wouldn't say it deserves a big penalty. Let's not get carried away.
We will see about that. He is up tonight.

Remove this Banner Ad

Prendergast report

Remove this Banner Ad

Back