Preseason 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

I notice West is mentioned as forward/mid, I know a few here are of the opinion that he shouldn't be played as a forward. I'm curious as to why that is, I was impressed by his intensity and forward pressure in his first couple of games. Do people think that's not enough? Or do we think he was running on adrenaline from playing his first couple of games.

Oh, look an offical club report on a scratch match.

katyburns-cmforum-092020-ph02

Interesting to note the teams since it was previously mentioned to be "the seniors vs the rest." Richards and JUH not in the senior side.
They may be doing the old Senior team backline vs Senior team forward line and then reserves backline vs reserves fwd line. Let’s you mix up the middle of the ground as much as you want too. Would probably make more sense for a more even contest and is what we’ve done in the past.

who tf knows with bev tho.

Photos of Will Hayes wearing the blue is interesting

Interesting Steven King has intimated we will play Stef and Timmy together most games with Tim spending time forward. I thought Tim also looked good down back as a loose man chopping off marks when he's done that previously.

I would like to know how Jordon Sweet is going. When’s his contract up? Bev seems determined to play every player on the list except him because he’s not quite up to AFL standard or some such . I wasn’t aware that was a prerequisite to getting a game for our fine club. I would like him to have just one little game.

I would like to know how Jordon Sweet is going. When’s his contract up? Bev seems determined to play every player on the list except him because he’s not quite up to AFL standard or some such . I wasn’t aware that was a prerequisite to getting a game for our fine club. I would like him to have just one little game.
He’s contract ends this year he has only been on one year contract’s his been at the club

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They may be doing the old Senior team backline vs Senior team forward line and then reserves backline vs reserves fwd line. Let’s you mix up the middle of the ground as much as you want too. Would probably make more sense for a more even contest and is what we’ve done in the past.

I may annoy some by saying this but I doubt JUH is anywhere close to being in the senior side.

Naughty having a full (sorta) preseason forward is the best news to come out of the club this year imo, praise the f*n lord we’ve kept him forward
Steven King saying we won’t play Dunkley in the ruck again was also pretty welcome news.

And that’s nothing to do with keeping Dunks happy. It just sucked as a stock tactic.

I can't remember who said it and I can't seem to find it now, but I recall reading a quote from a player saying that they were playing "basically seniors vs the rest" or something to that effect. Perhaps I'm making it up :$

Steven King saying we won’t play Dunkley in the ruck again was also pretty welcome news.

And that’s nothing to do with keeping Dunks happy. It just sucked as a stock tactic.
Yep, and that we’re planning on playing both Stef & English. With Naughty and Bruce playing on the same team in the intra it sounds like we’re going to go with the 3 prong Naughty, Bruce & English forward line which I’m stoked about. We need to give this structure time to work, I feel like too often we’re throwing out preseason plans 3 weeks into the season. Let’s be honest it’s probably not gonna gel round 1. Just stick with the set up for a couple of months and see what happens.

I still have doubts about Bruce fitting that 2nd forward foil role but he looks great right now so who knows. Hopefully Schache/JUH start the year in great form in the 2s and put pressure on Bruce to perform

I may annoy some by saying this but I doubt JUH is anywhere close to being in the senior side.
It's easy to get caught up in the hype of having the club's earliest pick in the draft in over a decade, but the reality is that he hardly played any actual footy for his entire draft year. We can't expect someone who essentially didn't play for a year to then walk straight into the senior side. If he did, that's more a reflection on how poor our available 22 (particularly the forward line) is.

I'm fine with waiting a couple months for him to debut. Bont didn't get selected for the first month of his debut season, and ended up impressing very early because we gave him time until he was ready. There's plenty of other young guys pushing hard for selection that will get us through in the meantime. Personally, I'm excited to see West and Weightman back in the seniors. I'm also keen to see if some of the developing talls like Schache, Gardner or Young have anything to offer - if we could get even one of these guys to be a solid contributor in the 22, then we're going alright.

Some serious serious marking power down forward in Naughty, Bruce, English, Wally and even a bit more Bont, who are going to be supplied with an absolute mountain of opportunities from our midfield. Too bad we don’t have a Charlie Cameron or similar to take advantage at ground level, he’d kick 70 in our forward line.

Id be playing JJ there for sure, I’ve seen enough to think he could offer a lot forward, hopefully Richards comes on this year, at the very least could be important defensively up forward. Weightman the surprise packet and even CAV could have a role to play imo. Just need at least two genuine smalls at the feet of those blokes.

Im not really expecting a huge amount of consistency from us playing our best football next year, I think we’re almost there but 2022 is my aim to be at the absolute top of our game. Too many unknowns this year imo, and another year and preseason into key players like Naughty, Tim, JUH and Baz wil be huge.
but I’m expecting us to maul some teams when we’re on this year. Our midfield will be seriously overwhelming for some teams, being on a level playing field from the ruck is a genuine game changer, and I think we’ve finally got just enough firepower up front to take advantage of the midfield dominance more often than we have in the past.

Think tomorrow is the cut off for the list spots, with MacPherson, Preston and Scott still training with the club

Edit: 9th of March

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Preseason 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Back