Training Preseason 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Training notes

Notable absentees: Fyfe

Walking casual laps: Sturt and JOM. Sturt with a small dressing over his left knee from his clean out last week.

Away from the main group: Freddy did some runs and then headed to the gym. Cox did a heap of running. Difficult to see from the far side but it looked like this included Murphy too. Odin Jones was by himself with the trainers but later joined in match sim at the end.

Darcy, Walker, Emmett warmed up with the main group and then peeled away for the more intense main drills. Walker and Darcy look very close to rejoining main training. Both moving well imagine we will see them much more involved after the Christmas break.

A lot of players came in and out of the drills and performed laps or various exercises with trainers. Including Chapman, Johnno, Wagner, Amiss, Stanley, Switta and later Brayshaw. Not sure if this is a new thing for load management and or more tailored programs.

I find it hard to comment too much on drills as it’s not always clear as a spectator what the aim of the exercise is. Also, it’s difficult to focus on everything given they are split into groups and there’s footballs flying everywhere.

My main takeaways from the drills are:
  • Pearce looks markedly more mobile. Doesn’t look like his ankle is going to break every time he takes a kick like stages last year. Didn’t realise the captaincy had been announced while I was watching but if he completes a solid pre season in this shape I think we will see more of 2022 Moose.
  • Young is a midfielder and a damn good one. Trained exclusively in the middle.
  • Aish training with the backs, looks like he’s unlikely to be in the wing mix.
  • Sharp is a gazelle
  • It’ll be a sad day when Sonny retires. Our most vocal trainer and goes full tilt at every drill. Serong a close second. Will captain this club.
  • Tabs appears to be in good shape. I don’t have him in our best 22 but a fit Taberner does wonders for our depth and puts pressure on JJJ to perform.
  • Said this last season but Josh Draper won the genetic lottery. If that translates on field we’ve landed a gem.
  • Likewise, Williams in full training unlike last year. He’s so slight. Good skills, evasive and clever. His frame is the main thing that will hold this kid back.
  • He was in and out of drills but I’m very bullish on Stanley being a good contributor. A real late bloomer, already has a pretty impressive physique and has that explosiveness that sets him apart.
  • Spotted the train ons; Voss for sure and who I believe were Beattie and SVR. None of them really stood out to me. But I may just not have been watching too hard.
  • Delean seems like a character. The sort of extrovert personality that this group may have missed last year with guys like Logue and Acres departing.
  • Simpson reminds me of a prestia/Shiel type.
  • Knobel is bloody tall. Still needs to fill out a lot, I was impressed by some of skills today. Seems like the perfect kid to have developing behind Darcy and Jackson.
  • Johnson must be close to 195cm. Standing next to Amiss there was really no difference in size.
Drills went for about 90 mins or so. Started with some good intensity and the group was really vocal. This did taper off a fair bit.

At about 11am those who stuck around were treated to 2x 15 mins of match sim. The skills are rusty but there was some nice plays and some early insight into positional calls.

Thoughts on match sim
  • Sharp was very involved. Looked like our best winger out there. Also playing wing were NOD, Williams and at one point Chappy (don’t rule that experiment out I suppose)
  • Serong looks set to continue his form in 2024.
  • Young always stands out to me. Was kicking off both feet and his skills are a level above. Played mid.
  • Aish played down back and was handy down there. Perfect bench player can play almost anywhere on field.
  • Amiss took a great contested mark and unselfishly sent backwards, but more central to Serong. Serong nailed the kick but I want to see Amiss take those kicks. Minor gripe.
  • Walters also a highlight in the drills. Sublime kicking and reading of play. I wish we had another 15 years of Sonny. Today highlighted that he’s our most important player that we’ve yet to succession plan for.

Will attempt to pop down mon/weds and put some ramblings on here.
This here was a great ****en post 💪

I also wandered down to training today and it was the meet and greet day for the new draftees parents/partners etc!
Had a quick chat to Odin Jones old man -who recons he’s already grown a couple of cm since the combine-2m and 94 kegs- big lump of a lad.
Have to agree on Moose looks in the best nick for ages.
Pretty full on drills with plenty of willing tackling going on-which looks like a focus for the team.
Driz,Caleb and Young standouts in that department-think Young is going to make a huge difference to our midfield.
Best I’ve seen Chappy for a while-do all drills and match sim so 🤞
Sharp looks to have fitted in seemlessly ,very vocal and can kick more than 35m -will not miss Henry
Liked the look of maxxy Beattie (train on ) was very clean and involved in all drills/match sim-maybe a little undersized but knows how to football
Swaggy still looks a little under done-not sure that ankle is 100% yet.
Clarky is looking good along with Jono -who looks same height as Amiss??

Training notes

Notable absentees: Fyfe

Walking casual laps: Sturt and JOM. Sturt with a small dressing over his left knee from his clean out last week.

Away from the main group: Freddy did some runs and then headed to the gym. Cox did a heap of running. Difficult to see from the far side but it looked like this included Murphy too. Odin Jones was by himself with the trainers but later joined in match sim at the end.

Darcy, Walker, Emmett warmed up with the main group and then peeled away for the more intense main drills. Walker and Darcy look very close to rejoining main training. Both moving well imagine we will see them much more involved after the Christmas break.

A lot of players came in and out of the drills and performed laps or various exercises with trainers. Including Chapman, Johnno, Wagner, Amiss, Stanley, Switta and later Brayshaw. Not sure if this is a new thing for load management and or more tailored programs.

I find it hard to comment too much on drills as it’s not always clear as a spectator what the aim of the exercise is. Also, it’s difficult to focus on everything given they are split into groups and there’s footballs flying everywhere.

My main takeaways from the drills are:
  • Pearce looks markedly more mobile. Doesn’t look like his ankle is going to break every time he takes a kick like stages last year. Didn’t realise the captaincy had been announced while I was watching but if he completes a solid pre season in this shape I think we will see more of 2022 Moose.
  • Young is a midfielder and a damn good one. Trained exclusively in the middle.
  • Aish training with the backs, looks like he’s unlikely to be in the wing mix.
  • Sharp is a gazelle
  • It’ll be a sad day when Sonny retires. Our most vocal trainer and goes full tilt at every drill. Serong a close second. Will captain this club.
  • Tabs appears to be in good shape. I don’t have him in our best 22 but a fit Taberner does wonders for our depth and puts pressure on JJJ to perform.
  • Said this last season but Josh Draper won the genetic lottery. If that translates on field we’ve landed a gem.
  • Likewise, Williams in full training unlike last year. He’s so slight. Good skills, evasive and clever. His frame is the main thing that will hold this kid back.
  • He was in and out of drills but I’m very bullish on Stanley being a good contributor. A real late bloomer, already has a pretty impressive physique and has that explosiveness that sets him apart.
  • Spotted the train ons; Voss for sure and who I believe were Beattie and SVR. None of them really stood out to me. But I may just not have been watching too hard.
  • Delean seems like a character. The sort of extrovert personality that this group may have missed last year with guys like Logue and Acres departing.
  • Simpson reminds me of a prestia/Shiel type.
  • Knobel is bloody tall. Still needs to fill out a lot, I was impressed by some of skills today. Seems like the perfect kid to have developing behind Darcy and Jackson.
  • Johnson must be close to 195cm. Standing next to Amiss there was really no difference in size.
Drills went for about 90 mins or so. Started with some good intensity and the group was really vocal. This did taper off a fair bit.

At about 11am those who stuck around were treated to 2x 15 mins of match sim. The skills are rusty but there was some nice plays and some early insight into positional calls.

Thoughts on match sim
  • Sharp was very involved. Looked like our best winger out there. Also playing wing were NOD, Williams and at one point Chappy (don’t rule that experiment out I suppose)
  • Serong looks set to continue his form in 2024.
  • Young always stands out to me. Was kicking off both feet and his skills are a level above. Played mid.
  • Aish played down back and was handy down there. Perfect bench player can play almost anywhere on field.
  • Amiss took a great contested mark and unselfishly sent backwards, but more central to Serong. Serong nailed the kick but I want to see Amiss take those kicks. Minor gripe.
  • Walters also a highlight in the drills. Sublime kicking and reading of play. I wish we had another 15 years of Sonny. Today highlighted that he’s our most important player that we’ve yet to succession plan for.

Will attempt to pop down mon/weds and put some ramblings on here.
Great report , do you know if training on Monday is at Freo oval 9 AM , i phoned the club but the girl couldn`t tell me (which is a bit poor)

Great for the squad vibe to have Henry replaced with an enthusiastic player that wants to be there, too.
This really can’t be understated. In hindsight I’m glad to see the backs of Lobb and Henry. Homesick I can handle (especially if we get an Amiss out of it) but I’ve got little time for WA boys who just want to be anywhere else than giving their heart and soul for Freo.

I also wandered down to training today and it was the meet and greet day for the new draftees parents/partners etc!
Had a quick chat to Odin Jones old man -who recons he’s already grown a couple of cm since the combine-2m and 94 kegs- big lump of a lad.
Pretty full on drills with plenty of willing tackling going on-which looks like a focus for the team.
Driz,Caleb and Young standouts in that department-think Young is going to make a huge difference to our midfield.
Sharp looks to have fitted in seemlessly ,very vocal and can kick more than 35m -will not miss Henry
Liked the look of maxxy Beattie (train on ) was very clean and involved in all drills/match sim-maybe a little undersized but knows how to football
Johnson and Amiss mentioned in the same sentence.......

So exciting.

Great for the squad vibe to have Henry replaced with an enthusiastic player that wants to be there, too.
This really can’t be understated. In hindsight I’m glad to see the backs of Lobb and Henry. Homesick I can handle (especially if we get an Amiss out of it) but I’ve got little time for WA boys who just want to be anywhere else than giving their heart and soul for Freo.
Couldn’t agree more with these comments. Can only imagine how much tiptoeing and persuading was done by senior club leaders with those two flogs in the last couple of years trying to get them to stay around. Begging them every second week not to leave. Inflating their already large egos even more. I’m not expecting miracles from Sharp but at least the kid’s made a good early impression and is busting a gut to show what he can do and fit in with the rest of the team. Showing enthusiasm and desire to be a part of the clubs future. There’s a hell of a lot to be said for that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree completely with all this. I also thought Beattie looked good showing some real pace at times in drills. Id be surprised if he wasn't added to our list well before the season starts to be honest.
Chapman seemed to spend time training with both the defenders and the mids but looked more like the player in these highlights than he did in the games he played early last season. He seems to have got that bit of burst pace back.

Another player who I thought was super impressive with his kicking linking up play regularly was Corey Wagner. He too spent time with both the mids and back groups. I wouldn't rule him out as another contender to play wing. One of Wagner or Chapman with Johnson and Sharp would be my choices for the wing roles currently with Freddy spending a bit of time rotating there too to allow Johnson to spend time onball. I'd have the player out of Wagner or Chapman that doesn't play wing in the side playing as a defender still though. Both Chapman and Wagner were terrific today in my opinion.

Last edited:
Stanley was one of the many hat wearers that are difficult to spot in main session drills as we have many players around his height and build. Today I noticed Stanley was mostly running laps and not participating in every drill. I'm confident thats not due to injury but rather simply load management as he's doing his first afl preseason.
Stanley has been in the rehab group the few times I have managed to get to training this year. However he has been doing a heap of running. He was injured late last year.

Stanley has been in the rehab group the few times I have managed to get to training this year. However he has been doing a heap of running. He was injured late last year.
Lower back stress fracture wasn’t it. It would be why he is wearing the cap. Smashing out the running and in the drills but the match sim with tackling they would ease him into it.

2d0cf5b8b2760673243753d90554e329.jpg

Someone here saying training is in Freo on Monday?

It's usually Wednesday.

Can anyone confirm?
Someone here saying training is in Freo on Monday?

It's usually Wednesday.

Can anyone confirm?
Usually Mon and Fri Cockburn and wed at freo-not sure about this week?
Little birdie said they were beach training down Cottesloe way today!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Training Preseason 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back