Training Preseason 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

I didn't watch the disaster which was the start of last year and think it was not being fit. The game plan was the bigger problem.

What I am hearing about this pre season which I like is an emphasis on physicality. We are building a big midfield with the capacity to dominate and attack.
You can't implement the required pressure if you aren't fit though

Our pressure was lacking last year

It cannot be understated how important consistent pressure is in the modern game

The big take out from the match sim halves yesterday for me.

Cooper Simpson will be pushing for selection. He has such an aggressive and attacking mind set with some polish to his game. He seems strong too.

Serong should be our captain. He basically leads the team anyway. Brayshaw has leadership traits too. Moose is great in defense but doesn't rally the troops like the other two.

Fyfe has got back to his stoppage game which is great. My only issue is his kicking is poor.

Sharp looks dynamite but he is prone to turnovers.

Cooper Simpson will be pushing for selection. He has such an aggressive and attacking mind set with some polish to his game. He seems strong too.
Loved his draft video highlights, good to hear he's showing more of the same.
Less turnovers than Langdon I hope? You could never question Langdon's work rate, but turnovers can be real momentum killers

I didn't watch the disaster which was the start of last year and think it was not being fit. The game plan was the bigger problem.

What I am hearing about this pre season which I like is an emphasis on physicality. We are building a big midfield with the capacity to dominate and attack.
I don't think it was game plan, I think it was a young team fumbling/poor decision making a lot more than the year before.

The big take out from the match sim halves yesterday for me.

Serong should be our captain. He basically leads the team anyway. Brayshaw has leadership traits too. Moose is great in defense but doesn't rally the troops like the other two.

Fyfe has got back to his stoppage game which is great. My only issue is his kicking is poor.

Interesting in the team photo shoot Pearce on the right and Serong on the left of JL and Brayshaw 2nd on the right and Young 2nd on the left. Maybe I am reading too much into it but looks like Serong is next in line to the captaincy from that positioning.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Serong sounds like the captain in all but name already.
Regardless of what happens in 2024 he should be the club captain from 2025 onwards.
Definitely from an outsiders pov. He’s always the person you see rallying everyone around during games. Can’t remember last time I’ve seen Pearce do it but he must be doing a lot that we can’t see

Article says Sean Darcy had a serious knee injury to end 2023 but I'm pretty sure it was an ankle, am I going crazy or did they get it wrong?
I thought the same. I don’t pay much if any attention to the gossip wrags that are modern journos. I struggle to get past the spelling and grammar issues let alone the content.

With Young and Fyfe in the midfield mix (also Brodie looking solid at training) along with more game time for MJ and Erasmus there will be quite a bit of midfield rotation going on. Switta and JOM moving more into forward (with Schultz gone).
Sure. But in perspective, Brodie and Young were both available to play midfield all year long. Fyfe was declared a forward.

Couldn't agree more with this. If you look at our make-up, we have a couple of pure inside mid bullies/extractors in Fyfe and Brodie, but almost everyone else can play elsewhere. This gives us massive versatility and means we can afford to use the sub as a weapon, to ratchet up midfield dominance, rather than have a Banfield, Jack of all trades type on the bench. We lost more than a few games out of the middle last year so I'm stoked this is being targeted.

Of all the players coming through, Johnno excites me the most as he's currently shaping up to be Mundy/Fyfe with a set of wheels. Cooper has started brightly and, given our height and competitiveness i50, Sharp's depth of delivery should be a massive boon.

Not getting too excited this year, but I'd back this team to win a few of those close ones we lost last time around.

On SM-G988U1 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Interesting that JOM hasn't been in the midfield mix at all this pre-season.
He had a poor season but it was his first in purple. It was a dumb trade to begin with because now he will be playing out of position and if may further impact both the team and his performance. Ideally both JOM and Switta would be replaced by the kids but that ain't going to happen.

Couldn't agree more with this. If you look at our make-up, we have a couple of pure inside mid bullies/extractors in Fyfe and Brodie, but almost everyone else can play elsewhere. This gives us massive versatility and means we can afford to use the sub as a weapon, to ratchet up midfield dominance, rather than have a Banfield, Jack of all trades type on the bench. We lost more than a few games out of the middle last year so I'm stoked this is being targeted.

Of all the players coming through, Johnno excites me the most as he's currently shaping up to be Mundy/Fyfe with a set of wheels. Cooper has started brightly and, given our height and competitiveness i50, Sharp's depth of delivery should be a massive boon.

Not getting too excited this year, but I'd back this team to win a few of those close ones we lost last time around.

On SM-G988U1 using BigFooty.com mobile app
If we find a player later in the draft, as we seem to have done with Simpson, it gives a great opportunity to build depth. Our history is pretty good in that regard, but after paying for Jackson it was a great draft. Delean too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Training Preseason 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back